• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Operation Delta 51

Iggy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Northern California
<span style="font-weight: bold">Tactical Operations Delta 51</span>

tacops13.jpg

I picked up my new Delta 4 weeks ago and like every Tac Ops owner I was very, very excited to pick it up. I didn't post pictures right away because not only did I want to shoot it, but I also wanted to write about it's performance in an objective manner. I think all too often pics get posted without there being some concise message on performance. Also, consider this an ongoing review of the rifle. I will update the thread when I have new info to post on performance.

So besides providing some nice pictures (well to the best of what I can take), I also wanted to offer some key info on ballistics, performance, cold-bore, fit and finish, and overall performance. The pictures themselves have been edited slightly to have an artistic look that I feel ties in with the artistic nature of the rifle. I also had to make sure the colors matched as closely as they do in reality, and I think I have achieved that with the photos.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specifications</span>

Here is the breakdown of the rifle.

•Remington 700 action, blueprinted, bolt knob installed and bedded to the stock.
•21" Kreiger 1:10 twist barrel, chambered in 308 Winchester, and it meets the action with a 1/4" recoil lug. The end is threaded with class 3A threads and capped.
•24 MOA two piece TacOps scope base.
•Factory trigger set to 2lbs.
•Williams bottom metal with a 5 round capacity.
•McMillan A3 stock, with cheek and length of pull adjustments, Anschutz rail, one flush cup on the front left, one flush cup on the rear bottom and complete texturing.
•All metal parts coated by Birdsong.

<span style="font-style: italic">Accessoires</span>

•Front sling/bipod stud adapter for Anschutz rail.
•Accu-Shot AFAR picatinny rail (waiting to have it returned from Birdsong).
•Short TacOps OD Dragbag.
•TacOps cheek pack in OD (waiting for the long straps from Mike).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Construction</span>

Like the legend goes of all TacOps rifles the fit and finish is superb. It isn't until you get to see one up close that you notice all the details. Every metal part of the rifle that is removable is coated by Birdsong. The action is very smooth, but locks up tight. It has been said before that the screws in the Anschutz rail are timed in the same direction.

tacops10.jpg

tacops12.jpg

Even small details in the engraving are incredible. Mike, matched my reticle to the "O" on his logo. The bottom metal has my company's logo, and the pictures do not do it justice. It was hard to capture but there are small lines throughout the thicker parts of the engraving. It's almost as though it was gone over in sections to give the logo "texture".

tacops8.jpg

tacops11.jpg

The rifle is truly a work of art.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ballistics</span>

The first time I shot the rifle was to get some idea of how fast it was shooting factory ammo so that I can gauge where to start my reloads. I shot two different weights of federal gold metal match on two different days along with some of my reloads.

The first set of reloads were rounds left over from my previous custom rifle. Performance wise they were about 50fps slower, but I also have 3" less of barrel now. The second set of reloads was to check for pressure. I didn't have any signs pressure and it's providing great speed to the 175 SMK's.

Here are the results:

<span style="font-style: italic">Day 1</span>
DA 1500
&#730;F 67.8
% Hum 62.3
inHg 28.27

TacOps Delta 51 168 FGMM
Series 1 Shots: 10
Min 2653 Max 2702
Avg 2677 S-D 17
ES 49

Series Shot Speed
1 1 2680 ft/sec
1 2 2702 ft/sec
1 3 2679 ft/sec
1 4 2670 ft/sec
1 5 2653 ft/sec
1 6 2665 ft/sec
1 7 2698 ft/sec
1 8 2658 ft/sec
1 9 2698 ft/sec
1 10 2672 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

TacOps Delta 51 175 Reloads 43.5 Varget
Series 2 Shots: 10
Min 2570 Max 2605
Avg 2582 S-D 11
ES 35

Series Shot Speed
2 1 2589 ft/sec
2 2 2597 ft/sec
2 3 2587 ft/sec
2 4 2573 ft/sec
2 5 2578 ft/sec
2 6 2570 ft/sec
2 7 2574 ft/sec
2 8 2572 ft/sec
2 9 2583 ft/sec
2 10 2605 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

