• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Talk me into/out of a pistol can

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’ve got 2 30 cal and 2 22lr cans.
    Looking to get another, mainly debating on a titanium 30 cal but got to looking at 9/45 cans.
    They seem cool at the range, but kind of pointless beyond that? Doesn’t seem logical to have on a carry gun at all.
    Is it worth diving into?

It's a novelty. And its fun, as @E. Bryant points out.

Are pistol cans a "need"? No, their utility is very limited, unless using on a PCC.

Just picked up my omega36m a couple days ago. Rated up to 338 lapua, will also work on a 9mm. Brother has a 338 and I wanted a pistol can so I compromised with the omega. It will probably spend most of its time on the 19X where it is now. I was surprised how well it did in the short configuration. Looking at the ragnarok sd holster for it since it is safariland compatible.

Do it. You won't regret it.

I dont carry out in the world but my pistol has an osprey on it at all times. Home defense, hunting etc its nice to not have to worry about blowing my ears out so bad.

Reactions: XP1K
    9mm or 45 carbine with a can is very fun, and can be useful in lots of circumstances. A <5inch barrel with a can has some utility, but limited; a >10 inch barrel carbine has lots of uses.
    And yes, I've heard the "pistol caliber in rifle footprint is stupid" thing for many years, and it just isn't the case - at leat not for me. One does not always need maximum range and lethality.

A good 9 or 45 can, sans booster, will work great on a sub 300BO; and with booster will be fun on the range and in the real world. Pistols generally are not ear-safe with a suppressor (exceptions apply) so it is less about hollywood propaganda and more about fitting the tool to that task.

I only have a few suppressor-ready pistols, and they seldom come out of the safe. I have several suppressor-ready carbines, and they spend lots of time out in the real world.

The task picks the tool, not the other way around. Unless you just want a 9/45 can, then find a task and get after it.

Reactions: kthomas
    They're fun.

Trying to find a holster will frustrate you.

There were exactly 2 holsters available for the mark 4 last I looked, and neither fits a suppressor. So my suppressed pistol is a range toy and nothing else.

The only reason to have a pistol can is for a PCC. I have multiple pistols with threaded barrels but my cans stay on my PCC’s.

A 9mm scorpion, MPX, SP5, etc is GREAT fun.

Reactions: Supersubes
    I’ve got 2 30 cal and 2 22lr cans.
    Looking to get another, mainly debating on a titanium 30 cal but got to looking at 9/45 cans.
    They seem cool at the range, but kind of pointless beyond that? Doesn’t seem logical to have on a carry gun at all.
    Is it worth diving into?
    Otter Creek Lithium 9 is designed specifically for 9mm PCC’s, but can be used on pistols, too. It’s super quiet, from what I’ve heard.

Other good options are the TBAC Fly45 or Rugged Obsidian 45.

My 9mm can is my least used can and I mostly wish I never wasted the money on it. It’s a Surefire Ryder 9 and has mostly been a piece of shit which has been a large part of it, but it’s worked fine on a few pistols and works great on PCC’s with the fixed barrel adaptor but those are mostly novelties to me. So it collects dust.

If it was a rifle rated 45 can I’d probably use it and enjoy it. I really like 45-70 and a suppressed 45-70 would be pretty gangster and I’d have a practical use for it. Maybe also for a 350 legend. I’m not interested enough to guy buy one for that though.

I’ve got 4 rifle cans and my next can will still be another 30 cal rifle can.

If you do really want a pistol caliber can my advice would obviously be to get something 45 cal and rifle rated and of course or hood quality because cans are buy once cry once items by default.

Reactions: Maurygold
    As others have said, they’re mostly a novelty on pistols, useful on pcc’s. You’d get more usefulness out of a rifle rated crossover like the hybrid or omega 36 but then they’re so heavy that they suck on actual pistols. I have a sico octane 45 that’s fun but still completely throws off the handling. I’m going to try a thunderbeast fly9 for better or worse, saw a deal I couldn’t pass up at the time.

