• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking the muzzle break off an RPR - Thread cover available?

The K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2022
Netherlands
I have a new RPR in .300 WM but I don't like, never used and don't want to use nor need the muzzle break that comes with the rifle. I have seen RPR without the muzzle break in pictures etc but I can't seem to source a thread/protector cap that would get threaded on the exposed thread that would be left once I remove the muzzle break. Does anyone know where I can get one? I am in Europe but I could get some from the USA delivered, but looking through Ruger's site I can't find anything like that.

Thank you, the downrange products link looks like a good one.
Now...because I live in Europe and it would take a while to get here and I don't want to take the muzzle brake off and try and measure the exact thing in inches etc myself (yes I can be lazy) do any of you know the exact dimensions that would apply to my RPR barrel in .300 WM?

I have a new RPR in .300 WM but I don't like, never used and don't want to use nor need the muzzle break that comes with the rifle. I have seen RPR without the muzzle break in pictures etc but I can't seem to source a thread/protector cap that would get threaded on the exposed thread that would be left once I remove the muzzle break. Does anyone know where I can get one? I am in Europe but I could get some from the USA delivered, but looking through Ruger's site I can't find anything like that.

In the regular short actions(gen2) there was one included in the box, not sure if they do this on the magnums or the later generations.

Thank you, the downrange products link looks like a good one.
Now...because I live in Europe and it would take a while to get here and I don't want to take the muzzle brake off and try and measure the exact thing in inches etc myself (yes I can be lazy) do any of you know the exact dimensions that would apply to my RPR barrel in .300 WM?
They are 5/8" - 24 TPI
RPR 300WM specs

Reactions: cheeko and Baron23
They are 5/8" - 24 TPI
RPR 300WM specs
Thanks, and forgive my ignorance if I am wrong, but can you confirm what it means exactly? is that 5/8" total thread on the barrel at 24 Turns Per Inch? I ask because I am not sure how much thread there is on the barrel without taking the muzzle brake off, which I prefer not to do until I have the thread protector here.

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance if I am wrong, but can you confirm what it means exactly? is that 5/8" total thread on the barrel at 24 Turns Per Inch? I ask because I am not sure how much thread there is on the barrel without taking the muzzle brake off, which I prefer not to do until I have the thread protector here.
That is a standard SAE thread (not metric). 5/8”’refers to the major diameter of the male thread. 24 is the threads per inch.

5/8x24 muzzle caps/ thread protectors are easy to get. Or any machinist could make one in steel or aluminum or brass in a matter of a half hour tops.

Congrats on the RPR, they really are great shooters!

Sirhr

Reactions: cheeko
I don't like, never used and don't want to use nor need the muzzle break that comes with the rifle
Never used one at all, or this one? Maybe you’ll like it if you shoot this rifle.

Why do you want to break your rifle?

Given that you can buy a .300 win Mag-rated suppressor off the shelf in Germany for a couple of hundred bucks and not so much as a signature except on the credit card slip… And the Euro penchant for not annoying neighbors while shooting… I’d dump the brake as well.

.300 win Mag is not a caliber that needs to be braked. Except when you want to annoy the folks on the line next to you ;-)

Sirhr

Reactions: The K
That is a standard SAE thread (not metric). 5/8”’refers to the major diameter of the male thread. 24 is the threads per inch.

5/8x24 muzzle caps/ thread protectors are easy to get. Or any machinist could make one in steel or aluminum or brass in a matter of a half hour tops.

Congrats on the RPR, they really are great shooters!

Sirhr
Thanks, so, yes, I assumed that's what it meant, but I don't know how much thread there is to cover. Is it a half inch? an inch? Obviously it will make a difference to the "depth" of the cap/thread protector.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Given that you can buy a .300 win Mag-rated suppressor off the shelf in Germany for a couple of hundred bucks and not so much as a signature except on the credit card slip…

Everyone loves to point that out about Europe, what seems to be forgotten is while they may not need government permission to buy a suppressor, their firearm ownership is at the pleasure and whim of police bureaucrats.

I'd rather keep our way, where we can buy and sell guns without government permission. Suppressors are not as important to the majority of gun owners as the very small but vocal minority who uses them would have you believe. The worst are the idiots that will trade the NFA for universal background checks (i.e. universal registration).

If you think taking a muzzle brake off a rifle is equivalent to "breaking it" perhaps you need to know a little more about rifles?

I know plenty about rifles. And about the difference between a break and a brake.

I also know enough to remove the brake and measure the length of the threads that need to be covered, instead of asking others to solve the problem for me.

I know plenty about rifles. And about the difference between a break and a brake.
Found the internet gamma. There is always one in every place... 99 people understand precisely what is meant when some dumb autocorrect spelling happens, especially in this context, but then there is that ONE GUY who just HAS to show everyone how witty, and smart and funny he is and how he knows these great movie quotes and how he knows more than anyone about the secret rules of guns and governments in countries he has not even visited, never mind lived in, ...and...and... and he spends a lot of time alone fantasising about how one day everyone will know he is REALLY SPECIAL! And everyone will clap, and all the girls will finally love him.
You keep at it you special boy, you.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Everyone loves to point that out about Europe, what seems to be forgotten is while they may not need government permission to buy a suppressor, their firearm ownership is at the pleasure and whim of police bureaucrats.

I'd rather keep our way, where we can buy and sell guns without government permission. Suppressors are not as important to the majority of gun owners as the very small but vocal minority who uses them would have you believe. The worst are the idiots that will trade the NFA for universal background checks (i.e. universal registration).
Agreed! But sinice he has his RPR… ez “moderateur” rules might as well be taken advantage of!!

