• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me about Kelbly's

RFutch

Yoohoo. I'll make you famous.
Minuteman
  • Sep 28, 2010
    Georgia
    Looking at getting the Atlas Tactical SA for a 6.5 build. I currently have 2 Origin SA's, and I really like the mechanical ejectors, so that's what's drawing me to the Atlas. I've never seem one in person though so I'm curious about the feel of the action. Don't see much on here about them either.

Are there any other actions with mechanical ejection I should be looking at? I know the ARC actions have them but they really don't interest me.

Any comparisons are helpful, thanks.

Reactions: FredIII
    I’ve only handled and shot LA but I can say they leave very little to be desired.
    I was thinking about using one to build a BR or Dasher for the same reason you stated that ejection would be nice.

Reactions: RFutch
    I own 2 SA. I love them. Super smooth and the ejector is badass. Their prefit barrels are top notch too. Go figure a company can make a good barrel for their own action.

Reactions: alcap and ACW39
    I own 2 SA. I love them. Super smooth and the ejector is badass. Their prefit barrels are top notch too. Go figure a company can make a good barrel for their own action.

I can assume you can control how far you eject the brass just like an Origin?

I have an Atlas Tactical. Bolt lift is easier and overall smoothness is nicer than the Arc Nucleus (19lb spring) I have. Everything I've read says the extreme bolt stop is basically mandatory. And like most other actions with a trigger hangar, some inletting may be required.

Curious as to why you don't like ARC?

I'm sure they're fine but the constant changes to their product lines is kind of a turn off. It may be baseless but I can't get it out of my head. Also I have read about the Nucleus heayy bolt lift and light primer strikes without the heavier spring. Customer service woes as well, but I know they have made an effort to make that better.

Reactions: PatMiles
    I have an Atlas Tactical. Bolt lift is easier and overall smoothness is nicer than the Arc Nucleus (19lb spring) I have. Everything I've read says the extreme bolt stop is basically mandatory. And like most other actions with a trigger hangar, some inletting may be required.

Is their standard bolt stop not reliable?

I have an Atlas Tactical in my 6.5 MPA and that ejector is no joke. I always have at least one person says something about how it throws cases when I’m out with it. I have never had ejection issues that’s for sure. Just curious, what’s the primary purpose for this build?

Is their standard bolt stop not reliable?
    The heavy duty bolt stop is just that. I've actually bent the stop fe running it too hard and just bent it back. The regular bolt stop has a recurring issue of people shearing it clean off very easily.

I have an Atlas Tactical in my 6.5 MPA and that ejector is no joke. I always have at least one person says something about how it throws cases when I’m out with it. I have never had ejection issues that’s for sure. Just curious, what’s the primary purpose for this build?

Just a general purpose shorty that may see some hunting as well.

I think it would be a good choice for your build. I hope you post some pictures once you finish it.

You would think they could fix such a small part to keep it from breaking without having to make it harder to remove like the extreme duty version. Kinda lame.

I've been running an atlas for the last 2 seasons. I ran a 6.5 creed the first year and a dasher this year. It's been a solid action, super smooth, light bolt lift and a great value. Customer service is top notch as well.

Kelblys is awesome, look into the history a little bit and you will be impressed. The founder of the company apparently had part in the design of the rem 700. They hold a shit ton of world records and dominate f class.

Atlas Tactical is a super smooth action. The bolt practically closes itself as you start to close it. I found it was impossible to bind it during operation. I sold mine to a good friend and asked if he would sell it back and he laughed at me.

Can’t go wrong. I have a Atlas tactical long action. It’s super smooth and has never failed in some pretty dirty and harsh hunting environments. Not a safe queen by far. I did upgrade to the extreme bolt stop. They have great customer service and will do anything they can to help a guy out if the need arises.

I have run a lot of custom actions mostly belonging to great shooters. Having said that, the Atlas I ran was as smooth as I have seen. Their customer support and availability of spin on barrels can not be matched in my opinion.

