• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Mini 14 vs AR

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I recently realized that the EBR/M14 might be the best battle rifle out there, and as a result would that mean the mini 14 could possibly be the best 5.56 semi-auto carbine out there.

I have loads of civilian AR experience, but none with either the M14 or the mini 14.

The EBR is quite an impressive upgrade to the full size M14, so it makes me curious how would people compare an EBR/tactical mini 14 to the venerable AR. Of course on the basis of accuracy, smooth operation, durability, ergos, modularity, etc.

Re: Tactical Mini 14 vs AR

? Is there really a vs here,

the Mini14 sucks big time and even after tons of green is being poured over it to "fix" it, a decent AR will out shoot, out ergo, out price it at all times.

I wonder why anyone free to choose would go the Mini14 route.

In Sweden were I reside, AR for most people and uses are a big no-no, no permits are being issued,

however Mini14 permitts are.

I have seen, played with and shot a few of them, with 1,5-3 MOA results from solid field positions,

for me it´s a useless bullet slinger in semimode, that is however my opinion,

not a fact.

/Chris

I haven't owned one personally nor shot one, but everywhere I have read about the 14's they all have an accuracy problem. I do love the way they look and want one so bad but just can't bring myself to drop that much cash for a rifle that doesn't seem to be accurate as the price tag is big. However I am a total greenhorn in the tactical rifle game but that is my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently realized that the EBR/M14 might be the best battle rifle out there, and as a result <span style="text-decoration: underline">would that mean the mini 14 could possibly be the best 5.56 semi-auto carbine out there.</span></div></div>

No.

I think that wraps that up.
wink.gif

A team used them...... Thats why they never hit anybody!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgj2025</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A team used them...... Thats why they never hit anybody!!!! </div></div>

You beat me to it damn:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No.

</div></div>

+1,000,000!!! And just to add to that sentiment...HELL NO!!

The EBR stock is a worthwhile upgrade on a nice Match M1A but on a mini-14, it's just not worth it as the Mini-14 is just not a platform designed for accuracy.

In semi-auto 5.56 or .308, it's really hard to beat the AR platform for accuracy at a reasonable cost. There are tons of different options and builds available.

My suggestion would be to step back from the "Battle Rifle" plan and think of what you want to do with the rifle, how you want to carry it, where you want to shoot it and how much weight you want to hump around, accuracy vs running longer unmaintained etc & then pick a platform and options based on what you would use it for.

My father has one he bought new several years ago, and it was the first .223 rifle I ever shot. I love the rifle, and I guess it is one of the ones they actually made accurate as it has very good MOA at 100 yards even with iron sights.

But, with this said, I would not compare it to my AR15 any day. I am confident that if I was in a situation to where I would going up against the mini-14 with my AR, I would be dominent.

In the race of .223 between Mini14 and AR15, the AR platform will be on top.

Even the worst throw together AR i've shot, still grouped better than the target mini-14 i had.

When I was younger I was convinced I could make a mini 14 shoot well. I guess some of what they say about youngsters is true. The rifle never performed consistently or to my expectation. I put quite a bit of time and effort as well as $$ and did extensive work including heavy barrel conversion.

When the Anchorage Police department got its SWAT (They called them CRT) team, I was tasked to provide the inital rifle training.

They were using Minis and to tell the truth THEY SUCKED. I had to reduce the range to not shooting anything past 200 yards. I would only do that if the Capt. in Charge agreed to send two of the 6 members to my sniper school I held later.

None of the Minis shot worth a hoot. I got some ARs (M16A1s) to compair. There was no compairson, either in accuracy or reliability.

They later dumped the guns. I got a Mini later to see if I could make it shoot. I couldn't.

No Sir, you can keep them.

Outerspace said:
I recently realized that the EBR/M14 might be the best battle rifle out there, and as a result would that mean the mini 14 could possibly be the best 5.56 semi-auto carbine out there.

I have loads of civilian AR experience, but none with either the M14 or the mini 14.

