• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use...

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Rich Emmons posted this in the PRS Finale thread, but I wanted to bring some more attention to it here as well. For all you new guys wondering where to start with equipment, this could be of some help to you. This is the gear that was used by a good sample of the best shooters in the country. You obviously don't have to use something on this list to be the best, but taking a look here could save hours and hours of reading to find some good info.

top14-1.png

15-45-1.png

endgear.png

calibers12-4.png
scope.png
reticle.png
stock.png
barrels.png

Reactions: WHITEY7886
Re: Tactical Shooters Equipment - What the pros use...

Dam, Jason, that's VERY interesting! Thanks for posting this!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam, Jason, that's VERY interesting! Thanks for posting this!</div></div>

Remember, all I did was copy and paste, Rich put in the hard work!!

Wow the amount of H4350 being burnt pushing berger 105 hybrids is unreal!!

And no one runs a 308...

That's a lot of valuable info, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And no one runs a 308...

That's a lot of valuable info, thanks! </div></div>

I wuz about to say the same. Breaks my heart since I luv my 308's. Just goes to show those guys ain't as smart as we thought they wuz.
cool.gif

Id say there are a lot of companies that had better look long and hard at this list.

If what you're making, isn't represented, you better figure out what you're products DON'T have to offer.

I think this makes it pretty obvious that what Nightforce HAS, doesn't make up for what it DOESN'T have.
I'm betting this changes after SHOT.

Surprised to see 6XC as popular as it is...though I guess I shouldn't be...

This is great information, we're trying to arrange a few tactical matches here in Sweden, is there anywhere I can read stage descriptions from any of the matches in the PRS to pick up some inspiration for our future courses?

Really surprised there's no more Rock Creek barrels being represented, 3 of the most accurate guns I've ever seen were Rock barreled guns.

This is very interesting, congrats to the big players.

Also notice how many Surgeons are up there
smile.gif
atta boy's

Surprised to see nightforce being outdone by vortex & bushnell. Maybe the hdmr deserves a closer look.

Jason why you want to call me other on the stock there brother?

I don't see jasonk on that list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddacguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason why you want to call me other on the stock there brother? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Remember, all I did was copy and paste, Rich put in the hard work!! </div></div>

Wrong tree.

I was wondering what you were going to do with this Rich. GREAT PLAY!!! Thanks to all the sponsors who supported the PRS Series prize tables this year. We buy your products and support your businesses!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And no one runs a 308...

That's a lot of valuable info, thanks!</div></div>

It looks like the .260 is the new .308

He shoots a .243 with the 115 DTAC's
Rather poorly in the last match...
laugh.gif

I love this info. It also tells me a really nice rifle the pros will be a killer on the wallet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surprised to see nightforce being outdone by vortex & bushnell. Maybe the hdmr deserves a closer look.

</div></div>

Most are first focal plane scopes that are being shot in these matches.

The other stocks happen to be a bunch of Rock Solids. Great info and the surgeon team basically shoot all 6xc. I shot against a few in a PRS match and they get work done. I think your 7mm stuff shines better in matches at further distances. Most matches are won inside 600 yards. Which all those calibers do better than 308. Nothing wrong with a 308 but there are so many better rounds if your willing to do the load development and spend the time and money fire forming. I shoot 7-08 and haven't got a great load yet but in time I know I can get it go out run and perform better than 260 and 6.5 creed. But those Damn 6mm are leading the way inside 1000 right now.

More like the 6MMs took over. Top 8 spots!!! Boom. 260 with 9 and 10 ain't bad....... but damn 6mm FTW!

One of the best posts I've seen since I've been here. If pictures are worth a thousand words than these graphs are worth millions.

Also the people wanting to know what brake to use, look at the list, jec along with the others are the way to go. I switched to a JEC this July after hearing from some of these shooters.

I find it amusing that I started a thread a week ago about how we rarely see this type of info from match results and whatnot. Nearly everyone replied something along the lines of "It's the shooter not the gear, you dont need that info it's irrelevent" Now the exact info that I was talking about gets posted and everyone loves it and not a single word about how it doesn't matter.

Jason and Rich, Thank you for the hard work and posting this. Like some others have said. Excellent info and some interesting trends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surprised to see nightforce being outdone by vortex & bushnell. Maybe the hdmr deserves a closer look.

</div></div>

Most are first focal plane scopes that are being shot in these matches.
</div></div>

and NF is missing the boat here....they will either catch a clue or continue to lose the market edge.

I updated the graphs to show Rock Solid, sorry there was a error there.
It's always been intersting to me. So thanks. What really is the true note of all this is that all the shooters at this particular match were running top notch gear.