<span style="font-style: italic">Day 2</span>
DA 150
&#730;F 55
% Hum 82.5
inHg 29.96

TacOps Delta 51 175 FGMM
Series 5 Shots: 10
Min 2590 Max 2631
Avg 2614 S-D 12
ES 41

Series Shot Speed
5 1 2613 ft/sec
5 2 2626 ft/sec
5 3 2606 ft/sec
5 4 2605 ft/sec
5 5 2613 ft/sec
5 6 2627 ft/sec
5 7 2610 ft/sec
5 8 2590 ft/sec
5 9 2631 ft/sec
5 10 2626 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

TacOps Delta 51 175 Reloads 44.5 Varget
Series 6 Shots: 10
Min 2672 Max 2707
Avg 2692 S-D 13
ES 35

Series Shot Speed
6 1 2707 ft/sec
6 2 2704 ft/sec
6 3 2693 ft/sec
6 4 2688 ft/sec
6 5 2707 ft/sec
6 6 2705 ft/sec
6 7 2695 ft/sec
6 8 2680 ft/sec
6 9 2675 ft/sec
6 10 2672 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

Mike stated that he has changed FGM reamers to allow a little more room for the factory 168's and that a little speed would be lost compared to previous reamers. My previous rifle was chambered with a 95 Palma reamer and from what I can tell the TacOps is about maybe 2 thousandths longer in the throat. For me this is ideal since the 175 can be seated a bit longer and I can try slightly heavier bullets.

I currently have some 185 grain Lapua Scenars to test. They are loaded at 2.112 to the ogive, and are touching the lands. I will update this thread when I get a chance to crono them.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Performance</span>

I have not yet tried to shoot for tiny groups. My first two outings were very quick and my main goal was get velocities so that I could shoot at the next local match. Whatever groups I did shoot would only shame the gun and Mike's work. I had not shot a bolt action in about a year so I was getting back into the groove of things. One thing I know for sure is that I can shoot 1 MOA or better on my absolute worst day.

My next range session was at a practice day with the Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club. I checked my zero in the morning and went off to get my dope out to 1000 yards. The day was typical of Sac Valley; windy and warm. While I was getting hits on the paper <span style="font-style: italic">most</span> of the time I was a little discouraged because I was still getting back into the swing of things. I was never a great shooter, but I was really rusty and I knew I'd be lucky to place a spot higher than dead last at my first match the next day.

The match day turned out to be great. Everything seemed to fall into place that day. There were a few times after a 3 shot string that my target would come up with only one spotter. Thinking I had missed my target due to wind, the pits radioed in that my shots are under one spotter. I was surprised and even more surprised when I got the same call at 900 yards. At the end of the match I saw my target and that string was under 3" at 900 yards with two of those only 1/2" apart.

I ended up placing 14th out of 43 and the only 308 in the first 21 spots. The kudos definitely go to the rifle. Just like Frank said, "Tac Ops rifles are lasers". I am the perfect example; first match with a new rifle, and not having shot in a year

My total elevation dialed for my load of 175 SMK's with 43.5 grains of Varget was 11MILs to get to 1k.

Below is my reported group along with the proof target from Mike.

tacopst.jpg

My goal is to update this thread with the following:

•Cold Bore performance. Clean Cold vs Dirty cold and how how much shift there is.
•Group performance. I want to personally improve my shooting to match Mike's target. At minimum I may test the performance using factory ammo in an F Open bench rest and bag. I'm curious to see what the rifle taking away as much of the human element as possible.
•Different ammo performance at distance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overall Impressions</span>

The hardest part of the whole experience was the wait. It took 16 months, almost to the day, to get my rifle from the time I gave Mike my deposit and my action. I have been asked by my friends if it was worth the wait. My reply has always been yes. Considering the accuracy of the rifle I would do the wait all over again. It is the most accurate rifle I have shot and owned. In hindsight, if I were do it again, I would not have sold my previous rifle until I received my Tac Ops. Shooting is always better than not shooting, although I did really polish up my pistol skills in the mean time.

