• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of replacing my USO legacy scopes

ipsullivan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
SC
I have acquired a few USO scopes over the years and I’m slowly starting to feel like there are better options out there for similar price point.

Thinking about switching them out for some glass with more modern reticles and lighter weight. I do like the simplicity of the Mil-GAP reticle. However, it leaves something to be desired when compared to some of the more modern stuff.

I have the following:
2x LR-17 (.308 bolt gun, .308 gas gun)
1x MR-10 (.22 bolt gun)
1x SR-4C (.300 BLK)

They are certainly solid scopes and have never disappointed me. Thinking about swapping the LR-17s for NF NX8 2.5-20 F1 Mil-C. And the SR-4C for a Razor 1-6. Unsure on the MR-10, I like have a similar optic platform on my precision .22 bolt gun.

I have a 2.5-10x24 NF with Mil-C reticle and I am a big fan of it. The NF zero stop is excellent in my opinion.

Any thoughts from USO users?

I had a couple of USO's many years ago. They were great scopes and I never had any issues either. I moved away from them for similar reasons, different reticles, bit more magnification, and I like to try new things. Back in the early 2000's they were all the rage and rightfully so. Seemed like everyone either wanted a S&B or a USO because they were about the only scopes with matching reticles and turrets. However, these days, they are not as popular as they once were. It sould be consideration that you may not be able to sell them without taking a least a bit of a beating.

The alternative way of thinking would be if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

CM

I wish I would have kept my OG ST10. It wasn’t that special but it looked good and was rugged. Hell, now I wish I hadn’t sold the Barrett it was sitting on either.

Sold all of mine and upgraded years ago and have no regrets. USO got stuck in a time stasis field and hasn’t left it. Nothing wrong with the scopes, but there are a lot better options out there now.

Reactions: Center Mass
You will not be happy getting the NX8 to replace the LRs. The reticle might be better, but that’s it. You would have to get the ATACR to be comparable.

Reactions: Charger442
Your money, your call. A newer scope may provide a competitive advantage but what else will it do. I have no doubt that there have been advances and price reductions over 20 years but are they worth the cost.

A similar price point would be free since you own the USOs. To me it would be worth it if there was a capability that it would add but to me it's not worth it to swap scopes just for a new model.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
no , if you wanna sell your property sell it . if you wanna keep it and replace it with something better god bless you do it . Why ask other people what you should do with your property it's almost as silly as asking permission from the group to have sex with your wife I vote no you may not . Without pictures it's hard to make decisions or to know what the best thing to do is lol best of luck either way .

I have several USO optics but if you want to sell them, sell them and get what you want. If you think the new optic will work better or do things your current scopes won’t, it should be an easy choice. I keep mine as they work fine for the rifles they are on and I don’t chase the latest reticles so I have no need to replace them.

Thanks for the objective feedback everyone. The more I think about it, they less I want to make the change. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it hit the nail on the head. Also, when considering my range time and skill level, I don’t think I will have any significant advantage with swapping glass.

For those stating the obvious about my property, do what I want. I was clearly not asking for permission.🙄

On a side note, maybe I need an ER-25 and a .338LM to complete the collection

Depends on why you want to get rid of them, if it’s for optical clarity or weight, you will find better. I think most of those old ones track great (my 10x that I had was perfect). ATACR would be where I would go with if you were to change. Also, you will take a huge ding to resale those (not worth it tbh).

Put one on ebay for a price you'd be happy with. If it sells, take it off the rifle and ship it and start scope shopping!

they are complete and udder crap scope. I cant believe you posted on a public forum that you owned and bought these on purpose with actual money.

send them to me, I will not tell anyone about it. I'm doing you a favor.

they are complete and udder crap scope. I cant believe you posted on a public forum that you owned and bought these on purpose with actual money.

send them to me, I will not tell anyone about it. I'm doing you a favor.
I knew it. Send me a shipping label and it’s a done deal!

• Love
Reactions: Bender