• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Tactical Impact, TV show

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I was just wondering if anyone here has watched this show?
    First of all I have noticed big flaws in just about every episode.
    A couple of weeks ago they had a sniper drill where the spotter is telling the windage and elevation drop and the guy reaches for the focus knob on the left and moves it one way then back to where it was before then goes to the elevation knob moves it right two clicks then left two clicks. I am just tired of all these 'Tactical' shows that have posers for their host.
    If I am wrong about these guys then let me know!

Re: Tactical Impact, TV show

Its on the Sportsman Channel. And Larry Vickers and Aaron Roberts are the hosts for the show. They have their own website if your cable company, LIKE MINE, doesn't carry that channel.

Cut

Tactical Impact

They lost me after doing a "What weapon would have been better" segment about the Mogadishu battle from 1992. No shit.. if the troops would have had 2009 weapons, they could have done better. Made no sense.

GardDog223 said:
    They lost me after doing a "What weapon would have been better" segment about the Mogadishu battle from 1992. No shit.. if the troops would have had 2009 weapons, they could have done better. Made no sense. [/quote

Thats what I always thought! These two need to retire and shut up or get their facts right and offer a good show instead of this bull they keep feeding us!

I haven't seen the show but it sounds like a lot that I have worked on in the past. They tend to rent weapons from collectors who teach the actors a little about it. Sometimes they will hire a consultant. But it comes down to the director. You can tell him the right way to do it but if it doesn't look good to him or if it isn't tacticool enough he will just do it his way. The rifle owner might have told them not change his settings. A gentleman that had been doing this for a long time once told me, there's the right way and then there is the Hollywood way. the Hollywood way pays the bills.

Guys,

You do not know who these people are that hosting the show.

Both of them have done things you have dreamed of.

Its a TV show, if you want the real deal. Go see a Military Recruiter. Both of them have.

BTW, Mr. Vickers has been in 1st SFOD-D for a long, long time. Aaron Roberts was with the 10th Mountain LRS teams and was the a trainer at Blackwater for a good LONG time.

I would get your facts right and give respect to these men.

Just because they make some TV adjustments of the windage/ elevation knob to "play" the role does not make them FAKE. Hell I know of a member here that did some of the shooting for them at Rifles Only when that was filmed there.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

BTW, Mr. Vickers has been in 1st SFOD-D for a long, long time. Aaron Roberts was with the 10th Mountain LRS teams and was the a trainer at Blackwater for a good LONG time.

I would get your facts right and give respect to these men.

</div></div>

+1000

I have followed Mr. Vickers' work for quite some time and would not dare use the "p" word in the same sentence. I am less familiar with Mr. Roberts' work, but he has my respect until proven otherwise.

I understand they are both previous servicemen but I just wish they would stop acting and if they have so much experience then why do they fake their adjustments? I am just saying give the viewers a little more respect by letting us watch something that will teach us something new instead of what gun he would have used in the Alamo! Because of their service they are patriots, all I ask is that if they are going to host a show with their background experience that it be legit that’s all. Truth is they might not write the show and just do as they are told ether way from two guys with their backgrounds would probably be annoyed at the same thing if they watched it in a different show.

TV shows are entertainment. If you ain't being entertained, don't watch the shows.

Lots of TV shows go astray. Look at <span style="font-style: italic">The Unit</span>, which had a former Delta guy as the guiding force, for awhile, then the show descended into soap opera - and not good soap opera - and self-destructed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TV shows are entertainment. If you ain't being entertained, don't watch the shows.

Lots of TV shows go astray. Look at <span style="font-style: italic">The Unit</span>, which had a former Delta guy as the guiding force, for awhile, then the show descended into soap opera - and not good soap opera - and self-destructed.
    </div></div>

Your right the Unit was a great comparison. It was good and now its being dropped due to its lack to entertain and lack of story.
    I have stopped watching the Tactical Impact due to their lack of entertainment, I know writers can screw things up along with producers and such but when you have two guys with the experiance they both share then I think they have what could be a great educational show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to Larry a while back and he said they're hoping to get picked up by one of the bigger channels. </div></div>

Ask Larry if they do get picked up if there show will be better or the same? Becouse If I were in a 1972 action flick I think I would use modern day computer graphics instead.

I figured I would revive this thread. Larry has a new show Tactical Arms that he does with two other guys. I have yet to see it but have it set on the TIVO. Maybe it's better?

It is somewhat better.The other one was not bad.

