• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Games questions.

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
Howdy all. I am really interested in participating in the tactical games come end of April 2022 at the sawmill here in SC. I hear it will absolutely kick your ass and is very difficult. I'll be 100% honest in the fact I have no idea where to start and I think It may be a bit over my head. I have experience with 3 gun/ 2 gun. What more should I be doing to prepare myself for such an event? I haven't signed up yet since I don't know what to expect. I'm 6' 1" ~150lbs and have 5 years of martial arts training when it comes to my physical abilities. If you have done these tactical games I want your input. Thank you for your time. -Austin

Reactions: ChidJ
Tac games are fun to watch.

Don't feel bad when you see that some of the women can and do kick the asses of 90% of the men there.

There's this >6' redhead....

Reactions: M8541Reaper
There's this >6' redhead....
youdoknowher.gif

Being 6'1 and 150 means you'll probably want to add a few pounds. The shooting isn't too difficult, but moving for time can get a lot of people. Move fast on the movements and focus on shooting consistently. I've seen a lot of people (me included) that miss a lot of easy shots because they're too focused on the time. Of course I've also seen a lot of folks time out because they couldn't move fast enough for the physical portion.
I've seen weights from 40lb sandbags thrown to 200lb bags lifted over a yoke. If you're only 150, you really will want to consider building some more strength. If you have a strong martial arts background, you should have a well developed anaerobic system and be fairly nimble. I've only done a couple and volunteered at one, but just my .02.
I would start practicing heavy carries, yolk carries, squatting (even better if you can find a strongman stone), deadlifting to build that posterior strength, oh and being able to get an axel bar above your head.....to carry.

Reactions: Awag1000
Being 6'1 and 150 means you'll probably want to add a few pounds. The shooting isn't too difficult, but moving for time can get a lot of people. Move fast on the movements and focus on shooting consistently. I've seen a lot of people (me included) that miss a lot of easy shots because they're too focused on the time. Of course I've also seen a lot of folks time out because they couldn't move fast enough for the physical portion.
I've seen weights from 40lb sandbags thrown to 200lb bags lifted over a yoke. If you're only 150, you really will want to consider building some more strength. If you have a strong martial arts background, you should have a well developed anaerobic system and be fairly nimble. I've only done a couple and volunteered at one, but just my .02.
I would start practicing heavy carries, yolk carries, squatting (even better if you can find a strongman stone), deadlifting to build that posterior strength, oh and being able to get an axel bar above your head.....to carry.

Don't forget carrying the double ten gallon water jugs coupled with monkey bars and the 1 mile run.

Rope climbs.
Wall climbs with ropes and or grippers.
Weighted sled pulls.

The games are a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: endlesscoffee
Don't forget carrying the double ten gallon water jugs coupled with monkey bars and the 1 mile run.

Rope climbs.
Wall climbs with ropes and or grippers.
Weighted sled pulls.

The games are a lot of fun to watch.
I think they've actually gotten rid of the rope climbs for the most part. Had a few too many people fall flat on their backs. Grip game needs to be strong though. The time to start training the grip is yesterday. I'm hopeful for the next season there will be some more aerobic events included. It's been a little too close to crossfit lately.

I’ve done two skirmishes. If you’re not used to manipulating your gear, start there on the firearms part. Since you shoot competition, I’d focus on that part last. You’ll want to make sure your sling doesn’t catch on stuff when transitioning, able to retain/reload mags, rifle to pistol transitions, and etc.

A good way to shake out your gear is to do workouts with all of it on and dryfire in between exercises. If you plan on shooting suppressed, you better have a suppressor cover. I watched one dude dump his rifle after burning the crap out of his hand. Luckily his rifle was unloaded, but still embarrassing if you’re that guy…don’t be that guy.

They had these 250lbs sleds we had to push, pull, and flip. I’m 5’5” 170lbs and that damn sled was taller than me. That thing was a nut kicker. Therefore, some things you just can’t prepare for and just need to embrace the pain and push through it.

Just signed up for the Ohio event, so yeah - time to get my ass kicked :cool:

This time of the year, I'm mostly doing weight training and working on low-level cardio since it's the off-season for cycling. I did a better job of holding onto my fitness through late fall/early winter, so hopefully that momentum will be maintained through the next few months.

Tactical games are such entertainment, where the main emphasis is on tactical thinking, the competent location of units, and their skills.
LOL

Upping your post count with nonsense like this isn't going to help you.

You need cash

Tactical games are such entertainment, where the main emphasis is on tactical thinking, the competent location of units, and their skills. But don't they do this in the Total war series, so why isn't it a tactic? And here we come to the phrase "the main focus." Yes, kicking unwashed barbarians with a Roman sandal, in League of legends, we use tactics to some extent, but the game itself is not about that at all. It's about strategy, plans, and whether it's necessary to rebuild free toilets in the city to improve the mood of residents. Strategic steps are important here, from scripts lol-script.com, the whole game and the future of our empire depend on it, and you can skip the fights. This same opportunity already says a lot about something.

Clearly you have no idea whatsoever about tactical games outside of Mommy's basement.

This thread and the entire website is about shooting firearms, not playing with porcelain poo palaces in a video game.

I did Day 1 of the Tactical Games Ohio event this past weekend (decided to skip Day 2 and return home because my dad fell Friday and had emergency surgery on Saturday to replace an old hip implant - turns out that he's doing fine because he's a tough bastard).

My observations:

1) Compared to an all-day slog like the Wolverine 5K or a typical adventure race, this event was all about 10-minute bursts of activity separated by a few hours of boredom. Train accordingly. Also, have something to do between stages.

2) The majority of the shooting at this match was through holes in plywood barricades at relatively small targets. Train accordingly.

3) One stage involved shooting out to 400 yards. The guys with LPVOs generally did better than those with magnifiers behind red dots, and those without magnifiers were not enjoying life. This was only one stage out of seven, but the time penalty for misses at 200+ yds (20 sec) was double that of normal and this stage had a decent round count (30 rounds total through the rifle, and 24 of those were subject to the double time penalty). Since one is not allowed to change optic setups between stages, choose wisely.

4) The scoring system (total time to complete the stage + time penalty for misses) would seem to emphasize accuracy over speed, but the par times for the stages are tight enough that one can't afford to take too much time setting up each shot.

5) TTG has introduced procedures that require "staging" the rifle at the firing line instead of running around with it slung. Or at least that's what they said at the briefing; one stage required taking the rifle on a 1-mile trail run, and the floater stage involved a transition from rifle to pistol. Don't leave your sling at home, and make sure it's appropriate for securing the rifle during movement.

6) Have space on your gear for at least four pistol and four rifle mags.

7) Make sure that you can run and lift in your full kit. I mean, this seems obvious, but it apparently needs to be said. I really gotta give props to the G-Code belt and ANR Design holster that I recently picked up - this setup just plain worked during the various rigorous activities, and not one did it interfere or cause a distraction.

It was a fun event - a very poor match to my skills and fitness, but that's my deficiency, not the Games. The staff was knowledgeable and did a nice job of explaining the stages. Every competitor that I engaged with (mostly my fellow Intermediate competitors plus some Tactical division guys in adjacent squads) was open, friendly, and happy to share advice and strategy. I'm looking forward to a chance to do it again.