Sirhr

I put a thread protector on my RPR. Limited shooting since then, but it seems to have improved the groups a bit...

RPR Thread Protector.jpg

I put a thread protector on my RPR. Limited shooting since then, but it seems to have improved the groups a bit...

View attachment 7778877
Heheheheh very nice. As you have an RPR, could you tell me, is it in .300wm? And if so, do you have an exact dimension for the internal diameter the thread protector has to be, as well as how much thread is on the barrel?

No idea if they would ship just a thread protector over to you, or if you would even want to pay shipping. PVA makes thread protectors to cover just about all barrel diameter to protect the entire shoulder. Have a few of them my self and they are all I buy.

Edit to add. You may just be better of going to a machine shop with a simple drawing of what you want exactly if you can't find a company in your country that sells what you want. You may pay a little more though. Would get it made out of stainless, or even brass like mentioned. Not sure I would do aluminum my self, but don't see why it wouldn't work for at least the life of the barrel or longer.
Thread length from shoulder to crown, OD of the protector to match up to the OD of the barrel at the shoulder, and of course drilled and tapped at 5/8-24. Have a couple flats put on for a wrench or knurled so you can get it on and off would be a plus. I don't use a wrench on my PVA protectors, I just finger tight as I use a suppressor. Most times the threaded part is all within a certain length that most protectors cover, or are a little longer which does not hurt anything. Just measured four barrels for the length of the threads and they were all between 15mm and 15.8mm so get it made at 16mm long and you should be good for your current barrel, and any new barrel you get. If you do get a machine shop to make one, may as well get more than one in case you loose it, or need another in the future.

Last edited:
No idea if they would ship just a thread protector over to you, or if you would even want to pay shipping. PVA makes thread protectors to cover just about all barrel diameter to protect the entire shoulder. Have a few of them my self and they are all I buy.

Edit to add. You may just be better of going to a machine shop with a simple drawing of what you want exactly if you can't find a company in your country that sells what you want. You may pay a little more though. Would get it made out of stainless, or even brass like mentioned. Not sure I would do aluminum my self, but don't see why it wouldn't work for at least the life of the barrel or longer.
Thread length from shoulder to crown, OD of the protector to match up to the OD of the barrel at the shoulder, and of course drilled and tapped at 5/8-24. Have a couple flats put on for a wrench or knurled so you can get it on and off would be a plus. I don't use a wrench on my PVA protectors, I just finger tight as I use a suppressor. Most times the threaded part is all within a certain length that most protectors cover, or are a little longer which does not hurt anything. Just measured four barrels for the length of the threads and they were all between 15mm and 15.8mm so get it made at 16mm long and you should be good for your current barrel, and any new barrel you get. If you do get a machine shop to make one, may as well get more than one in case you loose it, or need another in the future.
Thank you, very useful as always. I have tried to get a machine shop around here interested....they acted as if I was asking them to change all the machines in their shop to build the Titanic. I need to find a decent machine shop, but am new in the area and my one awesome neighbour was recently killed by his second dose of clot shot so I'm struggling to figure things out. But thank you. A lot of gun shops in the USA are a bit lazy about shipping to Europe because they think it's a hassle, but I have a couple of friends that may help buy one there and post it. So cheers for that.

Heheheheh very nice. As you have an RPR, could you tell me, is it in .300wm? And if so, do you have an exact dimension for the internal diameter the thread protector has to be, as well as how much thread is on the barrel?
Mine is 6.5 creedmoor, however, Ruger’s website says the threads on the 300WM are 5/8-24. Any 5/8-24 thread protector should work, the ultimate difference between them being esthetic rather than functional.
3BE22799-2A64-4BC1-8949-C524F0324644.png

Thanks for this, however, on investigating, the internal diameter of this thread protector is only 14.5 mm and the barrel of the RPR in 300 wm is over 20mm in diameter, so this will not work.

The barrel being over 20mm doesn’t have any play here. The thread protector won’t screw past the shoulder of the 5/8x24 threads. Which is what your barrel is threaded at

Reactions: RedDirtRifleman
Thanks for this, however, on investigating, the internal diameter of this thread protector is only 14.5 mm and the barrel of the RPR in 300 wm is over 20mm in diameter, so this will not work.
Take the brake off and suddenly you’ll see the barrel is 5/8” in diameter where it matters. Standard muzzle threads are .7-.75” long. Anybody in the gun world you buy a thread protector from will make it cover that much.

Shoot me your address and I'll give you the one that just came on my new 7 SAUM barrel

Doc

The barrel being over 20mm doesn’t have any play here. The thread protector won’t screw past the shoulder of the 5/8x24 threads. Which is what your barrel is threaded at
Take the brake off and suddenly you’ll see the barrel is 5/8” in diameter where it matters. Standard muzzle threads are .7-.75” long. Anybody in the gun world you buy a thread protector from will make it cover that much.
Thank you both! Appreciate the education.

As a follow up. I have since tested and put the scope on the rifle and it is a dream. I had a purpose built 300 WM before that frankly is a really awesome gun, but the RPR is awesome out of the box. And VERY accurate. I would say it matches my 1/2 MOA rifle that was specifically built for that, though I still need to put it through its paces at long ranges.

Thank you guys for being so helpful in this forum. It's good to know that as a general rule, gun people around the world are very much mostly great humans.