Have a friend that served with Vickers.Said he was one of the best shots in the unit and a good operator.Based on that alone,cut him some slack. It is TV after all.FWIW

Larry Vickers is the real deal, been there, done that many, many times. Don't like the show, don't watch it, but unless you have 1/100th of the real world experience Vickers does, you might re-think your poser usage.

If you have additional questions about Vickers, take a class from him, he's an incredible instructor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: labman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larry Vickers is the real deal, been there, done that many, many times. Don't like the show, don't watch it, but unless you have 1/100th of the real world experience Vickers does, you might re-think your poser usage.

If you have additional questions about Vickers, take a class from him, he's an incredible instructor. </div></div>
    I understand that he is 'The real deal' Thats the only reason I started this subject. I have a close friend who has spoken with Larry and has served years in the special forces, he did not understand why Larry couldn't have changed the elevation knobs himself, instead he used the focus knob as he told people he was changing the elevation. I know the poser comment was out of touch but my point was is that someone with the experiance of Larry should offer the true deal to the viewers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is somewhat better.The other one was not bad.

Have a friend that served with Vickers.Said he was one of the best shots in the unit and a good operator.Based on that alone,cut him some slack. It is TV after all.FWIW </div></div>
    Watched the new show, not as bad due to the fact he isn't forced to say stupid things like before. It has not been on long enough to know if the writing will belittle the veiwers or not. The new show I would love to see Vickers try to do would be the new Special OPs Mission on the military channel. I bet the special ops guy on the show would have Larry down first shootout. If anyone knows Larry like they say they do ask him to go on the show and prove his skills. The new show however is much better so far.......Larry needs to work out or something he is getting winded on some of the slower exercises.

Why?

20 some years of real world experience, retiring from CAG, one of the most looked after trainers in the world and you think some staged TV show is going to prove what?

I seem to think back in 1989 on 20 Dec when he was one of the leads in braking in the Modelo prison during Just Cause is good for me.

but hay, look at it how ever you want too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone knows Larry like they say they do ask him to go on the show and prove his skills.</div></div>

Vickers is without doubt the real deal. Besides his military experience, he's won national championships in action shooting.

He teaches frequently around the country in classes which are open, if you want to evaluate his training. Lots of people on this web site have trained with him, and says he's an excellent teacher.

TV is designed to be entertainment. If you want training, go train.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why?

20 some years of real world experience, retiring from CAG, one of the most looked after trainers in the world and you think some staged TV show is going to prove what?

I seem to think back in 1989 on 20 Dec when he was one of the leads in braking in the Modelo prison during Just Cause is good for me.

but hay, look at it how ever you want too.
    </div></div>

Do doubt Larry has done more for this Country than I could ever even wish of. He is a true PATRIOT!!! Some of the comments were just to wire up some of the conversation on here. I am supprised at the fact though that I keep hearing about all these people who have trained with him and not one of them comes on here to back the guy up. I do still want to see how he would do in the other Tv show I mentioned. Bottom line Larry against me would be me getting my ass kicked and quickly. I just watched one dumb show and started a thread about it and like I said before (WITH ALL OF LARRY"S EXPERIANCE I WISHED FOR SOMETHING BETTER) and his new show so far is better! Good for Larry to get a better show with much more information on real life drills. I just hope that everyone knows that I in no way am trying to attack Larry for all he has done for the United States, he has done alot. I never even said he was a bad teacher. Whats funny is the show had two Host and I have not heard one thing about the other guy. Aaron Roberts is a former U.S. Army soldier. After the military he went on to become a Texas State Police Officer and was a Primary Firearms and Tactics Instructor at Blackwater Training Center. He is a highly regarded firearms and tactics instructor. Thanks for all the info on Larry though he has had a great Career and hope to see this new show do better than the last!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone knows Larry like they say they do ask him to go on the show and prove his skills.</div></div>

Vickers is without doubt the real deal. Besides his military experience, he's won national championships in action shooting.

He teaches frequently around the country in classes which are open, if you want to evaluate his training. Lots of people on this web site have trained with him, and says he's an excellent teacher.

TV is designed to be entertainment. If you want training, go train.
    </div></div>
    Hey Lindy, Prove his skills was a bad comment on my part I think he has proved enough in his past career.

Took a class from Hackathorn and he told me about the show so I watched. I wasn't that impressed with the first season. I do however like this seasons changes and watch it weekly.

Hackathorn is an incredible shooter/instuctor and he has nothing but good things to say about Vickers. That's good enough for me.