• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical training and equipment

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    I’ve noticed that more civilians are getting into tactical training. All sorts of nice bdu’s and gear out wazoo. Run and gun drills where everything is designed to challenge the shooter. Are those types of courses and training expensive and how did y’all go about getting into this?

511xohPWZ4L._SL1080_.jpg

It sure did. Is there a kit that one buys that has all the basic stuff one needs to do the tactical stuff?

Last edited:
    There sure is, it's the Tactical Timmy Toolkit available on Amazon. You can get a version on Wish but it takes longer to show up. They ask you at the courses if you've got the kit and you can't start Day 1 without it. They don't like you piecing together your own kit based off your own needs but some places will begrudgingly let you.

Learn to shoot in the 3 basic positions first. When you think you're good, shoot for another year. Once you have shooting and all aspect of shooting down pat, then you can worry about tactics.

Those newbies who go to these types of classes have more dollars than sense. You can't do until you can. Learn to shoot. Hire a coach, do whatever you need to do to become and ace with a gun and not an ass with a gun.

a lot of the MARSOC guys i train with swear by this kit

I hope you're having a good laugh but I've spent more on one knife than the entire price of that "kit". Not trying to crap on your parade, but that stuff isn't much better than what you can find at Harbor Freight.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    I think I have the shooting from the 3 positions down pretty good. I shoot almost every weekend and have for a long time.
    Did most of y’all buy the kits and replace the crap kit stuff as it breaks and with good stuff? Money is tight and some stuff is expensive. What’s basic items are on the “must have” shopping list of gear needed to do this?
    What’s up with the edge weaponry? I appreciate a nice blade as much as I do a nice rifle. I already have some big ass knives that work or do I need knives shaped like the ones in the kit?
    Is there competitions, if so what sorts of prizes can you win and where are they located? I’d look it up but I don’t know what it’s called. I live about 20-30 minutes away from UF in Gainesville Florida. Lots of shooters in the swamps of north Florida. One’s gotta be around here or about a hour away in Jacksonville.

I think I have the shooting from the 3 positions down pretty good. I shoot almost every weekend and have for a long time.
    Did most of y’all buy the kits and replace the crap kit stuff as it breaks and with good stuff? Money is tight and some stuff is expensive. What’s basic items are on the “must have” shopping list of gear needed to do this?
    What’s up with the edge weaponry? I appreciate a nice blade as much as I do a nice rifle. I already have some big ass knives that work or do I need knives shaped like the ones in the kit?
    Is there competitions, if so what sorts of prizes can you win and where are they located? I’d look it up but I don’t know what it’s called. I live about 20-30 minutes away from UF in Gainesville Florida. Lots of shooters in the swamps of north Florida. One’s gotta be around here or about a hour away in Jacksonville.
    Sorry, I was being an ass because I thought you were mocking it. I’d look for training programs in your area, and then see what’s needed for the classes. Some programs have progressive levels, which makes sense, right? You don’t want someone with questionable handling skills jumping into a multi weapon scenario based course that’s over their head and capabilities. Start off with a basic course, get up to speed, move through the curriculum and then you’re working with other people that have gone through the same training and are presumably at similar skill levels. They can be a lot of fun. Another thing to consider would be USPSA or local club pistol matches. Different than tactical training for sure, but could scratch your itch for running and gunning.

Hi,

Hey wait, what......

1. Muscle memory has saved your life?
    2. You have used a firearm to save your life?
    3. You have NO idea as to what type of gear is needed?

You have to be trolling right!!!

View attachment 7691899

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Yes I was in the service. I know and have done lots of stuff but I must admit I don’t know everything. I ask questions because I don’t know and I’m interested.
    I hear guys are having lots of fun with tactical training. That sorta stuff had always been reserved for active duty military and law enforcement. I like shooting and having fun too. What, are prior service members barred from participation? I know what gear I used in the service but that shits ancient. I’m retired military and camp blanding isn’t far. I could try and hangout when they’re training but I don’t think they’d like that. I thought everyone knew guys that join the service often like shooting and blowing shit up.
    I don’t understand why you would think I was being a “troll”. I haven’t criticized anyone. Am I missing something here?

