• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tacticool adjustable butt stock

gregt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Australia
Hey guys, I posted up a couple of photos in the "show us your rimfire stick" thread and some people seemed interested so I thought I'd start a new thread rather than hijack that one.

Some photos below of the adjustable butt stock I made for my Savage yesterday. I just scanned the end of the stock to get the shape and drew it up in CAD (the stock isn't terribly symmetrical when you actually measure it so I had to fudge it a touch to get the spacer symmetrical), added some features so it could slide and clamp and machined it up on my little Tormach mill.

I had to drill a 22mm hole down the centre of the stock so the sliding rod could move in and out but apart from that it uses the original screw holes to mount to the stock and the original recoil pad screws on to the sliding part.

It works really well and clamps up nicely, I'm going to the range today to give it a try out.

Cheers,
Greg

buttscan.jpg

butt%20spacer.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

Re: Tacticool adjustable butt stock

So are you willing to produce more of them? If so how much would you ask for them?

-Dylan

I think I might make a batch of them because there's a few people who seem interested, I'd say they would be around a hundred bucks or so.

You do some awesome work my friend. Let's see where this goes. I would love one myself.

is the TR the same shape on the back of the butt as the tacticool stock? I can't imagine Boyds would have made them different but I'm not sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the TR the same shape on the back of the butt as the tacticool stock? I can't imagine Boyds would have made them different but I'm not sure.</div></div>
I'm not positive as I've never compared the two together but the profile "looks" the same through pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I might make a batch of them because there's a few people who seem interested, I'd say they would be around a hundred bucks or so.</div></div>
That's reasonable but I want to say that Tubb2K's 3-way adjustable buttplates are only 120 dollars IIRC... just a thought...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's reasonable but I want to say that Tubb2K's 3-way adjustable buttplates are only 120 dollars IIRC... just a thought...</div></div>

yeah but you've gotta look at it that he's from Australia and anything firearms related is 2-3 times American price. even the price of aluminum is more expensive over here.. so it's probably not far off the mark when you consider his material cost and labor.

Good point, and I totally understand, believe me I do. I would personally pay the 100 he'd ask for simply because It's made to fit the TR/Tacticool stock. That's awesome in and of itself right there.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Navyguy0023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome!!! Let us know when your ready to sell some! </div></div>

X2!

SWEET! Makes me want to go crank up my mill....

J

I'd be in for one.
I have a 10/22 that I share with 10 and 13 year old girls, but I like to shoot it as well!
This would be PERFECT!

Are you able to make any more?

Potential GB coming up guys keep your eyes peeled. I will post up here if Greg and I work something out
smile.gif

Vincent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edit:

per ITR regulations this product cannot be imported without proper licensing. Count me out</div></div>

That's an interesting marketing strategy to try and sell the same thing you're planning on having made after seeing this one.

Can you quote the section of the ITAR document that says that a licence is required to import one of these at a price under $100?

A member here was planning a group buy for $110 plus postage but because your post above <span style="text-decoration: line-through">pissed me off</span> annoyed me I've got half a dozen here I'll let go for $90 (that's $10 below the ITAR limit)plus $15 postage if anyone is interested. I can make more if needed with a few days notice.

They're cnc machined from 6061-T6 billet and come with all the screws and instructions. They are actually made and sitting here ready to go, not just a cad solid model.

IMGP2671.jpg

IMGP2688.jpg

Cheers,
Greg

That's some great work gregt! Makes me wish that I had a Tacticool stock. Have you thought of doing one for the Kimber 82G?

Guys, I could do them with a generic centre section that's a touch smaller and an unfinished 1/8" lip where it goes against the stock and buttpad so you could just sand/file it to fit exactly.

It's only one little bit of the process that I'd have to change. I could also slot the screw holes so you could match it up to whatever screw spacing you have.

Something like this:
unfinished.jpg

The other option is to scan the back of the stock with a ruler next to it and I could profile them to suit if it's something that's worth making a few of.

Here's a video of one milling, excuse the iphone video.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ML73FwNfjY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ML73FwNfjY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I could do them with a generic centre section that's a touch smaller and an unfinished 1/8" lip where it goes against the stock and buttpad so you could just sand/file it to fit exactly.

It's only one little bit of the process that I'd have to change. I could also slot the screw holes so you could match it up to whatever screw spacing you have.

Something like this:
unfinished.jpg

The other option is to scan the back of the stock with a ruler next to it and I could profile them to suit if it's something that's worth making a few of. </div></div>

gregt... If you make one like this, I'll buy one.

Do you need a rough size of the buttplate to ensure that the lip is large enough for the 82G?

no problem mate, the best way is to either trace around the stock on a bit of graph paper or unscrew the recoil pad and sit the butt on a scanner with a ruler next to it and I can scale off that in CAD.

Just send me the picture and I'll do something to suit.

Cheers,
Greg

Hey guys, the ones I had here made are all gone. I'm going to do another batch next week. Anyone I told by PM that I would send one I'll get it posted today.

Cheers,
Greg

Was that an NX5 model? Just noticed the coordinate system looks very familiar...

-Travis

Hello Greg!
Do you have any plans on making a model with the buttpad adjustable in length AND height?
It looks great the way it is but things can always improve
wink.gif
Do you ship to Sweden?
Keep up the good work!

I can do them with adjustable height. I've done a dovetail slide one but it's probably going to work out a bit too expensive. If you wanted to cut a slot in the butt pad to access the clamping bolt I could do it pretty simply.

The idea of this one was so you can pretty much unscrew the pad, drill one hole then screw it back together.

No problem to send one to Sweden.

Cheers,
Greg

Travis, it's Solid Edge. I just did a training course and I love it. Now I just need to find the $ to buy myself a licence so I can change away from my current cad setup.

Ok Greg, That sounds great!
Is it possible for you to put a drawing here, showing how the "simple" solution will look like?

Thnx

That is very nice. I bought a rifle, then I bought a stock that had the right comb height for the receiver sights and length of pull.

Well come winter, the length of pull will not be right when I'm wearing a coat or if I put on my shooting jacket and sweat shirt on to practice my off hand.

Not to mention when I remove my receiver sights and mount a target scope. There I find the comb too low. Maybe I've not been looking in the right places but an adjustable stock for comb and lop should be easier to find for all the popular actions we tend to upgrade.

Szumi

ok i know the list is long, but definitely would loike one of those as soon as the become available. Can I be put on the list?

Please let me know if you get more of these and put me down for one!! Very nice work.

Scott

Hey Scott, I'm making another 10 or so next week. I am thinking of using the same profile but leaving a 1/8" flange on the mating faces machined to the profile I've been using then stepping it in 1/8" from there on. That way the thin edge could be matched exactly to the stock if you want to or just screwed on and used if you don't want to. They do vary a little because the stocks seem to be hand sanded before they're painted.

Greg,

That is gorgeous work. I'm holding a Tubb buttplate in my hands right now with intentions of installing it this weekend on an HS stock. Wish I'd seen your work first. The Tubb is reputed to slip on hard recoiling rifles. Your design with two crush screws should eliminate that problem. My current project is a 300 Whisper so not much chance of recoil induced slip, but I like the design none the less. Your later revision with a easy to fit flange will make it child's play to fit the plate. I'll keep you in mind for my next project. Now why don't you design an adjustable cheek piece conversion for the HS and similar stocks?!?!

Randy

Any word if these are for sale?

Next time I get a spare moment on the mill I'll knock up some with height adjustment and post up some photos. I started a new job a few months back which was supposed to be casual and a couple of shifts a week but it's currently more like 70-80hrs a week so it's limiting my workshop time.

I have a couple of AICS style chassis to finish off in the next week or 2 for a Sako and Savage but once they're done I can get back into these.

Cheers,
Greg