• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tactical vs. Practical. Need help building hunter/ range rifle.

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys... I only have money for one custom build right now.
Going off my 700 long action. Either 308 or '06. Heavier profile 20"-22" barrel.
Having a hard time finding the balance in a rifle that will serve double duty. I'm not a serious competiton shooter, but I do love the range.
I do hunt in the Colorado mountains and the hills of Arizona and California.
I think it all comes down to what stock/ chassis I go with.
I love the XLR chassis but I have a hunch that its too heavy, and not as durable as a McMillan or HS precision.
I need it to be rock solid and light weight, while being able to put a DBM in it.
Please show pictures of your "tweener" rigs and PLEASE give all the specs!
I want it to look badass so don't show any lame girly sticks...only badass rifles setup for any hunting situation AND any target/range scenario.
Thanks girls

Cant go wrong running the .308
if it has to fill both spots in hunting and competition i'd run the .308 with a 22" barrel on a McMillan varminter.
pm in route

How bouts a Tikka T3 lite in a Manners T4...

null_zps5c67d8cb.jpg

Pretty good as a hunter and a ranger, I'd think

I have been happy with my Sako TRG 22 with 20" barrel in 308 for a combo hunting/ tactical rig. It weighs about 10 pounds before optics. If you put a lighter weight scope on it, it is a surprisingly handy rig, even with a suppressor. The barrel contour is medium palma if that helps with barrel selection. I hiked it all over the place in CO recently and it's no big deal, especially if using a scabbard backpack (nice to have when you fall over crossing a stream in the dark!). I really do not think I would want it any lighter or it would not be as nice to shoot!

TKAB

Last edited:
null_zpsa0c5c0c7.jpg

Savage 10 action
McGowen 20" 260 barrel
McMillan A5 and CDI DBM
Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44

140s @ 2700fps...

If you're looking for a tactical match rifle that could also be easily carried for hunting I'd look at these specs:

Manner's stock with mini-chassis with DBM....leave out the adj cheek and if you want to cut more weight spring for the 90% carbon fiber.
A medium Palma or Remington varmint contour barrel in the 20-22" length - it will be light enough to carry around but still perform for matches. If you want the next step up, go M24/M40...but, no heavier.
Either caliber will work...so whatever you plan on doing more of....mostly hunting - I'd probably stick to the '06. Lighter recoil, less powder, more common components....308.

This is a photo of my AAC-SD... 20" Rem Varmint bbl, 308, McMillan A5. Heavier than a typical hunting rifle, but still light enough to hump around (about 10-11lbs).
thrust.jpg

Heavy tactical rifle...about 16lbs dry. M40/M24, 26" bbl. Manners T4A mini-chassis.
eetz.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks guys!! That's all exactly what I was hoping to see.
Really leaning towards the 20" .308 with a medium palma barrel or a fluted M24/40 barrel.
I really like the manners t4a stock.
My ideal stock would probably have an adjustable cheek and butt pad but also be sleek and not as clunky as the typical tactical stocks.
BEAUTIFUL guns by the way

My ideal stock would probably have an adjustable cheek and butt pad but also be sleek and not as clunky as the typical tactical stocks.

Manners MCS-T or T3 might be the way to go.

Here's my tweener.

Rem 700
CBI Rem-age 18" light varmint, 6.5x47 barrel
Manners T5A with APA dbm
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 (to be replaced with the 42mm when it shows up)

c3469fef-b1eb-4bfa-aeef-f05eaab5a18a_zps1b0dee90.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever you decide on caliber, look at a Micky GameScout stock, and consider EDGE fill to shave weight...

I'm doing something similar with my latest build.

I went with one of the new Manners EH stocks, very, very light.

This rig weighs 11.6 lbs, fully loaded, with scope (heavy ass NXS) and rings (no bipod). That is with the 26" varmint contour barrel in .243. When I re-barrel I am planning on a 23" fluted barrel which should shave about 1 lb off the rig. So is "should" come in around 10.5 lbs +/-.