I have a defiance deviant, terminus Zeus, stiller, zermatt tl3 and the kelbly atlas tac. I can attest that the atlas is sweet! I never changed the bolt stop and haven’t had any issues but have the hd bolt stop on hand in case. I’ve owned it for 3-4 years now and haven’t seen a single
    Hiccup. They are smooth.. like really smooth and almost impossible to make it bind. The bolt lift and close is the lightest of any action ive felt. Buy with extreme confidence. Mechanical ejector works the same as the bighorn but I find it almost stronger maybe if that’s the right word. When running the bolt it really throws them, further then the tl3 I find, but both can make a nice neat little pile beside you of running controlled.

For the money I think it’s tough to beat. Would make for a beautiful hunting action and tactical action. The way it chews up dirt and spits it out would make me believe it to be a fantastic hunting action as well. That said tl3/origin is suppose to be the same that way. My tl3 can bind with ease if not ran straight, the more I run it the more I’m comfortable with it but when I pick up one of the others I can’t make them bind, then get behind the tl3 again and it will bind in the first 5 before I get back into the rhythm.

Been running mine 2 years now maybe 2000 rounds. Its been great never an issue with bolt stop. One of the most underrated actions out there. Great people too. When you talk to them you are talking to some serious shooters

Glad to hear it’s nice and smooth. I was on the fence between this and a defiance of some flavor. I think I’m gonna go with the Kelblys.

Reactions: Matt_3479
    I had SAC build me a rifle when they first came out. They are extremely smooth and well built for the money. I have been buying and dealing with them for over 20 years. They all are great people to deal with and customer service has always been the best in the business hands down.

Reactions: Sevens
    So PVA won't do a prefit for them. Still waiting to hear back from Keystone.

Any other smiths that have good button barrels for a decent price that might do a prefit? Don't need a cut rifled ultra-premium barrel for this gun.

So PVA won't do a prefit for them. Still waiting to hear back from Keystone.

Any other smiths that have good button barrels for a decent price that might do a prefit? Don't need a cut rifled ultra-premium barrel for this gun.

Kelbly will prefit for you, bugholes, area 419 sells prefits for them

Yeah I checked those but PVA and Keystone both offer button barrels that are a little more affordable.

I can only speak to their rings (have a couple sets), but they for sure care about fit and finish and quality, also good customer support.

Kelbly are some of the best in the industry.
    Talk to either Ian or Jim or Ryan and they will be 100% honest with you and talk you through each step.
    You won't be disappointed with your choice.
    I've dealt with them for years. Never had an problem.

Sounds like a really good choice. Now I'll just have to figure out if there's any issues with the inlet on my MPR chassis.

Kelbly's also can have barrels drop shipped. So if you find a cheaper button rifle barrel just have them ship it there. I have bugholes do it quite a bit, they just call me when it's done.

I have several Kelbly actions. I think they have top notch fit, finish and function. Additionally, they have a strong reputation in the benchrest community. An action serves as an anchor to hang the barrel, a precisely machined channel for a well-fit bolt, and a precision ignition system. I feel Kelbly has a line of actions that can support very heavy target barrels, and have precise machining so the bolt fits, locks and extracts properly: neither too-tight for dust, nor too loose causing variable locking or flex. Finally, the ignition system has proven to be consistent and reliable. I think that is one of the reasons they are successful in benchrest.

Because the actions have consistent manufacturing and headspace, I can swap barrels amongst my Kelbly actions. My Black Bear barrels will fit on my Kodiak, and adding their precision spacer, the same barrels can fit onto my Atlas Tactical. I order my barrels from Kelbly, and although they cost a bit more than some prefits, I think they are well worth it. They use top brands like Krieger, the chambering is top-notch, and they Nitride their barrels. I feel their barrels are a great value. Since barrels are a small fraction of the cost compared to the $2000-$2500 worth of ammo used shoot the barrel out, I feel the small premium paid to use their barrels is well worth the cost.

Last edited: