• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Take me to school on Remington 700 actions

SmokinAce

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
AZ
Before anyone says it I did search here and google with no real useful results (not sure I seached with best phrase maybe)

I am looking for info on Remington 700 actions. I hear many things about them and how some are better than others. No where can I find what has changed over time and with that what ones are better than others/why. Does anyone have a source for this info or can you educate me on this? Thanks

Re: Take me to school on Remington 700 actions

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">THINK</span> he's asking what changes have been made to the 700 actions over the years and if some years of manufacture are better than others and maybe some years that should be avoided.

Well....it is like anything else. A factory/mass produced action is just that. Fit and finished is not as nice a "aftermarket/custom" action. A factory action may not be true....that is why when building a custom rifle based on a factory action, most smiths with blueprint/true the action.

A custom action usually has been "improved" in small ways...receiver mounted bolt release, integral scope base,etc.

Both will work fine as a foundation for a custom build. Just a matter of personal preference at the end of the day.

Here is some info on some custom actions: http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubs43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I <span style="text-decoration: underline">THINK</span> he's asking what changes have been made to the 700 actions over the years and if some years of manufacture are better than others and maybe some years that should be avoided. </div></div>

Bingo. I hear things like avoid j locks and this and that prefix but no one says why or what is different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well....it is like anything else. A factory/mass produced action is just that. </div></div>

Exactly.... I prefer savages for factory rifles but I have a friend that is look at a 700 for a pretty good price. I know little about the actions and since he is not a memember here I thought it would be something for me to learn as well but when looking around I am not finding much.

Since their introduction, all the 700 actions are about the same. Some early ones had changes made to the safety mech and the bolt. In about 1974 (someone will correct me, I’m sure) a change was made to the rear receiver contour/height. These are the receivers that have prefix letter (A, B, C,…) Before that six digit serial numbers. The factory triggers are another story. The X Mark Pro isn’t thought of too highly around here.

Are there any better? No, but I would assume that the current ones are the best: Metallurgical control, machining equipment, tolerances seem to get tighter and better over time due to manufacturing experience and progress.

Thank you for info to at least put me in a direction.

Having trued hundreds of 700's I prefer actions with a B prefix and earlier. Reason; fit, finsh and steel quality. The rest I'm going to fix. There's nothing that feels better than an old 700 with no letter prefix that's someone has shot the shit out of. Same thing with a well used pre 64 model 70. They are just different.