The EBR is quite an impressive upgrade to the full size M14, so it makes me curious how would people compare an EBR/tactical mini 14 to the venerable AR. Of course on the basis of accuracy, smooth operation, durability, ergos, modularity, etc.

http://vimeo.com/3945205

Try to find a Mini 14 mag in a Katrina situation, and if you did, you run a 50/50 chance that it is for 7.62x39. Spend a fer dollars more and get a Bushmaster, Rock River, or simular AR and never look back. I built my first one in 1985 and never looked back. Good luck, JPG

i have bothe and can tell no the mini 14 does not compair.

fun gun but thats a s far as it go's

Nope, can't compare the two but I do have a soft spot for the Mini-14 and would like another stainless rancher to set aside.

I've had several of both AR's and Mini's and the AR is better all the way around, hands down

I've owned a mini 14 Ranch rifle for years. I bought it with my old man because he wanted one. I bought the rifle and he bought the scope. He is a rancher in Texas and hauls at least 1 rifle with him at all times. He doesn't baby it. It gets dirty, beat and banged around. He shoots coyotes, bobcats, crows and anything else he decides to throw down on. He has carried it year round for better than 10 years. It looks like he'll with grit and dirt and chewing tobacco juice on it, however it's never failed to serve him when he reached for it. He shoots whatever ammo is on sale at Wal-Mart and doesn't care what brand it is. For those guys here who have been to my place to shoot, you know Butch is rough on his equipment. I'm sure your application is not going to be the same but as far as a reliable good gun for closer than 300 yards it's hard to beat.
AR15 it's not. Not even in the same class but still a good rifle. If you're looking for an AR-15 buy one, if your looking for a truck gun to haul around, buy the Mini14.

I have owned both and would agree the AR is better on every front, except for situations like living in California for one to have an AR it must have a fixed 10 round magazine. The Mini-14 is not banned by name or features (if it has no flash hider/bayo lug)
so guys like me that have preban normal-capacity mags can have them and run them. I would not buy one at current retail prices under any circumstances. One thing about the MINI-14 is that it will go bang every single time barring a mag or ammo failure.

The older Mini 14s are notorious jam-o-mattics. They have apparently recently undergone a bit of product improvement, and apparently the ones after a certain serial number actually shoot pretty decently. Still, the AR will tend to be a little more accurate. And I don't know how Ruger managed to make a gas piston design LESS reliable than the AR's direct impingement operation, but they sure as hell did it. The Mini-14 is NOTHING like the M-14. It shares a little bit of external resemblance, and that is about it. The sights suck. Also, parts for the AR are much more widely available and cheaper. It is quite easy and cheap to accumulate enough spare parts for your AR to keep it running through thick or thin in a survival situation. Not so much with a Mini 14. The AR is about the easiest rifle to put whatever type of optics setup you want on. Not so much for the Mini-14.

Another plus is that with an AR, you can use the enemy's magazines and other parts. That is, if you run out of 7.62x51 for your M-14!
wink.gif

The Mini 14 that I had in the early eightys was very reliable with any ammo I ran through it. It would even feed dented or bent ammo and keep on going. Accuracy was never as good as the AR, but at 1.5 to 2 MOA, it was good enough to get the job done.

By the way, who is the enemy that's using the AR's?

I have had several of both and right now I have no mini but I am in the market for one. I have 4 AR's if that tells you anything. But I will say that I believe the mini is more reliable from my past experience but as far as accuracy my m4's are more accurate than my friends target mini 14. You won't find mini mags as easy but like the guy up above said. If you want a good beater gun that needs to be reliable without having to shoot very far. 2-300 yds. the mini is hard to beat

The newer Tactical and Target models are fairly accurate. Not AR accurate, but decent accurate.
Like the AK-47 they're designed for reliability. My Mini has NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. And, they don't crap where they eat like an AR (piston types excluded).
Hands down more reliable. MUCH easier to break down and clean- no tools needed. You need to stick to factory mags, tho- not hard to get, nor expensive anymore.

They wouldn't have lasted 30+ years in production if there wasn't something to them.

I don't think it's a matter of "which", other than a semi-auto .223 they're completely different guns. Have one of each...:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently realized that the EBR/M14 might be the best battle rifle out there, and as a result would that mean the mini 14 could possibly be the best 5.56 semi-auto carbine out there.</div></div>

Well your #1 theory is RTFO so I will leave you alone for the reas of the ideas.

While I am willing to admit the EBR was a short term stopgap system in the Military, its not a Battle Rifle in any shape of the imagination, and the Mini-14 is about as wrong as two boys fucking...