One thing to keep in mind is that while Mike tries to keep to his promised time frame, expect it to change. Mike gives priority to LE and Military customers so their orders will always take precedence. Understanding that is key to dealing with the wait. I essentially had a "order it, forget it" attitude from the get go.

Mike did mention that he has changed the workflow of his shop in an effort to reduce wait times. His goal was to bring the wait down to 8 months or so for civilian orders. If your interested in getting one, I would call Mike now and check to see what the current time frame is for a Tac Ops. Regardless of the wait, you won't be disappointed with the rifle.

My final comment on the rifle, and in my situation the only limitation, is the lack of a detachable magazine. I figured out quickly at my fist match that I am at a significant disadvantage not having one. It's not because the rifle isn't accurate, but it's purely based on a speed factor. If I had to do any positional shooting I would have had some No Fires because of the time limits. I'm already talking to Mike about this to see if one could be added, and I'm looking for one that requires a minimum amount of inletting and no additional bedding to minimize the time at Mike's shop. So if you think you need one, tell Mike you want one from from the get go. It's not part of Mike's standard equipment, but he will install one if you ask.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Amendments</span>
Cheek Rest Stop
Tracking Plate

It not the end of the the review, but in the mean time I leave you with some more pics. If anyone has any questions or want to see additional photos, please asks me here.

tacops1.jpg

tacops2.jpg

tacops3.jpg

tacops4.jpg

Reactions: DJL2
Re: Tactical Operation Delta 51

Awesome!
One day I will own one....one day.

Congrats on owning an amazing rifle.

tacops13.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Delta 51</span></span> and a PMII 5-25X[56mm] DT MTC 0.1 MIL CCW - that's hot. Congratulations on getting your Delta 51 Iggy - great shooting, especially in your <span style="font-style: italic">"rusty"</span> condition with a .308. Really nice photos too.

Keith

Thats one hell of a nice platform and you did a awesome job of showing the detail of that rifle with those pics. Your floor plate is killer. It still amazes me to see the detail in their bottom metal and it's hand engraved, freakin insane.

Awesome write up! I'll definitely be checking back for more updates. Just curious... what made you decide to go with the Delta of all the Tac Ops rifles?

That's a fabulous review/report, Iggy.; thank you so much for writing it. I'm especially enthused to see to Delta perform so well at 900 yards, as I also have a Delta on order and have had a gunsmith friend tell me there's no way a 20-21" barrel will get me out that far. Hah!! Now I can email him the pictures and link to your post.

Congratulations on the excellent shooting, btw.

Yours,

David

Thanks for the comments guys! I will try to update this thread with relevant info as often as I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome write up! I'll definitely be checking back for more updates. Just curious... what made you decide to go with the Delta of all the Tac Ops rifles?</div></div>

I chose the Delta because of the A3 stock. I don't mean to simplify things too much, but essentially what you are choosing is the stock between different models of Tac Ops rifles. Not taking into account calibers and relative barrel lengths.

I don't like stocks with butt hooks since I have found that they don't ride the rear back as well under recoil, and limits the level of adjustability compared to a non hooked stock.

One thing to note, is I had a talk with Mike and explained to him what I wanted to do with the rifle and what my preferences were. He suggested the Delta based on what I wanted out of his rifle. It's another nice touch from Tac Ops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davidjschenk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a fabulous review/report, Iggy.; thank you so much for writing it. I'm especially enthused to see to Delta perform so well at 900 yards, as I also have a Delta on order and have had a gunsmith friend tell me there's no way a 20-21" barrel will get me out that far. Hah!! Now I can email him the pictures and link to your post.

Congratulations on the excellent shooting, btw.

Yours,

David
</div></div>

Oh man, you will be happy with the Delta! The key is the barrel. The 1:10 twist really stabilizes the 175's out of a short barrel. But I think with a 308 20-22 is the ideal length that compromises long range capability with maneuverability. I did find that I only lost about 50 fps from going 3" shorter from my previous rifle, and some of that could have been from shooting at a lower DA.

Unique rifle and nice setup!!!
wink.gif

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up my new Delta 4 weeks ago and like every Tac Ops owner I was very, very excited to pick it up. I didn't post pictures right away because not only did I want to shoot it, but I also wanted to write about it's performance in an objective manner. I think all too often pics get posted without there being some concise message on performance. Also, consider this an ongoing review of the rifle. I will update the thread when I have new info to post on performance.

