• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of 75gr bthp’s

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I loaded up 6 different bullets to try and THE ones I didn’t want to work hammered. So I loaded it again for a 5 shot group while trying to make other bullets work. The first 3 hammered again, but then I got excited and pulled 2. Hornady 75gr bthp’s. Terrible bc (.395?) compared to other bullets but I primarily shoot 600 and in, and maby once a year 1k. So, should I let it eat with what it likes, or try my best to get something with a good bc to respectable results? These are cheap and I use pmc brass I process the hell out of. I always told myself if I was shooting expensive bullets or brass, it would be in a 6br or 6.5 creed, etc. which will come down the road.
26” 1:7 twist bolt gun.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: simonp
I have tried the 75s and I do not believe you.

Do you have the numbers to back those claims up?? What other bullets you tried, small rocks?

Do you have the numbers to back those claims up?? What other bullets you tried, small rocks?
Hornady 75 eldm’s, Hornady 88 eldm’s, Berger 75 vid’s, Sierra 77TMK’s, mead 77gr bthp, mead 85gr bthp, and the 75gr bthp’s were discussing. Everything but the 75gr eldm’s shot half decent/good, and could definitely be tuned to work, but some are much more expensive, and the 75 bthp’s have been hammering. Before any further load development.

Vlds and TMK’s shot well, but are almost twice the price.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 37
The cost to performance ratio is outstanding.
Threads done here show that the potential is there.

I have made few subsonic loads with them and they do great so I dunno what was wrong with them, N140 did better with them though so most likely just different powder preference.

Reactions: 03machstock

If that’s directed at me. I have shot tens of thousands of 75-77 bullets.
My favorites are the 77Scenar and 77Nosler or 77SMK in that order but the 75 Bt Hornady I have used as cheaper alternative many times. The actual wind drift at 600 yards is not a lot for field use. Obviously if your going for X’s on a NRA course in comp I am going with the slight edge every time but most of my shooting these days is field use so I prefer to have more 75’s for less money

Does that explain my reasoning?

Was not at you but your reasoning is in line with my own.

75s are excellent for making all-around and training ammo. Not for super serious business out far, which is not many rounds people usually shoot in a year. If you can get them running, which is not an exception. They certainly are not as tight in tolerances (mainly length variance = tip variance = BC variance) but considering everything, they do not have to be to be still very accurate.

I have shot a ton of scenars also, not as many as you, but my main issue with them was how to optimize the load since they ran well with pretty much any way (brass, powder, primer, seating depth, charge) I loaded them :)

I love them as a much more affordable 500 and in training bullet. Our 2 gun matches go out to 500, and these are what I load for those with great results. I can get 77 SMKs to shoot slightly better but not justfiably for the price difference.