Horrible ergo's, woeful accuracy, reliable slightly better than Toad Bailey's newest Speshul Weapun craptastic HK rip offs, whats not to like
crazy.gif

I've shot the mini side by side with my AR. To me, the mini isn't nearly as comfortable. I think that was mostly due to the lack of a forward grip. For some reason, I couldn't get a solid MOA group or better. The AR got really close to MOA. It seems like other people out there have had the same problem.

SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Outerspace said:
and the Mini-14 is about as wrong as two boys fucking...

Horrible ergo's, woeful accuracy, reliable slightly better than Toad Bailey's newest Speshul Weapun craptastic HK rip offs, whats not to like
crazy.gif

</div></div>

Wow...

You're a company representative for KAC?

You don't think this comes off as just a tad "unprofessional"?

I'm all about saying what you think, but bashing a competitor's (if you want to call Sturm Ruger a competitor) product with that kind of vileness is something that I've never witnessed before- and hope I don't, again.

The Mini-14 was developed and produced to be a lower cost alternative to LEO applications than the then available AR15. Accuracy was impossible with the loose tolerances Ruger used to ensure reliability and low production costs. Why do you think not until very recently did Ruger decide to make an AR15?

Knowing this, does it make sense why everyone is laughing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Outerspace said:

crazy.gif

</div></div>

Wow...

I'm all about saying what you think, but bashing a competitor's (if you want to call Sturm Ruger a competitor) product with that kind of vileness is something that I've never witnessed before- and hope I don't, again. </div></div>

Ruger makes some nice products, the Mini is not one.

I've owned a few and come off seriously disappointed with all three Mini's I had.
Accuracy was between Minute of Barn Door and Dreadful.

I don't consider Ruger a competitor, and I offered this as a personal opinion from my experiences of carrying a gun for over 20 years over a million rounds thru the M16FOW and owning a bunch of other guns as a 'gun guy' to offer an opinion that the Mini-14 is not something I would recommend to someone looking for a 5.56mm Weapons Platform, which the OP seemed to insinuate.

Pardon me for offering an educated opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer Tactical and Target models are fairly accurate. Not AR accurate, but decent accurate.</div></div>

Until the harmonic weight thingamabob rattles off the barrel, then the accuracy disappears. Yeah, you can accurize a mini but why bother when you can get an AR? You'd just be wasting money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the AK-47 they're designed for reliability. My Mini has NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. </div></div>

Neither have any of my AR's, and except for the one with a really tight chamber they all eat wolf too.

The mini has been and always will be a POS in comparison with the competition.

Ruger 10/22 = Great!
Ruger Mark II pistols = Great!
Ruger Single Action Revolvers = <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Good Enough</span> Great!
Ruger Bolt Guns = Good enough!
Ruger Mini 14 = Shit!

/end

And yes I've owned at least 2-3 of each.

I think a banjo would be a better weapon than the mini 14. A banjo at least has a good chance of hitting something! And they can double for an instrument in a pinch!

Just curious, how did you "just realize" that the mini 14 might be the best combat gun?!? How does one just come to that conclusion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a banjo would be a better weapon than the mini 14.</div></div>

Yeap, just add a guitar and you can go terrorize some yuppies on a canoe trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a banjo would be a better weapon than the mini 14.</div></div>

Yeap, just add a guitar and you can go terrorize some yuppies on a canoe trip. </div></div>
1+ for both comments

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Outerspace said:

crazy.gif

</div></div>

Wow...

I'm all about saying what you think, but bashing a competitor's (if you want to call Sturm Ruger a competitor) product with that kind of vileness is something that I've never witnessed before- and hope I don't, again. </div></div>

Ruger makes some nice products, the Mini is not one.

I've owned a few and come off seriously disappointed with all three Mini's I had.
Accuracy was between Minute of Barn Door and Dreadful.

I don't consider Ruger a competitor, and I offered this as a personal opinion from my experiences of carrying a gun for over 20 years over a million rounds thru the M16FOW and owning a bunch of other guns as a 'gun guy' to offer an opinion that the Mini-14 is not something I would recommend to someone looking for a 5.56mm Weapons Platform, which the OP seemed to insinuate.

Pardon me for offering an educated opinion.