I heard a couple of older vets at the va talking trash about civilians dressing up in camos and doing tactical training scenarios. They basically thought paying for weapons training was stupid. However, what I heard was that I could get some door kicking, runnin and gunnin training for nominal fee. A couple of places have mixed classes where they’re training military, law enforcement officers and civilians together. Those courses are a little pricey.
    The only reasons I can think of for ex military guys not liking it is they never liked shooting or the expense. Otherwise they’re just haters that wish they could afford to play too. Don’t be so damn sensitive my gosh.

I’d not know why anyone WOULDNT do this having read some basic American history.
    Totally agree. I would imagine the training is pretty fun too. This Covid-19, riots because police killings and failed coup attempt are only the latest security problems we’ve seen. Remember the old attorney couple that stood outside their home showing the passing BLM mob their guns? They were criticized for holding their weapons like we did in the 1980’s. No big deal but they should have taken a more recent training course. I know first hand the value of training.

All I'd tell you is vet your trainer, and go with an open mind. OK, maybe also don't be the guy that shows up in a 5.11 tuxedo, either. ;-)
    You’re damn right, vet the trainer. I’m sure there’s tons of dirtbags misrepresenting their qualifications. “Green eye tactical” has several courses that look good but I’m gonna have to do my due diligence.
    I’ll leave my tuxedo with tails and top hat at home this time. I wouldn’t want the other guys to have feelings of inadequacy over being underdressed for the occasion. 😂

You’re damn right, vet the trainer. I’m sure there’s tons of dirtbags misrepresenting their qualifications. “Green eye tactical” has several courses that look good but I’m gonna have to do my due diligence.
    I’ll leave my tuxedo with tails and top hat at home this time. I wouldn’t want the other guys to have feelings of inadequacy over being underdressed for the occasion. 😂

I think his point was that you don't have to show up dressed like this:

tactical_assault_gear_full_outfit_sdo20l.jpg

• Haha
    Reactions: Baron23
    Have any of you guys actually signed up for and completed tactical training courses for civilians or are y’all messing with me? Any nut that shows up for training with the military and law enforcement in a Halloween costume isn’t there to learn special tactics.
    I’ve spent a lot of money over the years going on hunts for exotic game and the shooting sports as a whole. I don’t see any difference in paying thousands to go hunting or to kick doors in, shooting and blowing shit up. It’s all about learning new stuff and having fun.

Being in FL, heck being in Gainesville with GTR right there, a quick google search will show you that there are quite a few places near you that offer the exact classes you seek…

Being in FL, heck being in Gainesville with GTR right there, a quick google search will show you that there are quite a few places near you that offer the exact classes you seek…
    They seem to be geared more for teaching basic firearms safety. There’s tons of BS places hustling education but I figured someone here would have had some first hand knowledge of the good ones. I’m talking about cqb and urban combat sorta training but thanks for trying to help.

Last edited:
    They seem to be geared more for teaching basic firearms safety. There’s tons of BS places hustling education but I figured someone here would have had some first hand knowledge of the good ones. I’m talking about cqb and urban combat sorta training but thanks for trying to help.
    I’m not military or LEO, but there’s a mil/LEO-only section on this site. Betcha get some responses there? https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forums/m-h-s-a-military-le-only-section/

Don’t know how you get access, or if regular military folks are allowed or if you have to be all secret squirrel spooktactular?

All I do is shoot at tiny rodents that don’t shoot back, so I got nothing for ya.

Have any of you guys actually signed up for and completed tactical training courses for civilians or are y’all messing with me? Any nut that shows up for training with the military and law enforcement in a Halloween costume isn’t there to learn special tactics.
    I’ve spent a lot of money over the years going on hunts for exotic game and the shooting sports as a whole. I don’t see any difference in paying thousands to go hunting or to kick doors in, shooting and blowing shit up. It’s all about learning new stuff and having fun.
    I have done a couple courses in the last six months (for work). One of those was not mil specific, the other was tailored to my mission set and is broadly applicable to folks outside the military (no, I'm not special... unless you ask my mom). In neither course did I wear my OCPs or body armor ;-). Obviously, if you show up looking like milsim/airsoft/LARP, that's one thing (please, dear God, don't be that guy). Going full on REI or 5.11 is what's called the "shoot me first" outfit. Though perhaps not unreasonable for training, it blends in about as well as the photographer vests the IDPA guys like so much.