So besides providing some nice pictures (well to the best of what I can take), I also wanted to offer some key info on ballistics, performance, cold-bore, fit and finish, and overall performance. The pictures themselves have been edited slightly to have an artistic look that I feel ties in with the artistic nature of the rifle. I also had to make sure the colors matched as closely as they do in reality, and I think I have achieved that with the photos.

Specifications

Here is the breakdown of the rifle.

•Remington 700 action, blueprinted, bolt knob installed and bedded to the stock.
•21" Kreiger 1:10 twist barrel, chambered in 308 Winchester, and it meets the action with a 1/4" recoil lug. The end is threaded with class 3A threads and capped.
•24 MOA two piece TacOps scope base.
•Factory trigger set to 2lbs.
•Williams bottom metal with a 5 round capacity.
•McMillan A3 stock, with cheek and length of pull adjustments, Anschutz rail, one flush cup on the front left, one flush cup on the rear bottom and complete texturing.
•All metal parts coated by Birdsong.

Accessoires

•Front sling/bipod stud adapter for Anschutz rail.
•Accu-Shot AFAR picatinny rail (waiting to have it returned from Birdsong).
•Short TacOps OD Dragbag.
•TacOps cheek pack in OD (waiting for the long straps from Mike).

Construction

Like the legend goes of all TacOps rifles the fit and finish is superb. It isn't until you get to see one up close that you notice all the details. Every metal part of the rifle that is removable is coated by Birdsong. The action is very smooth, but locks up tight. It has been said before that the screws in the Anschutz rail are timed in the same direction.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Iggy thank you for the kind words it was a pleasure for myself and my staff to build you your Tac Ops Delta 51. Feel free to call anytime and as I stated when you picked up your platform you have a lifetime warranty other then barrel life
wink.gif

Nice write up keep us up dated
smile.gif

Mike
Tac Ops</span>

Nice rifle.

Does anyone have a picture of a tac-ops rifle that has a decent amount of wear and tear? It seems like thees rifle's never get used. Has anyone even used one of these in a run and gun type competition?

Regards,
-Moon

Moon, I cant speak to comps but I know a handful of folks who use them at work. Tac Ops' agency sales have a long and interesting track record and client list..

Yeah there was a guy around here that had a Tac Ops rifle. it had gone through several changes and been worked hard. Still kicking last I saw it.
Sorry I can not remember who it was...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keelo51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats one hell of a nice platform and you did a awesome job of showing the detail of that rifle with those pics. Your floor plate is killer. It still amazes me to see the detail in their bottom metal and it's hand engraved, freakin insane. </div></div>

That's an amazing picture in your signature line! If they can do that with just a BDL plate, think of what Mike could do with the area of a 5 or 10rd mag!

To the OP, great post and very informative. Mike at TacOps is on my short list of future full-customs along with Robert Gradous and Chad Dixon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Iggy thank you for the kind words it was a pleasure for myself and my staff to build you your Tac Ops Delta 51. Feel free to call anytime and as I stated when you picked up your platform you have a lifetime warranty other then barrel life
wink.gif

Nice write up keep us up dated
smile.gif

Mike
Tac Ops</span>
</div></div>

Thanks Mike! The rifle is fantastic and it's definitely one I'll be keeping for a lifetime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

Does anyone have a picture of a tac-ops rifle that has a decent amount of wear and tear? It seems like thees rifle's never get used. Has anyone even used one of these in a run and gun type competition?

Regards,
-Moon</div></div>

Moon, I know someone who owns 3 TacOps rifles all of which have been run hard and one has over 4000 rounds.

