• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking care of your brass with a semi-auto

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I have delved off into the 6.5Grendel world. I have bought an upper, new Hornady brass, and new and used Lapua brass. Years ago I bought a WOA 20" Varmint upper to see what kind a accuracy I could get out of a 15 platformed 223. I got tired of looking for my prepped brass and sometimes got tired of finding it dinged up from ejecting on gravel, rocks etc. With this Grendel I am looking for accuracy and better downrange performance. How do you when your range shooting take care of brass? Do you use a brass catcher? And if so what brand? Or do you put up a stop to deflect it or direct it to where you want it to go? This is the worst part about precision AR's IMO. Thanks

I used a cheap Caldwell brass catcher back in the day. I no longer shoot my gassers for precision so I no longer reload for them.

I have delved off into the 6.5Grendel world. I have bought an upper, new Hornady brass, and new and used Lapua brass. Years ago I bought a WOA 20" Varmint upper to see what kind a accuracy I could get out of a 15 platformed 223. I got tired of looking for my prepped brass and sometimes got tired of finding it dinged up from ejecting on gravel, rocks etc. With this Grendel I am looking for accuracy and better downrange performance. How do you when your range shooting take care of brass? Do you use a brass catcher? And if so what brand? Or do you put up a stop to deflect it or direct it to where you want it to go? This is the worst part about precision AR's IMO. Thanks

What I do. Range bag and catcher in one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0p-VlNuwnlw

Go to 13:25

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Waw7ufCMRsk

Ive been hemming and hawing over the 3bucc or a cheapy. Looking at that tactical link from laser has got me convinced that the 3buc is cheap. Guess I'm headed over to order one.

Velcro on the deflector and a catcher to make it easy to find

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

This is a bit more expensive but works

http://tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

I have the .308 version as well as 5.56, both with ADM mounts.

Highly recommend them

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":" photo P2146741_zpsmustznj1.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"349","width":"620","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P2146741_zpsmustznj1.jpg"}[/IMG2]
P9206503_zpswk4p6crd.jpg

Last edited:
I got an inexpensive one from cauldwel kind of hinkey not impressed
When the spouse turns thir head steal a nice thick kitchen Towle
Useful in a range bag and works decent from a rest.

Tactical brass recovery... I've been using one for the last year, its got 6-7 matches on it now and it has never had an issue. It easily has paid for itself when you factor in losing brass on stages with an auto chucker. Add to that the time saved looking for brass in the weeds at matches and practice... I consider it a must have device.

Last edited:
For something simple, I use a common 11"X11" terrycloth wash cloth (I use an old G.I. issue O.D. green one). I take two of these 2-1/2" or so round bungees Women use for tying to their pony tails. Put a small hole on two corners of the wash cloth. Loop the bungee through the small hole to attach it to the wash cloth. Loop each bungee over the ocular and the objective bell of the scope.

Let the wash cloth drape down / over the ejection port. To keep the bungees from slipping up or down, you can use a small piece of masking or painter's tape to stick the bungee to the scope body if you need to. The tape removes easily after the shooting session. The brass will eject, hit the wash cloth and drop straight down onto the ground or bench. This works for my 308 and 223 AR's. Keeps me from chasing brass.

I don't get any malfunctions. The wash cloth blows out when firing and stays out of the way.

You can also use a leg pocket off of an old pair of BDU's, it works as well.

Velcro on the deflector and a caldwell brass catcher is my method. Some times I dont use the brass catcher, like when I am shooting over a soft surface like the platform at my local shooting range. They have a layer of carpet so the brass lands softly. I noticed the dents in my brass went away with just the velcro.