It will eventually be a .260, which I think is a good caliber for hunting and range work.

It works as a .243 just fine for now though.

is the XLR chassis any heavier than the Manners options? I thought they are all around 4lbs?

what is the weight of your T5A set up pyplynr?

I'd guess it's around 4lbs. It's standard fill. I don't have to pack it very far, so I'll take the ergonomics over the weight. I had an XLR on a different rifle and just couldn't get used to the aluminum and the extra height of scope/bore. I've thought about getting a Manners EH to save a little more weight, but it balances pretty nice the way I have it.

Last edited:
I will give a plus 1 for a build that includes
.308- for ammo options
Manners stock and dbm package - rugged and it will work
medium palma contour - a great all around profile

Eh2/3 stock, gap extreme hunter fluted barrel, 24" 1-10 tw 3006, pt&g aluminum floor plate, tally untralights, bushnell 2.5-16x till the new extreme hunter bushnell comes out

Here is my combo rifle I built.
Rem 700 SA (yours is an LA so go with a 284 or 6.5-284)
PTG Stealth DBM
Manners T6
PTG Knob
Oversized and pinned recoil lug
17" Fluted Sendero profile barrel Chambered in 7mm-08
Slings 168 Bergers at 2550fps, could get them faster if I didn't use my suppressor

Around 8.5lbs without optics.

Optics would be all up to your preference.

Tactical vs. Practical. Need help building hunter/ range rifle.

I would do a Manners EH2 or EH4, #4 contour barrel. Oh, wait, I just did:
ry8use2y.jpg

And if it's a long action, I would go 30-06 with a ten twist.

You guys rock. I'm pretty set on a .308 because...
I dont have one yet and would like to start there
I prefer shorter more handy rifles so a 20" .308 sounds perfect to me!!!
I want a lighter recoil rifle that's a blast to shoot all day long.
A 3006 and 270 are on my to do list... but I'm just going to make my first custom rifle a 308. I need to pick my damn contour a twist rate then buy it!
DrewinTejas... I love it

i'm thinking about getting a 6.5x284 ... but the long barrel is one thing that keeps me thinking. especially in the more dense german woods (hunting hogs), a short rifle is just so much better to handle

DSCF0994.jpg

Remington 700 XCR Tactical SA Compact Fluted 20" barrel
Cal 308 win
McMillian HTG Stock
Seekins 20 MOA base
Burris 30MM Signature Zee Rings
HS Precision DBM
SWFA 3-9x42mm FFP MIL/MIL
Badger Bolt Knob

Weight 9.9 lbs.

Pretty easy answer.

Get a Surgeon Action
Surgeon bottom metal
McMillan Game Scout or Classic in Edge
Lightweight Palma contour 20" with a Can
2,5-10x42 NXS

If you are going to use your Rem action, consider getting a 22" barrel and Talley one pice rings for the scope..

Oh.. I almost forgot; Or, get a McMillan Lazzaroni Thumbhole. Looks super comfy!

Stiller Tac 30 .308
Brux 18" 1:12 Remington Varmint Contour
Shilen Trigger
McMillan A3 with Edge Technology
Williams bottom metal
Nightforce Lightweight rings
Vortex PST 2.5-10x32

The whole rig weighs 9lbs 10oz minus the bipod

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 25
Here is my combo rifle I built.
Rem 700 SA (yours is an LA so go with a 284 or 6.5-284)
PTG Stealth DBM
Manners T6
PTG Knob
Oversized and pinned recoil lug
17" Fluted Sendero profile barrel Chambered in 7mm-08
Slings 168 Bergers at 2550fps, could get them faster if I didn't use my suppressor

Around 8.5lbs without optics.

Optics would be all up to your preference.

Drew, is that stock standard fill or? That rifle is an inspiration to me!

Ben