• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tactical scope for AR-10,flat top carbine, 7.62X51

Grumpydan

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
I am looking for a tactical scope that will work on my AR-10, 7.62X51 Carbine 16inch barrel.
I want to use it for LE training, target shooting and if need be hunting small pests (coyote, wild dogs, etc..)
I only plan on reaching out to 100 - 300 yards...
I was wanting to purchase the...
<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex 1-4 x 24 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope</span>
but I was told it may not work well on my rifle up to or past 300 yards so my second choice is the...
<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R 30mm Riflescope</span>
any other opinions or sugestion would be greatly appreciated.
I'm trying to stay in the $400.00 range

Re: Tactical scope for AR-10,flat top carbine, 7.62X51

I have a 2.5-10x44 Vortex PST on my Noveske 18" heavy and it works well for me so far. In your budget and purpose I'd suggest the Vortex between the two you listed.

Vortex is getting more and more popular with me. My spotter and that new little 15x Recon spotter are amazing optics for the price. I would look at the SS 1-4 too. It has great reviews.

I use the SWFA SS 3-9X42 for this application. It is a mildot reticle with .1 mil adjustment on well made target turets and FFP. At 3X the thicker outer edges of the reticle "grow" towards the center and give a good site picture for close range and low light. I have them on a LMT MWS and M1A NM and use them on steel out to 800 yards. I also use the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD and the quality of the glass allows shooting it far beyound 300 yards on steel.

LMT MWS with SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD at 700 yards
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

M1A NM at 600 yards with SWFA SS 3-9X42
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg}

there is the weaver 3-10x tactical from midway. mil/mil and $299 on sale this month

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpydan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a tactical scope that will work on my AR-10, 7.62X51 Carbine 16inch barrel.
I want to use it for LE training, target shooting and if need be hunting small pests (coyote, wild dogs, etc..)
I only plan on reaching out to 100 - 300 yards...
I was wanting to purchase the...
<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex 1-4 x 24 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope</span>
but I was told it may not work well on my rifle up to or past 300 yards so my second choice is the...
<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R 30mm Riflescope</span>
any other opinions or sugestion would be greatly appreciated.
I'm trying to stay in the $400.00 range</div></div>

why not look at vortex viper 2-7x32? Great scope for $170 at swfa

The 2-7x Viper just dropped to $149 at SWFA. I grabbed a few with the C3 reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 2-7x Viper just dropped to $149 at SWFA. I grabbed a few with the C3 reticle</div></div>

I saw that, great buy! I have a bdc one on my 6.8 and love it.

I can hit clay birds with my 1-4PST at 300-400 pretty much every time. I think I went 9/10 last I was at the range. The only reason I'm selling it is that I find myself doing nothing but target shooting with it and 4X just isn't enough for me. But for what you are talking about I think you'd love it.