Obsidian 45
    Great can, I have one. I shoot it on 9's as well. I have only one gripe; the front cap is not crowned and recesses into the tube. Don't drop that fucker on concrete or rocks. It'll need a trip back to the factory for repair. They did mine Ricky Tick and for no charge, so I can't complain about that. I just wish they made front caps that protected the front of the tube, making repair unnecessary.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Great can, I have one. I shoot it on 9's as well. I have only one gripe; the front cap is not crowned and recesses into the tube. Don't drop that fucker on concrete or rocks. It'll need a trip back to the factory for repair. They did mine Ricky Tick and for no charge, so I can't complain about that. I just wish they made front caps that protected the front of the tube, making repair unnecessary.
    I’ve run mine on my DW 1911 and it’s stupid quiet

And then a quick swap of the piston and she goes on my 9mm CZ

Great can and I probably need to shoot it more

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    They suck and I hate mine. Next to you shoot have a friend throw sand at your face every shot and dirty your red dot so you can’t see. Huge mistake only good for memes

I’ve run mine on my DW 1911 and it’s stupid quiet

And then a quick swap of the piston and she goes on my 9mm CZ

Great can and I probably need to shoot it more
    And........Silencerco pistons are interchangeable. ;)

IIRC, the Rugged pistons don't work on/in Silencerco (Osprey) because the Silencerco has a male protrusion on the body that mates with a groove in Silencerco pistons. Rugged doesn't have the protrusion (or a groove) so the groove in Silencerco pistons doesn't make any difference (in Rugged cans).

Last edited:
    Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Fun on a PCC, better yet on SBR pistol. Fun on a handgun, but other than maybe home defense HG, no true use for me other than Fun. A buddy calls a HG with can is like a retard with a potato stick

• Haha
    Reactions: redneckbmxer24
    My favorite pistol cans are the ones other people own. I can shoot a mag, giggle a bit, hand it back and continue having no use for such a thing. I like to do this once a year to get it out of my system.

I bought a Wolfman primarily as a can for my AP5. I got the booster and piston to run it on my P320, and like everyone has said, it’s fun but very much a novelty.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    I really thought I was going to be the odd man out thinking it was a dumb purchase and even dumber paying $200 and waiting a year for the be granted the privilege to take home my dumb purchase.

I really thought I was going to be the odd man out thinking it was a dumb purchase and even dumber paying $200 and waiting a year for the be granted the privilege to take home my dumb purchase.
    Not dumb, but not the most practical. A rifle or rimfire can is much more betterer.

Not dumb, but not the most practical. A rifle or rimfire can is much more betterer.

I think it’s dumb every time I look at it and realize I spent over $1K on something that collects dust.

I purchased my TBAC ultra 7 and 22 takedown at the same time and did all the paperwork together and I use the shit out of those cans. I almost got an ultra 5 too instead of the pistol can and I regret not doing that.

Reactions: Bluedog82
    I think it’s dumb every time I look at it and realize I spent over $1K on something that collects dust.

I purchased my TBAC ultra 7 and 22 takedown at the same time and did all the paperwork together and I use the shit out of those cans. I almost got an ultra 5 too instead of the pistol can and I regret not doing that.
    Have a PCC?

Fly 45 - pistols size/weight, but can also be used on rifle cartridges up to 308 sized cases. It has a HUB interface, so there are tons of mounting options.

If you’re wearing it out hunting, the holster is going to largely dictate what pistol you use.

Things may have changed, but when I went down that rabbit hole the simplest solution unfortunately vectored towards the Glock 17/19 and the Crye Gunclip. But, it really works.

Pretty easy to pop the gun out, although the motion is a little different. The gun isn’t going anywhere, believe me. Even if you forget to secure the button thing, it stays put.

The other suppressor holsters either were hacked together (by me) jobbies that were heavy or expensive factory big-ish ones that used gun lights for retention (IIRC).

So I bought a 19x, a suppressor, and a $40 Crye GunClip and (very) occasionally wear it at about 4-5 o’clock OWB (of course) while hunting.

Last edited:
    I bought a 9mm can as my first can because at the time I mostly shot handguns. For me, it was fun for a range trip or two then just got stuck in the safe to gather dust. I NEVER use it.

