• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Tactical Knives

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
How do we not have a tactical knives thread?
Post your pics and any relevant comments.
I'll start. Here is my latest - a Benchmade Osborne. The S90V blade steel and carbon fiber handles got my attention. It's one of the sharpest knives right out of the box I've had.
20230925_181459.jpg
20230925_181521.jpg

I like the Osborne, nice pocket knife.

But what makes it "tactical"?

To me, the definition of "tactical" is just something that is useful, utilitarian, and does the job that you entrust it to do. A $3 apple peeling knife would be tactical if you are sitting at a mall table eating an apple and somebody goes "ALLAH AKBAR" next to you and pulls out a grenade and you scramble the contents of his neck real nice and good with that thing before he pulls the damn pin...

"Tactical" used in a marketing sense is just a sales gimmick. I've seen "tactical underwear" for sale out there. Yes, you read that right. Camo and with paracord all over it. Whatever floats somebody's boat I guess...

In my opinion a tactical knife must be one that can be opened one-handed. Pretty much rules out slip joints and lockbacks but would include automatics, flippers, assisted flippers, liner locks, and frame locks, and fixed blades of course!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Hey Clayman, that big colored fixed blade reminds me of the old Hide Fighter knife. I always wanted one of those so bad I couldn't stand it but I just couldn't afford it.

Dawson, Strider, Chris Reeves (which I carried one like it in Iraq)

I’ve lost 3 knives overseas lol. Had 2 stolen via TSA, and had to give up 2 cause I forgot they were in my bags.

I have some bad knife energy or something. My kitchen knives have been easier to hold on to so I put my money into them lol

Forgive me for my ignorance… what makes a knife like a Benchmade worth the cost premium over some of the other options out there?
Thanks

Probably the component materials. The patent on the axis lock has expired so some others are using it. Blade steel is a big factor. Magnacut, and S90V are expensive.

Probably the component materials. The patent on the axis lock has expired so some others are using it. Blade steel is a big factor. Magnacut, and S90V are expensive.
Is edge retention that much better with those steels? I’m thinking more for a hunting knife if that matters. I find that some of the buck knives I have are at the point where they need a touch up sharpening just to get through a deer

Is edge retention that much better with those steels? I’m thinking more for a hunting knife if that matters. I find that some of the buck knives I have are at the point where they need a touch up sharpening just to get through a deer
From my experience it is. I do mostly field dressing, and I’ve found with a freshly sharpened S90V blade, it’ll get me through an elk without noticing it slow down too much towards the end. S30V isn’t bad or some of the other high carbon steel iterations, but I always wished I had the patience to pause and sharpen during a field dress when using it.

BM 940-1 Osborne was the first quality knife I'd ever got. Through a series of trades I eventually turned that into a Hinderer XM-18 M390 no choil spanto which I've daily carried for probably the past 6 or 7 years. Just added a CRK Sebenza 31 magnacut drop point to the rotation so the Hinderer could take a break.

1000010109.jpg

Reactions: Rookie
Just an fyi but hailey has the grey toor darter included in the Black Friday sale and I think it’s still going on. Believe it’s $70 off the top for a bad ass knife. Have multiple toor knives you won’t regret owning one.

A friend just gave me this as a gift yesterday. Kind of a late birthday and early Christmas.

It's a cheapy stabby that is surprisingly sharp. I'll put it on the belt for EMTB rides in the FS.

20231201_101507.jpg

my s90v blades hold an edge longer than the softer metals. still easy enough to sharpen enough to shave arm hair.

i always liked the benchmade axis locks. didnt know the patent ran out so will have to seek those out

benchmade use to make some pretty cool knives. not so much anymore, IMO. they really stepped on their dick with the gun destruction thing though
IMG_3123.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BLEE
Forgive me for my ignorance… what makes a knife like a Benchmade worth the cost premium over some of the other options out there?
Thanks

It affords you the opportunity to support the DNC via their executive, employee and corporate donations.

I quit buying Commie-Made a long time ago, but I still own a few.

My EDC is light, simple and holds an edge well. I need only strop it to bring back the edge.

p3372412809-5.jpg

Buck has a proprietary heat treating process for plain old 420 stainless. It's the best you can get with 420 that I've found, but it still isn't great.

I like D2 tool steel. It's not stainless, but it holds an edge and takes a hell of a beating. It's also a bitch to sharpen. I bought a work sharp belt sander after buying D2 blades.

For stainless S30V or S90V are solid.

You don't have to spend $300 on a knife. You do need to spend $75-100 to get into the better stuff.

As an added bonus I've lost a bunch of $20 knives. Haven't lost a $100+ knife yet. Something about nicer tools, you tend to pay a lot more attention.

Missing from this picture is my Esee 6 that lives on my hiking pack. Benchmade has gone crazy with the prices lately so I've started to gravitate towards Hogue and Spyderco.

Attachments

• 20230819_192628.jpg
    20230819_192628.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 34