As far a calibers there are trade-offs for everyone of them.

Well, they are right, these guys will shoot great if you have them all shooting Rem 700 .308s and Leupolds. Like the old saying "game of inches", this is a game of mm's. Regardless, I'm with you, I appreciate seeing the information. It will let a guy know where the markets moving. Companies should take note.

Lots of this stuff goes in trends, or when a new bullet comes out. A few years ago, 6.5-284 was all the rage, then 6-6.5-284 took over. Now we're back to seeing .284s. Who knows what will be next.

It I surprising the lack of NF scopes. Back to that F1 only being 15x I suppose. If only they had made a 5.5-22x F1, I'd have bought two or three of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It I surprising the lack of NF scopes. Back to that F1 only being 15x I suppose. If only they had made a 5.5-22x F1, I'd have bought two or three of them. </div></div>

That was exactly my point when I said this...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I think this makes it pretty obvious that what Nightforce HAS, doesn't make up for what it DOESN'T have.
I'm betting this changes after SHOT. </div></div>

Id expect to see at least one more FFP option, if not an entire line of FFP in the near future. Especially with Bushnell coming out with a 4-30 power scope with a FFP G2DMR.

NF is kinda dragging in the "advanced features" list...but I expect that to be changing very soon.

wow great info...thats so helpful...thanks

Great post and info. Thanks Rich/JasonK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It I surprising the lack of NF scopes. Back to that F1 only being 15x I suppose. If only they had made a 5.5-22x F1, I'd have bought two or three of them. </div></div>

That was exactly my point when I said this...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I think this makes it pretty obvious that what Nightforce HAS, doesn't make up for what it DOESN'T have.
I'm betting this changes after SHOT. </div></div>

Id expect to see at least one more FFP option, if not an entire line of FFP in the near future. Especially with Bushnell coming out with a 4-30 power scope with a FFP G2DMR.

NF is kinda dragging in the "advanced features" list...but I expect that to be changing very soon. </div></div>

If they made the 5.5-22x FFP and stay under the 2k mark or atleast be competitve with the Razor they would probably sell like hot cakes.

This is giving me anxiety that everything I know is wrong...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find it amusing that I started a thread a week ago about how we rarely see this type of info from match results and whatnot. Nearly everyone replied something along the lines of "It's the shooter not the gear, you dont need that info it's irrevelent" Now the exact info that I was talking about gets posted and everyone loves it and not a single word about how it doesn't matter.

Jason and Rich, Thank you for the hard work and posting this. Like some others have said. Excellent info and some interesting trends. </div></div>

That's because your username isn't colored, and your post count is only in the low 100s.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
brake-1.png
</div></div>

Notice what the most popular one is here
smile.gif
NONE!!!

That's what I like to see.

At least if you are on the line next to me
smile.gif

Best Regards
Scott

No SWFA SS scopes? Wonder why... Guess I should re evaluate my decision on going with the 5-20x50 SS and pinch pennies untill I can get a Vortex or Premier. Berger being the choice pills to load doesn't surprise me though.

Not to take anything away from any of the products these shooters use, but people need to remember a large chunk of these shooters are sponsored and that will obviously effect what they use. Of course they want to win and won't use something that doesn't work.

Never mind the fact most of these guys could beat us with factory rifles & cheap scopes.

Even with a speed limit it is obvious that running a 6mm is the way to go, the accuracy, wind cheating, and low impulse are really tough to beat!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHEEPDOG762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No SWFA SS scopes? Wonder why... Guess I should re evaluate my decision on going with the 5-20x50 SS and pinch pennies untill I can get a Vortex or Premier. Berger being the choice pills to load doesn't surprise me though.</div></div>

Don't discount them, my two highest match scores of the year (5th and 8th) were shot with SS 5-20 scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never mind the fact most of these guys could beat us with factory rifles & cheap scopes.</div></div>

Ya know, it'd kinda be neat to see an IROC of Precision Shooting.

Have all the shooters use the same type of rifle (say Savage 12LRP, 700 5R, etc) in the same caliber (260 or 308) with the same optic (Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP or Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 G2DMR) and the same ammo (Federal Gold Metal Match).

I think it'd be a pretty cool way to REALLY see how factory equipment performs in the hands of top-tier marksmen...and how they fare with it.

Thanks for posting; this is fascinating information.

I was a bit surprised by the # of Bushnell scopes, and the dominance of H4350 powder. It was also interesting to see that no McRee Precision chassis were listed. (I own one of these (6.5 Creedmoor) so that kind of surprised me.

It would also be informative to know which shooters were sponsored by who.