</div></div>
Kevin is correct in what he said. And if someone worked for a company that didn't believe in it's product or continually try to improve it then they are a sellout.
While I think there are some more accurate guns out there, I have shot an awful lot of rounds through KAC 7.62 rifles. I would take one over an M14 or M14 upgrade anyday. I have carried both the M21 and the SR-25 overseas and I choose the SR.
The mini14? I remember shooting one of these in the 80s. It blew then, and by the sheer numbers of them and the apparent comeback they are making, they blow now. The only tactical thing about the mini14 is that I can strip rounds out of the mags and put them in my AR.

If the mini was "the world's best 5.56mm battle rifle" they probably would have been issued to the armed forces. The AR is hard to beat.

Some people, you just can't educate.
The Mini's of old, are not the Mini's of today. That's just a fact...Ruger completely retooled the production line.

And KAC, everyone is entitled to voice their opinion. Just say you think it's a POS,... and leave it at that...if I had someone representing my company use the kind of language you did on a public forum, he'd be looking for a job. 'Nuff said, I'm outta here.

I find Kevin's frankness and humor a little refreshing

As for the Mini vs AR debate, no contest. The AR is more accurate and has had alot more development in the commercial and military circles not to mention successfully tested in combat.

These kind of threads always get people going. Some of them make people angry and violent. It's always the Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy kind of discussions. I have a mini 14 that was built this year. It has the heavier barrel and shoots like a champ out to 200 yeards with iron sights. I have a Bushmaster xm-15 as well. It's one of the best AR style rifles I've ever fired, including rifles in the Corps. The AR is a battle rifle and the mini 14 is not. It's not made to send hundreds of rounds down range in a couple of minutes. It's made to shoot a coyote or maybe even a deer, once a week. I agree the older mini's had issues, but a new mini-14 with a walnut stock is a really nice looking firearm, its compact and like I said the newer, thicker barrel makes alot of difference. And in a pinch it's just a deadly as any AR. So don't hate on the mini's.

I've always had a love hate affair with the minis. I've owned several of them and love the feel and reliability with factory mags. Had some of the good ol usa brand 30rd mags. They worked great at firing 15 rd. Literally like this: fire action cycles, ejects case, live round flys out the top of action, rifle chambers next round. Reliably, like clock work. The rifle its self ran rain or shine with the factory mags. My AR's were always more accurate though.

I think one of the biggest draw backs to the mini is that it's a ranch rifle trying to be a assault rifle. They're fine if your name is Jimbo and you want to hang it in the back of your pick-up for shooting frog legs for supper later. If you're looking for something that has an ever expanding amount universe of tacti-cool add ons, the AR is without a doubt the way to go!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always had a love hate affair with the minis.</div></div>

Minis for me have always been a disappointment and the only reason I have owned them is because of the AWB and gun laws here in Cali. It wasn't until the last few years that AR's really became a viable option here.

A mini is good to about 50-100 yards, after that you're better off turning it sideways in hopes of hitting your target with the ejected shell casing.

The thing I liked most about my Mini 14 was its trade in value toward a Daniel Defense M4. I got 500 from a gunshop. Wasnt even a ranch model. Really their is no comparison IMO. My mini 14 did always go bang and I think they are dependable. But so are my SKSs. I'll take a quality AR any day of the week.

I bought one when it first was made available to the public. It has the wooded hand guard. It functions fine with Ruger mags but not with aftermarket mags. With some ammo it is an honest 2 moa rifle for the first five rounds but that pencil thin barrel heats up fast. I have bagged Rock Chucks, Jack Rabbits and Prairie Dog with it. It is better than nothing in a SHTF situation but it would not be in my top 20 choices. I gave it two a young family member and told him to trade it for an AR when he could afford to.

No matter how many times it's stated, it falls on deaf ears.
New Mini-14's are NOT the same gun as the Mini's of old. Period.
Re-tooled production line. Heavier barrels.

It's not an AR, not supposed to be, never will be. It's a self-defense gun, truck gun, ranch gun.

Much more reliable than an AR, not as finicky about ammo and cleaning. Goes bang every time.

Why is it- that a Springer M1A, that costs more than twice as much, is no more accurate out of the box ( probably LESS so) than a Tactical or Target Mini, doesn't get the "can't hit the broad side of barn" haters??