• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Take the plunge for a 1050...

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I decided awhile back I'm done with Lee. After two Loadmasters I'm tired of the shit. I just can't get them to run. Even tried a Pro 1000 and it worked a little better, but I need more volume.

I can get dealer pricing through my father. I've been quoted $1380 for a Dillon 1050 ready to go for .45 ACP. After the cal conversions and little things I'll need it'll be closer to $2k. I'm having a hard time with that much for a press.

I originally wanted an XL 650 and he keeps telling me that's not what I want. I'm pretty dead set it is. Through dealer pricing I can get everything to include case feeder, low/no powder indicator, cal conversions, dies etc for around $1k.

A little bit about my application. This will strictly be used for pistol. I have a Redding T-7 for the rifle. I'll be shooting 1,000 rounds a week. I'm tracking that with case feeder I can do this comfortable in an hour and a half with 650. I guess what I'm asking here is if there's any 650 owners here that regret it and wish they had taken the plunge, or 1050 owners that feel they could've gotten away with a 650...

Re: Take the plunge for a 1050...

I have a 650, 550, and square deal as well. No regrets, but wish I had a 1050 also! All of them have a purpose in my home. I use to shoot 18-20k rounds of 45ACP per year and the 650 served its purpose well. One you get it set up, it works great. I'm sure the 1050 is worth every penny.

FYI
I can load 500-600 rounds/ hour on the square deal, 400-500 on the 550/ hour, and 800-1k/ hour on the 650. This is with all my primer tubes filled. Be sure to buy extra! I've got 12 of each size.

My 650 is currently my 308 loader. I'm not using it like a progressive much right now. Still testing loads. Groups are outstanding with the Dillon though.

Paul

Paul

Having 1050's as well as a 650 I can tell you the 650 will do everything you need to in pistol caliber JUST about as fast as a 1050.

I dont have any experience with a 1050, but I love my 650. It will kick out loads as fast as I feel comfortable. Its definitely cheaper to change out to other rounds quickly/easily with the 650...$25 for a 650 toolhead vs $200 for a 1050 toolhead. I have found myself loading more and more on the 650 ever since I got it. I have more money than I like to think about tied up in blue parts, but it would be really crazy if I was running a 1050.

According to Dillon's website, the 1050 isnt covered by the "no bs" warranty, if thats of any consequence to you. Only has a 1yr warranty vs the lifetime, no questions asked warranty for the 650 and all of the other Dillon loaders.

I have a 550 and 2 1050's. The 550 has a case feeder (junk) does work very well. One 1050 is set up for 45 acp with a Kiss bullet feeder and a Ponness-warner electric motor. I have it set to load 1200 rounds per hour, All I have to do is keep the compents loaded. The other 1050 is set up for 223, 300 aac blackout, 308. It also has the kiss bullet feeder. For you needs I recomend the 650. Biggest issue is the 650 has a lifetime warranty. The 1050's only have a 1 year warranty. I can load a years worth of 45acp in one good long weekend.

I think whether you get the 1050 or the 650 the factor that will limit your speed is refilling primer tubes. I have a Hornady LnL AP with case feeder and bullet feeder and I can make ammo as fast as I can pull the handle. But I'm still stopping every hundred rounds to refill the primer tubes. If you went with the 650 and bought Dillons automatic primer loader I think you would be faster than the 1050 without it.

The 1050 does have a 7 station head which would accommodate a powder check die or bullet feeder die more easily than the 650. And if your shooting 1000 rnds/mo you might like the extra reassurance that the powder check die gives. Good luck.

The loading rates you guys achieve is incredible!!! I've had a 550 with casefeeder for 3 years, and a 650 with casefeeder for 6 months.

With plenty of primer tubes filled, I can load about 350-400/hour with the 550. I feel like I'm in a good steady rhythm at this pace. Going faster would feel like I'm rushing.

The 650 I can hit 500/hour, again in a steady rhythm, feeling as if faster would be rushing, and slamming/yanking the controls around.

don't worry so much about the 1 year warranty on the 1050, I have had 2 1050 for over 10 years and only broke one little spring that pushes the primer plunger down, after 6 years of running it, they sent me a pack of 5 free.
I load 12 dif cal on them and load semi-comercial with over 5 million rounds in 10 years and the machines are as accurate and smooth as day one.
I had a 650 for 3 months before I got rid of that POS.
cheers.