I'm not trying to fan girl, but for your training dollar you could do a lot worse than grabbing a block of the Sentinel Course from TMACS. That might be a little more holistic than you're looking for.

I’m retired military but the active duty and LE guys look at us retirees as geriatrics. They typically won’t let us join in the fun. I can’t even get range time on the local bases. They make me check my firearms in at the gate. It’s really pisses me off too. They’re the ones that got me into shooting.
    I’d appreciate you guys letting me know if y’all learn of something like I’ve tried to describe.

I hope you're having a good laugh but I've spent more on one knife than the entire price of that "kit". Not trying to crap on your parade, but that stuff isn't much better than what you can find at Harbor Freight.

I also like the quote on the page:

"Contents will vary"

And, oh yeah, this:

"Case not included"

Personally, I'll wait for the Ninja in a Box. I hear it has nunchucks!

Reactions: Tchitcherine
    All I'd tell you is vet your trainer, and go with an open mind. OK, maybe also don't be the guy that shows up in a 5.11 tuxedo, either. ;-)
    Lol, you get a like just for “5.11 tuxedo”

I’m retired military but the active duty and LE guys look at us retirees as geriatrics. They typically won’t let us join in the fun. I can’t even get range time on the local bases. They make me check my firearms in at the gate. It’s really pisses me off too. They’re the ones that got me into shooting.
    I’d appreciate you guys letting me know if y’all learn of something like I’ve tried to describe.
    Once again, a google search shows Altus and JTAC ranch has what you seek…and I’ll double down on GTR as they run IDPA and 2/3 gun and the training and those courses/events will help with honing your skills

Reactions: jcmullis2
    hahaha....can't stand that motherfucker.

Ah, @jcmullis2 - you are being treated much nicer than this backyard ninja who come on the board and asked what part of his snipery kit he was missing.....haven't seen him since! haha Don't know about 5.11 Tuxedo, but you prob don't want to show up looking like this tool! LOL

Cheers

1630161201105.jpeg

I think we’re talking apples and oranges here. I’m looking for something like urban warfare stuff for LE and Military that’s open to military retirees or civilians.
    I can’t believe I’m the only guy that would pay to kick doors in, blow doors off the hinges and assault buildings with flash bangs and moving from room to room clearing buildings of bad guys.
    If you guys wouldn’t enjoy that sorta stuff y’all are messed up.

• Haha
    Reactions: TheBigCountry
    I think we’re talking apples and oranges here. I’m looking for something like urban warfare stuff for LE and Military that’s open to military retirees or civilians.
    I can’t believe I’m the only guy that would pay to kick doors in, blow doors off the hinges and assault buildings with flash bangs and moving from room to room clearing buildings of bad guys.
    Airsoft

Kit up, walk around Chicago playing a banjo 🤷‍♂️

Hi,

I think you are missing the fact that all that kicking in doors, assaulting buildings and room clearing is absolutely something that cannot be taught in a 1 week, 2 week or 1 month training course.

It takes months and months of trust building on those mil/le teams you keep referring to as examples before they conduct live fire room clearing and assaulting and we are talking about guys that have passed multiple selections just to get to that point.

Last thing someone wants to do is got shot in the back while going through a doorway because the guy behind him has an entire 3 days of training in such a situation.

IF you find a facility that does what you are looking for can you please ask them to show you their insurance policy and update this thread with their coverage because I can guarantee to you most will not have one.

Sincerely,
    Theis

James Yeager sells all the tactical masturbation that you can handle

Nah...I was USAF. We just dropped one down the chimney. LOL

James Yeager sells all the tactical masturbation that you can handle

Too funny, my friend. I remember dressing up and playing "Combat"...well, when I was about 8 y.o. LOL

Those videos were hilarious...in a sick, WTF is with these jamokes, kind of way.