• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tactical Bolt Knob or Bolt Handle Replacement?

arborpro

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
New York (upstate)
I have a rem 700 short action. And was thinking of having the bolt knob replaced with a tactical type that many of the gunsmiths perform on this forum. But I’m unsure if I wouldn’t be better off replacing the entire bolt handle as the factory bolt sweeps back and down quite a bit. Where I think straight out and up slightly might be better for bolt manipulation, but that may interfere with the scope during operation.
Any preferences or suggestions? Anyone here perform handle replacements?
Thanks
Scott

Re: Tactical Bolt Knob or Bolt Handle Replacement?

Scott, you wouldn't want a handle that had any up-sweep on a Rem 700 because you would always hit the handle or your hand on your optic. The factory bolt handle barely clears some optics as it is. You can notice on the gunsmith installed knobs that they are larger in diameter but that diameter is farther out away from the receiver.

If you want a knob that isn't swept back, I would suggest trying our Bolt Lift. However, many people are very happy with their gunsmisth installed knobs, and I'm sure there are gunsmiths on here who replace the whole handle. I think Tubb or PT&G make a whole replacement handle.

Justin

Thanks for your order, if you aren't happy, please let me know. As an aside, someone posted a picture of a perfectly straight Rem bolt handle somewhere yesterday. If I can find it, I'll post a link. There wasn't any info on where they got it though.
Justin

I've done a couple straight out before, but I wouldn't change the angle up or down significantly, for the reasons that Justin pointed out. The fore-aft angle of the handle is really a matter of personal preference, but I like them at the factory angle.

CIMG0789.jpg

-matt