• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking it to the Edge... 2000 yds and an attempt at 2500

luvmy45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Idaho
Got up really, really early this morning... 530am...

Made the trek out to see a friend and borrow a scope and mount it up for shooting some ELR today. Got to play with a Preimer Heritage 5-25 Scope with a Gen 2XR reticle. (Nice scope, not a big fan of how you slip the knobs...not clear when you are slipping the knobs and when you are making adjustments... as noted later in the post, but other than that, great glass and the reticle is nice)

I like the reticle... 30 mils of travel on the scope, so with my 20moa base, and after zero I had 26.9 mils of come up with another 10 mils in the scope... total possible 36.9 mils. Just over 2700 yard theoretical make distance with the 338 Edge... not bad.

With the scope mounted, zeroed and the target camera setup we headed out to 1500yds to true our data and see what we could do.

Here is my setup for the day...
null_zpsef3967bd.jpg

Targets are 2 square gongs... we have a 48" and a 24", here is the 24" this is before we shot at it today.
null_zps33e80a03.jpg

With the MET data inputed into my Shooter app on the iPhone, 12 mils was called for and .3 mils of wind... was about 75 degrees and 27.15 absolute pressure when we started. I am using a 300gr Berger OTM at 2800...(Later trued and discovered it's more like 2890fps)

First shot was center of the target about 2/10 mil high and 3/10 left of center... good enough for me, one shot/one hit... time to move on...

3 others shot as well.. We had a 260 that did well at 1500, peatered out after that, another 338 Edge and a 408 Cheytac that is just being broke in.

We then moved to 2020 yards... data called for 21 mils and 1.0 L for wind... first shot was high and left... adjusted back 1 mil and dialed another mil of hold... 2nd shot was good elevation but still 1 mil left.... hmm, something's not right.... Held 1 mil and hit the target...

Now I was confused as I had 2 mils of wind in and holding 1 more, then I took a good look at the scope... the adjustment on the windage knob for slipping the turret to reset to 0 was loose, and turning the knob didn't do anything... once I tightened the knob up and reset to 1 mils of wind, I was able to hold on and hit the target... chalk that one up to knowing your equipment.

So ending dope was 20mils/1mil wind good dope and repeatable... hitting at 2k, wasn't hard with the 338 Edge, now I have some dope to go with the rifle, I was feeling good.

Off we went to 2500yards, here is what it looks like from where we were at...
null_zps14be1378.jpg

We wanted 1.5 miles, but couldn't get there so we figured out how to get to 2.5k and started in with shooting... that should have been 30 mils... I max out at 26.9, so I dialed 26 and held 4 in the scope... which was easy to do with that reticle... the mirage however, was terrible now, probably 90 or so and hot... and thru the scope you couldn't see the misses and call corrections... the camera worked great, but with it on the target, you can't see the misses... just hear them (btw... the mic on the camera works so well, that you can here the fly's buzzing around the camera... :D)

I tried about 6 shots, but no joy and with no corrections possible, I gave up... the other 338 tried a few times, and we think he hit the post, as it was a metal sound, but not the gong. The cheytac was tried by a couple guys,... we were persistent and just kept bracketing the target shot after shot, and finally the gong rung!!! The owner managed to hit it 2x, and with the dope figured out, I gave it a try and it took me 2 shots to hit it... wind really moves a bullet, and with the mirage so bad, you don't have a crisp clear sight picture at 2.5k, so little adjustments go a long way.

Here's the boys, don't mind the crack ;D
null_zps86a3ccbe.jpg

It was a great day of shooting, our target cam system works great... no problems at 2500 at all, need a 2nd camera focused below and wide on the ground to call misses.

The rifle ran great, it's a new gun to me and it's a shooter. The brake is loud and kicks up dust, but works very well... I could watch my own shots, the gun didn't move that much, and the kick was very reasonable... 408 not so much. Now I need to save up for my own scope, the Preimer scope is wicked, and should be for the price, and was a treat to use but I think I want the HDMR with the G2 for the price, one of the other guys had it on their gun today, and looking thru it and the premier was good... the Premier is better, but not $1500 better, but that's just me.

I've shot a mile with my 308 using 208gr loads, but this is my first time at distance with a bigger gun... what a difference, so much more confidence with the bigger pill, and very addictive... I want to try again at 2500 earlier in the morning and see if we can beat the mirage and get some hits.

Last edited:
very nice, im in salmon. im just finishing up my second savage 338 edge. what is the load your running?

I'm using the loads that came with the rifle right now, and I think I'll stick with them.

92.5 H1000
300gr Berger OTM
Remington Brass
Fed 215M Primer

They are coming out around 2890, at least according to the trued data for 2k.

One of the guys we were shooting with marked the GPS of what we thought was 2500, after he got home, he figured out we were actually 2617 yards, just 23yds shy of 1.5 miles... no wonder my dope didn't work... but dang, I think we can back up 25 yards and get a true 1.5 miles at this spot.

This is my first 338 edge... and it's going to be a fun gun!

That's a good velocity for 300 otm and h1000. What length is your barrel? Looks to be 28-29"?

Last edited:
28" barrel can't remember the maker, pacnor I think
Savage action
Choate stock
Brake ??? Trying to find out
Rifle basix SAV-1 trigger

I dont think you guys understand how lucky you are to have a place like this to shoot at. Thats awesome! Places like this in WI dont exist. I would put a red light out in front of my house to have a place like that to shoot at,,,,, well maybe...