I've only had mine for a short period of time so I have not been able to do a "run and gun" type of match, but I will as soon as I get a chance. Another thing to note is that Mike mostly build rifles for law enforcement who do not use detachable magazines. Not having a BDM really handicaps you in a "run and gun" match. That might be a reason why you might not see many of Mikes rifles in those types of matches. I'm waiting to see if Mike will install a DBM on my rifle so I'm not limited at events like this.

tacopsr1.jpg

After looking at rifles equipped with the KMW Loggerhead hardware I got inspired to make my own rendition of a stop for the adjustable cheek rest.</p>

The Loggerhead uses machined grooves in the retaining pillars in conjunction with a E clip to work as a stop at the shooters preferred height. Short of machining the pillars on my rifle I purchased some O-rings from the hardware store to serve the same purpose. It's not as sturdy as an E clip, but it's an easy way to keep the same height when I need to remove the rest to clean the rifle. One O-ring may be enough, but two provides a little more resistance from accidental movements that may cause the O-rings to move.</p>

tacopsr2.jpg

Here is a picture of the O-ring size that works great for the McMillan adjustable cheek rest.</p>

tacopsr3.jpg

Hopefully I will need these sooner rather than later but I will need them eventually...

very nice rifle. I just called mike 2 weeks ago to order the X-ray 51, so 1 more year to wait....but I'm still young!!!!
laugh.gif

tacopstp.jpg

One of my goals is to test my Delta for accuracy by taking out as much of the human element as possible. My friend has a very nice bench rest, but it requires the use of a wide stock or tracking plate. Since I may have an opportunity to do some testing this weekend, I decided to make a tracking plate since I couldn't order one in time so. I took a 3/4" thick piece of cherry wood and cut it 3" x 5" wide; coated it with lacquer and drilled two holes. I also used a piece of PVC as a spacer to help offset the wood from the texture of the stock. Although it's not pretty it will work for now. I really like how handy the Anschutz rail is.

If I get a chance to test the rifle this weekend I'll post up the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I get a chance to test the rifle this weekend I'll post up the results.</div></div>

Looking forward to seeing your results this weekend
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike R.
Tac Ops</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that's one hot rifle.....I need to get around to ordering one.</div></div>

Jason thank you for the kind words
wink.gif
Give me a call when you are GTG and I will be happy to work with you...

310-275-8797 I'm on coms from 10:30 am till 12:00 midnight seven days a week...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

Regards,
-Moon </div></div>

I had my Tac Ops for roughly 8 years and over 4K rounds. I will have to check my log book for the exact date and round count. I used it in 4 LE sniper schools, bi-weekly practices, multiple "field outings" and two years of monthly competitions. It has moved through several different stocks and coats of spray paint as my needs and shooting style have changed
smile.gif

We got surefire cans and NV so I needed to change a few things. In the end the NV mount was driving me nuts with the heavy weight so I sold the rifle and am moving on to a more specific platform for my direct needs.

That all being said, the rifle took years of use and abuse and still looks immaculate and functions sub- 1/4 MOA.

By the way, great shooting Iggy! I was on the line a few firing points down from Iggy when he shot those groups. He shot exceptionally well, and it was his first time out. He's very modest, a great shot and has a beautiful rifle. Little punk whupped my butt
smile.gif
I'll have to cover his firing point with rag weed and pollen next weekend!

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Reactions: DJL2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, great shooting Iggy! I was on the line a few firing points down from Iggy when he shot those groups. He shot exceptionally well, and it was his first time out. He's very modest, a great shot and has a beautiful rifle. Little punk whupped my butt I'll have to cover his firing point with rag weed and pollen next weekend!</div></div>

George I'm over here thinking things lol
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Ops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I get a chance to test the rifle this weekend I'll post up the results.</div></div>

Looking forward to seeing your results this weekend
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike R.
Tac Ops</span></div></div>

I didn't get a chance to shoot this weekend. I got crazy food poising and it put a damper on my weekend to say the least.

I got everything set up ready to go and I'm borrowing my buddy's Farley bench rest. I'll post pics of the groups once I get out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

Regards,
-Moon </div></div>

I had my Tac Ops for roughly 8 years and over 4K rounds. I will have to check my log book for the exact date and round count. I used it in 4 LE sniper schools, bi-weekly practices, multiple "field outings" and two years of monthly competitions. It has moved through several different stocks and coats of spray paint as my needs and shooting style have changed
smile.gif

We got surefire cans and NV so I needed to change a few things. In the end the NV mount was driving me nuts with the heavy weight so I sold the rifle and am moving on to a more specific platform for my direct needs.

