• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Solutions AR-22 Upper Ammo Question

IronMaidenFan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Palm Beach, Florida
The owner's manual recommends CCI Blazer, Federal 550 and American Eagle High Velocity. So far I've used the CCI and 550 but have experienced FTFs where the bolt is unable to push the next bullet into the breach. Is this to expected since the thing is brand new?

I'm curious about which brands/types of ammunition other AR-22 have been using with success.

Thanks!

Re: Tactical Solutions AR-22 Upper Ammo Question

They don't do well with Timney or AR Gold triggers. If you have one switch to a mil spec. Try to CCI AR Tactical Copper Plated ammo. Shoot about 500 rounds, cleaning often with Kroil, then it should do much better. These uppers seem to shoot some ammo well and not shoot others at all but most report great results with the cci ar stuff. After several thousand rounds, mine shoots most stuff fine now but still does best with CCI AR Tactical.

Since my KAC lower has an AR-Gold trigger that's valuable information. Therefore I returned the Tac Sol upper today and bought a S&W M&P 15-22 MOE. End of problem!

Try using the hypervelocity rounds from Aguila. I shot a couple of bricks and works everytime. CCI does good as does the federal and winchester now. Remington bullets still give me malfunctions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since my KAC lower has an AR-Gold trigger that's valuable information. Therefore I returned the Tac Sol upper today and bought a S&W M&P 15-22 MOE. End of problem! </div></div>

For the small price difference I think you did the right thing. I wish I had just bought a M&P and been done with it.

I put 300 rounds of CCI SV and 300 rounds of CCI Subs through the M&P yesterday with the Sparrow attached and not a single misfire. I've very pleased with the weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put 300 rounds of CCI SV and 300 rounds of CCI Subs through the M&P yesterday with the Sparrow attached and not a single misfire. I've very pleased with the weapon. </div></div>

What kind of accuracy would you say you are getting compared to the TacSol upper? I know it wasn't working well but I thought you may have gotten enough off to tell. With my upper, and using CCI green tag it seems to hold about 2 1/2" at a 100 with a flyer every now and then being way off.
Hows the trigger compared to your timney?

Mine likes SK standard and Wolf, < 1" at 50. Every now and then I get a FTF, not many though. CCI mini mags are 1"+. CCI SV will not run it mine at all.
I have a RRA 2 stage that has been polished up a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What kind of accuracy would you say you are getting compared to the TacSol upper? I know it wasn't working well but I thought you may have gotten enough off to tell. With my upper, and using CCI green tag it seems to hold about 2 1/2" at a 100 with a flyer every now and then being way off.
Hows the trigger compared to your timney? </div></div>

I never got the chance to shoot the TacSol further than 25 yards. I had taken it to the range to zero the scope but never even got that far.

The M&P has only been used at the indoor range so far. I was just playing "Billy Blast Off" with it to make sure it fed reliably, which it did. It will make its first visit to the outdoor range this week.

I have an AR-Gold trigger in my KAC, not a Timney. The M&P has a basic single stage trigger that is fine but doesn't merit comparison to the AR-Gold.
smile.gif