Made the trek out to see a friend and borrow a scope and mount it up for shooting some ELR today. Got to play with a Preimer Heritage 5-25 Scope with a Gen 2XR reticle. (Nice scope, not a big fan of how you slip the knobs...not clear when you are slipping the knobs and when you are making adjustments... as noted later in the post, but other than that, great glass and the reticle is nice)

I like the reticle... 30 mils of travel on the scope, so with my 20moa base, and after zero I had 26.9 mils of come up with another 10 mils in the scope... total possible 36.9 mils. Just over 2700 yard theoretical make distance with the 338 Edge... not bad.

With the scope mounted, zeroed and the target camera setup we headed out to 1500yds to true our data and see what we could do.

null_zpsef3967bd.jpg

Targets are 2 square gongs... we have a 48" and a 24", here is the 24" this is before we shot at it today.
null_zps33e80a03.jpg

With the MET data inputed into my Shooter app on the iPhone, 12 mils was called for and .3 mils of wind... was about 75 degrees and 27.15 absolute pressure when we started. I am using a 300gr Berger OTM at 2800...(Later trued and discovered it's more like 2890fps)

First shot was center of the target about 2/10 mil high and 3/10 left of center... good enough for me, one shot/one hit... time to move on...

3 others shot as well.. We had a 260 that did well at 1500, peatered out after that, another 338 Edge and a 408 Cheytac that is just being broke in.

We then moved to 2020 yards... data called for 21 mils and 1.0 L for wind... first shot was high and left... adjusted back 1 mil and dialed another mil of hold... 2nd shot was good elevation but still 1 mil left.... hmm, something's not right.... Held 1 mil and hit the target...

Now I was confused as I had 2 mils of wind in and holding 1 more, then I took a good look at the scope... the adjustment on the windage knob for slipping the turret to reset to 0 was loose, and turning the knob didn't do anything... once I tightened the knob up and reset to 1 mils of wind, I was able to hold on and hit the target... chalk that one up to knowing your equipment.

So ending dope was 20mils/1mil wind good dope and repeatable... hitting at 2k, wasn't hard with the 338 Edge, now I have some dope to go with the rifle, I was feeling good.

null_zps14be1378.jpg

We wanted 1.5 miles, but couldn't get there so we figured out how to get to 2.5k and started in with shooting... that should have been 30 mils... I max out at 26.9, so I dialed 26 and held 4 in the scope... which was easy to do with that reticle... the mirage however, was terrible now, probably 90 or so and hot... and thru the scope you couldn't see the misses and call corrections... the camera worked great, but with it on the target, you can't see the misses... just hear them (btw... the mic on the camera works so well, that you can here the fly's buzzing around the camera... :D)

I tried about 6 shots, but no joy and with no corrections possible, I gave up... the other 338 tried a few times, and we think he hit the post, as it was a metal sound, but not the gong. The cheytac was tried by a couple guys,... we were persistent and just kept bracketing the target shot after shot, and finally the gong rung!!! The owner managed to hit it 2x, and with the dope figured out, I gave it a try and it took me 2 shots to hit it... wind really moves a bullet, and with the mirage so bad, you don't have a crisp clear sight picture at 2.5k, so little adjustments go a long way.

null_zps86a3ccbe.jpg

It was a great day of shooting, our target cam system works great... no problems at 2500 at all, need a 2nd camera focused below and wide on the ground to call misses.

The rifle ran great, it's a new gun to me and it's a shooter. The brake is loud and kicks up dust, but works very well... I could watch my own shots, the gun didn't move that much, and the kick was very reasonable... 408 not so much. Now I need to save up for my own scope, the Preimer scope is wicked, and should be for the price, and was a treat to use but I think I want the HDMR with the G2 for the price, one of the other guys had it on their gun today, and looking thru it and the premier was good... the Premier is better, but not $1500 better, but that's just me.

I've shot a mile with my 308 using 208gr loads, but this is my first time at distance with a bigger gun... what a difference, so much more confidence with the bigger pill, and very addictive... I want to try again at 2500 earlier in the morning and see if we can beat the mirage and get some hits.

That was a fun morning of shooting Luvmy45! Thanks for the invite to tag along! We need to try that again either earlier in the day or later in the year when it gets colder. That mirage was terrible by 1200.

Nice shooting.
I almost bought that rifle,but I decided to build a lefty version with the choate tactical stock.
The furthest I can get out to is 1,000 yds,and that's with shooting over my cousins house across a valley.
I'd be a poor boy,with access to a place to shoot like yours.
I wouldn't have any problem seeing the splash of a 20mm at that range !

null_zpsef3967bd.jpg

null_zps33e80a03.jpg

null_zps14be1378.jpg

null_zps86a3ccbe.jpg

So you had a camera down at the target that you could see where you were shooting from?

I dont think you guys understand how lucky you are to have a place like this to shoot at. Thats awesome! Places like this in WI dont exist. I would put a red light out in front of my house to have a place like that to shoot at,,,,, well maybe...

I actually lived in Holland for two years as an expat. If you see some of the dudes that walk into those doors, I can tell you it would not be worth having a place like that to shoot :)

Great write up OP, and I second that, wish I had an ELR spot close by

Nice write-up.

Last weekend I had the chance to shoot my Edge to 2000 yards in a scored match. Once thing I can tell you, once you get to about 1500 yards you can really tell the difference in the scoring pits between a 338 and everything smaller!

I managed third place, really consistent to 1800 then I think fatigue got to me as we were shooting and packing/moving back 100 yards at a time as fast as we could. Still had a few good hits at 2000 just not what I hoped.

It's hard once things go transonic. We had two guys shooting 300WMs, essentially same MV, same bullet. At 1900 one was still scoring, the other dropping bullet so steeply into the pits that they had to tell him to stop shooting for safety. Curious what your experience was at 2500 where you would have been subsonic, I assume. Of course I was shooting at 500ft elevation in thick 85F air, looks like you may have had some elevation advantage.