• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of buying an AI AE MkI as a doner action

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I already have an AXMC in .300WM...

What I don't have is a bad-ass hunting rifle with a beautiful AAA grade stock and all the other shit that goes with a hunting rifle you'd love to show off and be a little scared to actually take hunting.

Where does an AE MkI come in? Well, why would I want to have a custom rifle built with a more "typical" style action? The AE, if I'm not mistaken, is made from high-carbon steel; great for a deep glossy blued finish (which to me, is essential for the style of rifle I want). Action isn't bonded to the chassis. Still the stellar AI action design (still a six lug action right?) with a great trigger. And it's cheap- relative to other AI's anyway. And the round action with rounded rear bolt section would give some nice lines.

Thoughts are, .300 Rem Short Action Ultra Mag, or 6.5 SAUM after having the bolt face opened up; I'm assuming the action would be strong enough to hold up to the pressure? See if a stock maker can somehow incorporate part of the chassis, perhaps after some extensive milling to decrease size and weight; hopefully removing any possibility of environmental conditions negatively influencing the action and barrel. I would need to come up with something for the magazine component to this; preferably a flush seating mag holding 3-4 rounds- might be able to make something happen with remington flush detach mags- maybe have to screw around with a few options before finding what works? I just know I cannot have a standard AI mag hanging down there, fucking up the lines of a work of art.

Anyway, any thoughts on this? Obnoxious idea? "Different enough" to make it worth while? SAUM in an AE MkI a death wish?

Last edited:
Interesting idea. I think any of the dbm bottom
metals could be used in conjunction with an aics mag since the mag/receiver relationship wouldnt need to change. Its been a long time since I had my AE's, but i recall the receiver being larger diameter than your average remmy footprint action. May be something to consider.

Interesting idea. I think any of the dbm bottom
metals could be used in conjunction with an aics mag since the mag/receiver relationship wouldnt need to change. Its been a long time since I had my AE's, but i recall the receiver being larger diameter than your average remmy footprint action. May be something to consider.

Action width shouldn't be an issue- stock would be hand made by a custom stock maker. I would only want to use an AICS mag if it could somehow be entirely housed in the stock. I don't want a mag hanging down below the stock, messing up the lines of the rifle. No-less, I have to believe it wouldn't be that hard to adapt a concealed box mag. Perhaps the worst part would be modifying .308 feed lips to work with a fat case. I doubt there exists internal, detachable mags designed for the RSAUM.

Thinking about it more. Is the front action screw in a weird location? Been too long since I looked at one. I know the front screw goes into the bottom of the recoil lug, which seems like it would move the front screw forward. Since your going to have to make custom bottom metal, you could probably saw the bottom off an AICS mag just above stock line and fab the base plate back on. Only If you can get the feed lips to work that is.

Proficiency can NOT be purchased.

HINT

What?

I'm talking about having a custom, one off, high-grade, show rifle made for light-duty hunting. Heirloom quality that will be passed down for generations. I'm asking for thoughts on if this is a practical and work-able idea, and you reply with "Proficiency can NOT be purchased"???? No one contemplates dropping $2500-$3000 on a hand-made wood stock, who knows how much to fit an AI receiver to an application it was not designed for, and finishing the thing in a high gloss blue, thinking that is somehow going to improve their skill. 75% of the cost involved would be strictly for cosmetics.

No one buy's a Bentley thinking it's going to turn them into an F1 driver.

WHY am I even explaining this? Google "ASI B4"

Last edited:
Thinking about it more. Is the front action screw in a weird location? Been too long since I looked at one. I know the front screw goes into the bottom of the recoil lug, which seems like it would move the front screw forward. Since your going to have to make custom bottom metal, you could probably saw the bottom off an AICS mag just above stock line and fab the base plate back on. Only If you can get the feed lips to work that is.

I've never even seen an AE in person, so all of this relates to the practicality/feasibility of the idea.

I wouldn't want bottom metal that ends up being a foot long because I have to put a forward action screw at the very front of the action into metal. So this might be the first major hang-up. I don't know if a screw with a larger, semi-flat head would be sufficient against a wood surface?

Oh, lol. The thread tenon length on an AE is the same as an AW, which is 1.5 ". A bunch longer than a remington. The actual action length is similar to a remington. The AE recoil lug is about 1/2" thick, and incorporates the front action screw in the bottom. There is no front screw hole in the action itself. I owned a mk2 and a mk3. Not sure if the mk1 is different. I do know that the mk1 used it's own single stack magazine.

edited: the extractor on the AI doesnt lend itself to opening up the bolt face. Google a pic of one and you'll see what i mean. Also, the bolt is very hard, and most smiths flat refuse to work on them. Same goes for the receiver body.

Last edited:
Oh, lol. The thread tenon length on an AE is the same as an AW, which is 1.5 ". A bunch longer than a remington. The actual action length is similar to a remington. The AE recoil lug is about 1/2" thick, and incorporates the front action screw in the bottom. There is no front screw hole in the action itself. I owned a mk2 and a mk3. Not sure if the mk1 is different. I do know that the mk1 used it's own single stack magazine.

edited: the extractor on the AI doesnt lend itself to opening up the bolt face. Google a pic of one and you'll see what i mean. Also, the bolt is very hard, and most smiths flat refuse to work on them. Same goes for the receiver body.

