• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking family to Jamaica ??

Seuss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2001
York, PA USA mostly
Guys,
Got rooked into a 7 day family vaca to Jamaica. Was reading some sh*t the travel agent sent me, one article was a "what to take", and the author mentioned a Swiss Army knife, which has me wondering, would I be ok packing a small folder in my checked bag? Looking forward to visiting, but don't want to extend my stay by offending the locals.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Here's to my 15 year old son's 2 requirements for the trip-

1- someplace tropical
2- all you can eat (in my case swill!)

Sam

Re: Taking family to Jamaica ??

Cancel now and go somewhere nice.... We stopped there on a cruise ship them went back stand alone. It was pretty much a dump IMO comparable to some shitty hoods I have lived in in Baghdad and Kabul.

We went to the BAhama's earlier this year and had a good time. Round trip for 3 and hotel on paradise island (comfort suites) was only like 2 grand. We were looking at driving from DFW to the Grand Canyon and Vegas but turns out we could go to the bahama's cheaper.

Another option is Grand Cayman. Again we went there on the cruise ship and went back stand alone and loved every minute of it. I dont remember what that trip cost but I wanna say in the 4-5k area.

Too late, paid and booked, we're going to a resort that someone on my team's been to twice so I am covered on the lodgings. We'll be a long way from any cruise ship dumps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cancel now and go somewhere nice.... We stopped there on a cruise ship them went back stand alone. It was pretty much a dump IMO comparable to some shitty hoods I have lived in in Baghdad and Kabul.

We went to the BAhama's earlier this year and had a good time. Round trip for 3 and hotel on paradise island (comfort suites) was only like 2 grand. We were looking at driving from DFW to the Grand Canyon and Vegas but turns out we could go to the bahama's cheaper.

Another option is Grand Cayman. Again we went there on the cruise ship and went back stand alone and loved every minute of it. I dont remember what that trip cost but I wanna say in the 4-5k area.

</div></div>

Yeah Jamaica is a bit depressing from the last time I went. Scary as hell when you're outside of the resort to. I'll never go back.

Grand Cayman is amazing, but man it's a bit spendy
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too late, paid and booked, we're going to a resort that someone on my team's been to twice so I am covered on the lodgings. We'll be a long way from any cruise ship dumps. </div></div>

LOL we were a long way from the CS dumps when we went stand alone, Shockingly it was still a dump outside the resort....

honestly don't have any plans to leave the resort based on what's offered.

back to the orig question, any hassles bringing a folder in my checked bag?

One of my favorite pics is with my little girl at the bottom of Duns River Falls though. Short of our time at the sea turtle farm in Grand Cayman it was the coolest place we went to.

No. You can take a folder in your checked luggage. But it won't help much against the big freaking machete the stoned out begger is carrying in the parking lot of the dunn;s river falls.
Don't leave the resort until you goto the airport for the flight home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honestly don't have any plans to leave the resort based on what's offered.

back to the orig question, any hassles bringing a folder in my checked bag? </div></div>

ROFL, theres still time to turn back.

On the original question. No issues with a small folder in your checked. I have been around the world with a case mini trapper in my checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. You can take a folder in your checked luggage. But it won't help much against the big freaking machete the stoned out begger is carrying in the parking lot of the dunn;s river falls.
Don't leave the resort until you goto the airport for the flight home. </div></div>

The resorts will take you to Duns river VIA boat. We were at Beaches Resort which was pretty nice. I know sandals will take you there via Cat also.

I've been to Jamaica a few times, I'm assuming you are either in Montego Bay or Negril...

When you first exit the airport there are going to be tons of people trying to get you in their cab. Check with the resort you are staying with and pre-arrange your travel, it's almost a shoving match with the taxi drivers and having it pre-arranged is a better option.

Don't bother with currency exchange, Taxi, Bartenders, Housekeeping, etc... all prefer US dollars. Travel with plenty of low denomination bills though, getting change is not an exact science.

Ask the lifeguards for your resort who you can rent a boat ride from, I was able to rent a boat for a whole day for 5 people, complete with a jerk chicken BBQ and drinks until you were blind for $100. Took us to some cliffs to dive off of, etc...

For that matter ask the lifeguards anything - they are the key to getting things you want in Jamaica and can generally get you a better deal than whats being advertised.

First things I do there is goto the bar by the beach, get my first drink and tip the guy $20 - the rest of the week he takes real good care of you and you just toss him $1 or so every drink after that (i'm assuming all inclusive resort)

We paid some local kids $5 to go climb trees and get us fresh mangos... delicious.

out side of the resort has been covered, it's a poverty stricken dump that you should stay away from.

I actually love Jamaica. Spent a couple weeks on an island off Port Antonio and loved the experience. Doubled gave good advice. Look into some of the day trips offered by your resort. Enjoy the jerk pork, some of the most delicious meat you'll ever have.

No I don't want weed.
No I don't need a taxi.
repeat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I don't want weed.
</div></div>

Hey Mon! You want da party stuff Mon?!
wink.gif
My brother went there on his honeymoon and said for the most part the resorts kept the rift raft out. But every now and then some dreadlocked dude would show up on the beach via boat pushing some weed. He would get run off pretty quick though.

Anyways from what i gathered, as long as you stay put and don't venture out into indian country, you'll be fine and have a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually love Jamaica. Spent a couple weeks on an island off Port Antonio and loved the experience. Doubled gave good advice. Look into some of the day trips offered by your resort. Enjoy the jerk pork, some of the most delicious meat you'll ever have. </div></div>

I would personally recommend the zip lining tours.

One of the zip lines takes you down the side of a mountain and you easily get up to 1000 ft of elevation at points it's an incredible once in a lifetime experience.

I've done a number of zip line tours all over the place and never have I been on one that came close to the extreme elevation as the Jamaican one
laugh.gif
So amazingly fun.

I think Jamaica is fine if you stick to the resorts it's probably safer than Mexico.

I hit the markets up a bit as well and went to some shadier places on my own and was comfortable. Just don't talk to people, and don't look like a delicious target. You're insanely rich, and they're insanely hungry. Worse yet their kids are at home hungrier than they are.

That's why I'll never go to Jamaica again, not so much for safety as much as it's just sad being reminded how much of the world is living.

Have fun on your trip man I'm jealous!

You will be fine at the resort. You will be fine on organized tours. You take your chances when you are out on your own. I've had my fill of Jamaica. Each of the last 2 times we've been there someone from our group was given the opportunity to hand over all their belongings while staring at a gun.

been there twice and its a beutiful place to visit, we went to montego bay Sandals. As mentioned keep with resort tours but DO take advantage of them and dont stay stuck to the reort, its not the full experience unless you get out and see the wonderment that is a gorgeous third world country. We really enjoyed the Dunn's River Falls trip. I will say this as advice, steer clear of the rasta that paddles up a canoe to the resort beach sellin pipe tobbacco, smoked some and woke up three days later with a sore bunghole and a wife sportin dreads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
Got rooked into a 7 day family vaca to Jamaica. Was reading some sh*t the travel agent sent me, one article was a "what to take", and the author mentioned a Swiss Army knife, which has me wondering, would I be ok packing a small folder in my checked bag? Looking forward to visiting, but don't want to extend my stay by offending the locals.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Here's to my 15 year old son's 2 requirements for the trip-

1- someplace tropical
2- all you can eat (in my case swill!)

Sam </div></div>

Look into the Grand Cayman Islands.....

Beautiful place and the people are very nice, they love tourists. If you like scuba diving this is the place to do it.