That all being said, the rifle took years of use and abuse and still looks immaculate and functions sub- 1/4 MOA.

By the way, great shooting Iggy! I was on the line a few firing points down from Iggy when he shot those groups. He shot exceptionally well, and it was his first time out. He's very modest, a great shot and has a beautiful rifle. Little punk whupped my butt
smile.gif
I'll have to cover his firing point with rag weed and pollen next weekend!

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

</div></div>

George,

It was great to meet you at the match and thanks for all the advice! I don't think I'll be so lucky next time, we can chalk it up to beginners luck, but no doubt that I'm not limited by my tools. I won't be able to make the next match since I have to visit the GF's fam, but will be there for range cleanup and the next ones.

Next time I see the guy that bought your rifle, I'll snap some pics so folks can see a work TacOps.

On a side note, I have been mic'ing the dimensions of different cases and I found something interesting, but I will post my findings if I find something conclusive.

Reactions: George Mac

Wow that is amazing!!!!! Now I really miss my Delta!!!!

That test target is smokin!!!!

Not surprised though, have seen mine or rather formerly mine do inside 0.01 by not only myself but the new owner also. Mike sure knows how to build them.

Now I am getting all anxious about my new one again.

Iggy, was there any evidence of the 175's keyholing at 900 or 1000?

There was no evidence of any key holing. The data also says that the factory and reloaded rounds are supersonic at 1000 yards.

175 SMK is a great round for the 308.

Thanks for the info. I have a Delta 51 on order and was wondering about shooting the 168's vs the 175's. Have you had the chance to determine if there is any difference in accuracy between the two rounds at closer distances, or are you focusing exclusively on the 175's? Also, just out of curiosity, which bipod do you have mounted?

I will hopefully find out about accuracy on Monday if I can get out to the range.

I focus exclusively on 175's or greater because of the ballistics I can achieve with a short barrel. For the shooting I do, the 175's are the best in terms of long range performance and price.

For close to midrange, the 168's work great, but I like to have one round set up for all the shooting I do.

Man, talk about a dumb moment. I went shooting yesterday to test for precision and the day started out bad. I started by shooting off a bench and then prone and I could not get the gun to group to save my life. The group size varied from .5" to 1.5".

I figured I was just having a bad day so I mounted the skid plate and put the gun on my friends Farley Coaxial rest. I still could not get the gun to group. I was getting better groups, and when I felt dialed in it turned out to be very two small groups next to each other, but not consistently in the same spot.

I left scratching my head, discouraged and 85 rounds poorer thinking to my self, "I guess I'm that bad of a shot."

Getting home I decided to unmount the action and check to see if there was dirt in the bedding as I was cleaning my bolt, and there was the culprit, <span style="font-weight: bold">loose action screws</span>!

I felt like such a newb! I torqued everything back down to 65 foot pounds and now she's ready to be tested again, and no doubt with better results.

crazy.gif

Hi Iggy.,

I'm just checking in to ask how the rifle has been shooting since you re-torqued the screws. Also, did you mean to write "65 inch pounds" by any chance? I'm not trying to be a wise-ass or anything, it's just that 65 <span style="text-decoration: underline">foot</span> pounds is a lot of torque, so I figured I should double-check.

Yours,

David

David,

Thanks for checking in. Thanks for catching that! It was in fact tightened down to inch pounds.

After torquing down the action I did attempted to shoot the rifle on the Farley rest, but I didn't have good results. As it turns out, the A3 stock has a slight upward taper to the bottom of the for end. This proved to be detrimental to the recoil since as the rifle recoiled back the muzzle went up.

It just seemed to have bad manners on the bench rest, it almost seems like a natural reaction since it's a tactical rifle. LOL The groups did shrink up, but nothing like I would like to post.

I did however shoot another F class match, and I placed 4th with my 800 yard string mostly 10's and X's.

When I get more time I will try and hit the range early so that I can shoot prone and not get killed by mirage.

