• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of....

RETE8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
SD
.....buying a FN SPR A1A. I am new here and enjoy shooting. I was considering picking up a 700 LTR in .308 since I already own a 700P and am vary satisified with its capabilities. But I hate owning two of almost the same thing. I have read good things about the FN bolt guns and the A1A is singing me a siren's song. I am interested in hearing from owner's, both past and present, of the SPR family of rifles.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond and yes, I tried the search engine....

Re: Talk me out of....

If your Remington 700 is already in 308, one will sit in the safe. The one which shoots better will be the one you like to shoot more often. I think spending your money on a semi-auto is the way to go, then you have one of each.

Personally I would take an FN SPR / Model 70 over a Remington 700 any day, and yes I own both.

One of the big things that a 700 has going for it is that it is the "small block Chevy" of rifles. Aftermarket parts galore. Also with it's cylindrical body it is a good base action to start with for accurizing. Does it mean it better? Not in my opinion but your choices aren't as limited as with other actions.

I still feel that the M70 is a better action because of the following:

- Controlled Round Feed
- Blade ejector
- Flat bottom receiver
- Integral recoil lug
- Coned breaching
- The right bolt lug raceway is blocked by the extractor when in battery. Helps keep gasses out of your face in the event of a case failure.
- Left side gas block serves as contact point for bolt stop instead of the bolt lug. It also blocks the left raceway to divert gasses. (The pre-64 actions do not have this feature but can be easily retrofitted.)
- Three position safety
- Reliable two lever open trigger
- Bolt handle won't break loose like a Remmy. It isn't soldered straight to the outside of the bolt body.
- Well finished and machined. (except for the post 64's made in the 70's)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=129397&Number=1413143

I'm going to have to agree with scottmilk. If you get the spr, i'm sure you will sell the remington soon after. no real reason to have 2 bench rifles that shoot the same caliber.

The spr is a very nice rifle and should serve you well.

I appreciate your guys advice. It looks like an SPR is going to be the next addition to the safe. I'll probably end up keeping the 700P though,just the way I am wired. I mean I have five .22LR revolvers (2 Smiths/2 Colts/1 Ruger)...I know which one is the "best", but I enjoy shooting all of them.

Thanks again!