Reactions: Bluedog82
    I like mine.
    Obsidian 9.

When I’m walking around at the farm I can keep my pistol in my holster and my can in my pocket.
    With a quick attach system it’s like 1/3 turn or something to put it on so it’s ridiculously fast.

The only 9mm ammo I load is my subsonic stuff to shoot suppressed.

I like it personally and would buy it again.
    But I would go ahead and buy something that allows quick connect and keeps the can from coming loose.

I didn’t think it would be an issue. Until I put a hole through the endcap.
    I found out it only needs to be a tiny bit loose to hit the endcap or baffles.

I like mine.
    Obsidian 9.

When I’m walking around at the farm I can keep my pistol in my holster and my can in my pocket.
    With a quick attach system it’s like 1/3 turn or something to put it on so it’s ridiculously fast.

The only 9mm ammo I load is my subsonic stuff to shoot suppressed.

I like it personally and would buy it again.
    But I would go ahead and buy something that allows quick connect and keeps the can from coming loose.

I didn’t think it would be an issue. Until I put a hole through the endcap.
    I found out it only needs to be a tiny bit loose to hit the endcap or baffles.
    What QR system do you use?

Id trade this set up for a TBAC 30 cal can in a heart beat. Waste of money

IMG-6273.jpg

I have a couple TBAC 30 cal cans and yes they would be my first choice but I don’t regret my pistol can setup.

Have 3, plus a Wolfman that goes between pistols and ARs, and occasionally on one of my boltys. Plus 3 dedicated .22LR cans that bounce back and forth between various rifles and a couple SR22s with threaded barrels.

For me, the suppressed .22s are great firearms to introduce new shooters to the sport. Great for training younger shooters too. And frankly a lot of fun being able to shoot subs with no ear pro while plinking.

The dedicated pistol cans are specific tools for specific needs.

Odessa 9 is for a dedicated PDW ‘truck gun’ that is extremely concealable; built around a Sig P320 FCU. Usually in the ‘K’ configuration, but I’ll add the rest of the baffle stack about once a year to function check/confirm zero.

And Yes, that’s a $25 red dot on a $2K pistol setup, LoL…

i-rnLwNn5.jpg

i-Sj6cjGc.jpg

The Obsidian 45 usually rides on my PCC also chambered in .45ACP:

i-ZTFJ6pW.jpg

…with the freshly re-cored TiRant 45 almost always parked on my G21. Those two get used the most; my go-to tools for putting down varmints and trapped/penned hogs. Again, I only shoot suppressed if at all possible…have enough hearing loss from flying jets most of my adult life, and trying to save what remains.

i-cHLDkXg.jpg

Also have a SiCo Hybrid 46 sitting in ATF jail right now. Once that clears, it’ll be the dedicated can for that PCC, and my Obsidian will be free to go back into the handgun rotation again.

Last edited:
    That’s a pretty clean setup. Haven’t seen that holster before. Is that custom?

It's a nice holster without having to buy a $300 surefire . I got it during a black friday sale for like $89 OTD i think. It definitely makes the suppressed gun something i can carry around the farm but it's easier to have another mag in a pocket or truck door. I'll run a mag through the gun into a target then go meh and put it up. Dirty RMR and stuff hitting my face is the result

Reactions: carbonbased
    Much less shit hits me in the face when I use my subsonic loads.
    If I’m using full power loads I make sure and wear eye pro. And also have to wear ear pro. The full power stuff is still too loud and that’s from me, a guy with bad hearing requiring hearing aids.

It's a nice holster without having to buy a $300 surefire . I got it during a black friday sale for like $89 OTD i think. It definitely makes the suppressed gun something i can carry around the farm but it's easier to have another mag in a pocket or truck door. I'll run a mag through the gun into a target then go meh and put it up. Dirty RMR and stuff hitting my face is the result
    Eh, doesn’t matter anyway (for me) as the only pistol I own that fits that holster is…a Glock 19x lol. My poor CZ P-01 omega urban grey, 1911, and maybe future Sig p226.