• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tactical bolt knob on "light"big game/coyote rig

chucknelson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Alberta
I'm considering a badger style knob on an 8lb 700 .243 in a McMillan compact and am thinking it might be a waste of a good bolt handle. Convince me that they do more than just look tacticool. Are there any advantages to such a conversion?

Re: tactical bolt knob on "light"big game/coyote rig

First, there are many advantages. Most serious shooters don't give two shits about what is "tacticool", they use what works and don't use what doesn't.

For your situation based off of your limited information, a tactical bolt knob is a waste of money and a knob.

Personally, I like the feel afforded by an aftermarket knob. However, I prefer ones that are on the smaller side, such as Karl Kampfeld's hunter knobs, or the PTG knobs.

Re: tactical bolt knob on "light"big game/coyote r

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, there are many advantages. Most serious shooters don't give two shits about what is "tacticool", they use what works and don't use what doesn't.

For your situation based off of your limited information, a tactical bolt knob is a waste of money and a knob. </div></div>

Please don't lump me in with the "serious" shooters.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any advantages to such a conversion? </div></div>

Cosmetics mainly

DSCF3782.jpg

DSCF3783.jpg

I had this knob on a 6.8 remington. It was a fairly low profile and worked really well.

Do you ever hunt with gloves? If yes...then a over sized bolt knob is very handy to have. I have them on my hunting rifles.

Take care,Stan

I just put a EGW knob on my Savage, I like it but I noticed that due to it's added length,I have a tendency to put allot of side load on it while cocking, I'll have to get used to it.
But on my Remingtons I see no need for one.
Curt

It's totally personal preference. Many people, myself included, prefer a little bigger bolt knob: especially when wearing gloves. Now, the advantage of the original Remington style is it's very low profile and less likely to snag in the brush. There's something to be said for that also. I do think that some of the knobs are a bit too big: the badger being a case in point. You'll have to decide for yourself. If you are not sure, then try someone else's rifle before doing anything to yours.