You're giving me some good info on potential sticking points! The extractor does appear to be a rather large affair. I doubt it couldn't be over-come though.

However, after looking at a photo, I'm more curious if the bolt could handle being opened up another tenth of an inch. Seems that could leave the material thickness a little lacking. But I really have no idea what is "too thin"
https://www.texasguntalk.com/rimg.php?src=http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/pics/ai/11.jpg

Anything is possible with enough money, time and resources.

Know a smith who turned a surplus Arisaka into a tack driving Palma rifle. He did it simply because he could.

with that said I think there are much better starting points other than the MK1. Badger action is heavily inspired by AI AW and shares the 700 footprint for action screws and bottom metal. This would make stock selection and bottom metal choices much easier.

Anything is possible with enough money, time and resources.

Know a smith who turned a surplus Arisaka into a tack driving Palma rifle. He did it simply because he could.

with that said I think there are much better starting points other than the MK1. Badger action is heavily inspired by AI AW and shares the 700 footprint for action screws and bottom metal. This would make stock selection and bottom metal choices much easier.

Thanks for the input. I'll get a better look at the badger. It seems most custom actions are stainless, which would be a problem for bluing.

Why the AE MK 1? I assume because they are poping up on Gun Broker fairly cheap?

Have you looked at Parker Hale or Sako actions?

Well, I really like the AI action, it would be pretty unique to have a high-grade, exhibition like hunting rifle built off an AI action. Of course, the availability for a relatively low price is the factor that has drawn me to that as an option. I couldn't see scrapping out a more current model just to get the action; it wouldn't feel right. Plus, the rear of the bolt on the MkI being rounded, would look a lot better with what I have in mind than the more current square style.

Parker Hale didn't even register when mulling this over, and Sako I didn't give much thought to either. A three lug Sako would be a strong contender though; would not give up much at all to the AI.

Last edited:
DP425, seems like a cool idea! I'd like to see the results. Different in execution, but it brings to mind the walnut stocked Mausingfield that LRI put together.

Hey 'Old reliable' - You're a fucking tosser as far as I can see from your recent posts, so go stick your opinions somewhere else champ.

I enjoy the fervor associated with building a useless Safe Queen and the hurt feelers as the realization unfolds.

Stupidity ain't "art".

HINT.

Old Reliable is an epic douche nozzle. He was known a Gawd Damn Right (or some dumb shit) before, and got the boot for being and insulting ass hole. He makes fun of people for anything and everything while he paints his rifles as gay as the latest, greatest psychedelic ass toys. The ignore button is your friend and I don't see him lasiting too long.

Some people like him don't understand that we do this for fun. I find it funny. This is a hobby. Nobody (including Old Reliable) would own a precision rifle if shooting it were as fun as multi-variable calculus.

Not even the guys who krylon their rifles to play in the mud and insult others for enjoying the hobby in other ways.
I mean, if that's fun to you, go right on ahead, I find it amusing to watch grown adults play soldier in the yard. As Peter Pan would say; Never grow up! Never!

Anyways, OP, if you want to do it, and you can afford it, I say go for it! America is America for a reason. Post plenty of pics when you are done!

Last edited:
Didn't mean to horn you up and you suck a mean ass. Congratulations?

I don't which is funnier,your trembling fingers or quivering lips.

Bless your heart.

Old Reliable ..... Welcome Back ,this place needs a good sifting and I for one have always appreciated your input
and the replies of others. I tried a 223ai thanks to some of your threads and info and It has become my Favorite Rifle.

Old Reliable may be different but if you listen you will learn.

Might as well be Scout Hide if he gets banned.

Only Facts interest me and I'm happy to leave Fluff to others.

I dont think there is much patience for Fluff.

It either works or it doesnt.

I have the luxury of Fluff and it doesnt do much for me.

Well, I got in touch with Stuteville Precision and was told that opening up an AI bolt isn't going to happen. So this idea is either going to switch to a .308 based cartridge, or be scrapped in its entirety.

Strongly considering an M2013 build in the same style I had intended for this idea.

I personally wouldnt consider an m2013 just because it's such a brick. At home on a tactical rifle, which isnt particularly graceful and already heavy to begin with.

Hunting rifles should be a little more graceful and handy imo. A weatherby mkV would give you the 60deg bolt. On the large end of the spectrum for a hunting rifle, but nowjere near a 2013 in girth. There are a few different sizes they can be found in. You could also look into brands you dont normally come across. J.P. Sauer comes to mind. They make a bitchin takedown rifle.

Browning A-bolt are nice actions as well. Dad has a matching pair from mid 90's in 223 and 308 both critter killin profiles and they are amazing. Not sure if current crop quality has gone down as many have in the last 2 decades but its another one to consider.

My vote still would be Sako

I know you've moved past the AE, but I had a chance to dig into an AE a bit last night. Whacky to say the least. Proportionally, way different than just about anything. Makes sense with the 1.5" tenon of the AW, combined with a breech ring. The remmy next to it is a long version. The rear action screw is in front of the trigger.

aa563af1f733e853e7d03f43664c0250.jpg
921683e2557d5553749fc1f483272a6e.jpg
21f3d06874045e696e97d5a4565e7c48.jpg
9513d54dc2477cd6933b8cfdff7f5c36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk