• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tacticool to not so tacticool

aur0ra145

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
DFW, TX
Howdy,

Well, I built a rifle with the intent of making it some sort of "super awesome AR-15 sniper thingy of crazysauce." Long story short, I've decided against that and going to use the rifle to practice shooting irons for service rifle stuff.

Question: What is a good iron sight contraption for an A4 upper. Requirements, it be adjustable for windage and elevation. So everything like the magpul MBUS would be out. I'm asking this question here because I can't find any reviews for the stuff I've come across so far.

Thanks.

Also picture, because people like pictures.

Attachments

• wombat_wideweb__470x276,0.jpg
    wombat_wideweb__470x276,0.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 8
for service rifle matches you really need a 1/4 MOA rear sight, whichever way you decide to go, make sure to get a match rear sight on it one way or another.

I wouldn't mind that, any particular manufacturer to stick with?

I really have no first hand comparison between various manufacturers of carry handles, they seem to range from NcStar at about $30 (which I'd avoid) up to CMMG at around $100 and some options in between, I think you can also buy the carry handle from Rock River, they make highly-rated service rifles so their carry handle should be a safe bet.

There's also some setups like this that offer the basic mechanics of an A4 rear sight without the carry handle portion. The only "issue" you run into is that even though some manufacturers claim their detachable sights are "A2" they tend to be "A4" and only adjustable out to about 600m because of the length of the internal adjustment screw and it's need to sit on TOP of the rail rather than extend further down into the receiver.

GMG Detachable Front Rear Sight Combo A2-Style AR-15 Aluminum Matte

I apologize if I misunderstood. I thought this was sort of a multi-purpose AR that you wanted to practice shooting iron sights with with an eye towards Service Rifle/Highpower.

If this is going to be an ACTUAL competition rifle for Service Rifle then you have very little leeway in what the sights can be (and what mods can have been made to the rifle). I'm JUST getting into the research and equipment stage of SR competition and ordered the RRA A4 (1/4min sights) which will be on it's way to Keystone Precision for some sight work.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood your intent, there's guys here MUCH more knowledgeable on which way to go if this is going to be a true Service Rifle.

A local guy set up his DPMS LR308 like what you are wanting.

DPMS carry handle
1/4 moa rear sight w/ .030 or .040 hooded aperture
NM front sight

It's probably $300 all said and done, but considering a good set of "match rifle" sights will run about 3-4x that, it's not bad. I want to do the same thing on my 308 to compete in the service rifle matches.