I have some 185 Lapua's that shot great when the action was loose, but I want to load some more to see if it was a fluke or if the rifle really prefers heavier bullets.

Excellent looking rifle and photography. I like the Delta much better. Maybe I should upgrade from the Tango! I love both of mine and really cant say enough about them.....they are truly great rifles!

Tango-51 with S&B and AWC Thundertrap.
IMG00292-20120627-1438.jpg

Delta 55 with Nightforce NXS.
IMG00300-20120703-1258.jpg

So I finally got around to do some shooting that was not a match.

I had some reloads to test out and five 175 FGMM rounds. Since I had taken the action and scope off I used the FGMM to check my zero. I shot 1 round and it was high, when I went to adjust the elevation I noticed it was at .5MIL. I didn't take the scope back to zero from my last 200 yard match, so i decided to shoot the rest of the rounds really quick so I could start my testing.

I managed to get a good group without trying much! This is also from a cold bore too. The lower two shots were two that I pulled and the cold bore shot is the at the top left of the 3 shot node.

Granted it's not as good as Mike's proof target, or what the gun is capable of, but it's still a laser!

09-29-12_TacOps.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: White Mamba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You going to sac this weekend?</div></div>

I won't make it this weekend. Our first harvest is starting this weekend in wine country.
frown.gif

I ordered an X-Ray 66 with a suppressor in August. The wait begins, but it will be so worth it!

Even with the flyers that's some impressive pre-zeroing, Iggy.

Have you ever tested the rifle to see what its farthest reach is before the bullets go subsonic? I'd love to know its maximum range.

Yours,

David

David,

I haven't shot past 1000 yards yet. It hard to find space like that in CA. If I ever do I will post the results!

The rifle has had a few things in works and it's about time for an update. While work has been keeping me from shooting any matches, the rifle has had some time at the range and a few upgrades.

The first is a cheek rest that I made. The rifle came with a very nice cheek pack, but I found that it got in the way when I practice shooting from my weak side. This cover provides a similar swede surface but it's equal on both sides, and I can remove the rest without playing around with a pack.

cheekpad.jpg

I then had various items sent to Birdsong to get coated, and here is where things get interesting. Originally, the stock came with an externally adjustable knob to tighten the clamp that holds the cheek rest in place. I also found this to get in the way of shooting weak side, and I couldn't tighten the knob enough by hand to keep the rest from slipping. I replaced it with a YFS bolt that was coated in Black-T. In the picture below you can see the original knob, the new bolt, and a crescent wrench all in Black-T.

blacktmisc.jpg

Here is the new bolt installed.

cheekbolt.jpg

In preparation to convert the rifle from an integral magazine to a removable one, I had a Surgeon bottom metal modified to my liking, coated to match the rifle and then had the AICS magazine coated in Black-T. I can't wait to have this on the rifle.

dbmside.jpg

dbmbottom.jpg

I had attended a practice session with my local club and the guys there turned my on to Jewell triggers. There is nothing wrong the tuned TacOps 40X, but I really like shooting with a 1lb weight of pull. I purchased a Jewell, but since it's all stainless steel, it stood out like a sore thumb against all the matte colors of the rifle. While it functioned perfectly, aesthetically it didn't match. Since fixate on details I had to coat the trigger in Black-T.

I ordered a second Jewell, completely dissembled it, and sent the parts minus some sear components to get coated. I was a little nervous after getting all the parts back, but after assembling the trigger and function testing everything, it functioned identical to the non coated trigger.

After all that the trigger matches the rifle and looks as if it came out of Mike's shop.

Below is the tuned 40X trigger, factory Jewell, and Black-T Jewell.

triggers.jpg

triggeraction.jpg

triggerbottom.jpg

triggerside.jpg

Lastly, I sold my ATLAS bipod and switched back to a Harris with the KMW pod-loc. I switched because I was having problems deploying the ATLAS with any speed, and the ATLAS would cant strangely when moving in the prone position. I miss the quality of the ATLAS, but for now the Harris is more practical.

harris.jpg

What I have left to do is my load testing. So far the rifle is shooting the 190 grain SMK's great. If I can get the right velocity behind them, they will be my new favorite bullet.