• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me about rum.

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Asheville NC
    Talk to me about rum. I have been intrigued lately by rum and contemplating venturing into it. I have been a single malt drinker for around 20 years as well enjoy a good sipping tequila and mezcal on occasion. I prefer my single malts from the highland and speyside region mostly and 14-21 years in age.. Tequila I prefer anejo and extra anejo. Love smokiness in my Tequila.

Now rums.
    I know age statements vary on what's in the bottle. Some are minimum aged while others have a range up to what's on the bottle. Also how do regions and different countries influence the flavor profile? Would love some suggestions on where to start. Thinking El Dorado, Appleton estate, Flor de Cana, and maybe something else.

Hi,

SHIT, I read all that because I interpreted "contemplating venturing into it" as in looking to get into it as a business in manufacturing it.....lol

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Sorry, just looking for a sipping spirit to learn about and explore. I love scotch, Irish whisky, and tequila, but sometimes we need to branch out.

I'll admit I don't drink a lot of rum so my experience is limited. Anyway, a few years ago I was in Puerto Rico, and tried some Ron del Barrilito 3 star, and found it to be pretty tasty. It's not too terribly expensive, and even less so in the duty free store. They also make a 5 star, but I've never tried it. Not much info I know, but maybe a place to start.

Mostly a Scotch enthusiast myself, but I've found that Ron Zacapa Edicion Negra and Angostura 1824 are both very good sipping rums, that in their way, approach the complexity and depth of good single malt Scotch. Really don't have the knowledge to comment on the different regions and styles of rum.

I've tried a couple of rums over the years at a friends house, don't know what kind. I do know that it was nasty enough I wasn't spending any of MY money on it. YMMV

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    Appleton Estate 12, El Dorado 12, Mount Gay XO and Gosling's Old Rum are all excellent choices that a whiskey drinker would tend to enjoy.

A couple of less expensive ones that I also like are Kaniche XO and Cruzan Black strap.

I'm not a rumologist, but I do happen to like the Brugal Dark Rum. I drink most everything 'straight' while most everyone uses soda's, juices, and salad-blend in their drinks.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    All I know is, drink enough rum and you'll forget about all your problems.
    Of course, you'll have some new ones, but, hey.

Reactions: oneshot86
    I use the Plantation 5 year old one in mixed drinks sometimes. Not much of a drinker though.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
    Hell, yeah!

Ron Zacapa - the XO is the best out there, but the 23 is really good too.
    Diplimatico for sure
    Zaya is good stuff
    Expensive Mount Gay
    El Dorado

I've never been impressed with Appleton - it's not bad, just average. Pyrat was disappointing, unless you're mixing it in with a lot of coconut and pineapple juice.

Made from molasses. Heavy notes of butterscotch and dark chocolate.

You are welcome.
    1618801935457.png

Reactions: Snowballs
    Ron Pampero Aniversario is a great midrange Rum. Easily competes with rums 2-3 times its price range. Perfect for taking to the field or swilling on a boat ride. Comes with a convenient leather pouch for storing your loose 22LR and 223 ammunition in for plinkin' while drinkin' off the side of the boat. (joking of course)

Appleton Estates or Santa Teresa 1796 after that for day drinking.

At the top, see johnnycat's post above.
    Hell, yeah!

Ron Zacapa - the XO is the best out there, but the 23 is really good too.
    Diplimatico for sure
    Zaya is good stuff
    Expensive Mount Gay
    El Dorado

I've never been impressed with Appleton - it's not bad, just average. Pyrat was disappointing, unless you're mixing it in with a lot of coconut and pineapple juice.

Kraken. My ex and I affectionately refer to it as truth serum... LOL. If you don't want to know what's wrong with you, don't let your girlfriend or wife have any

I’ll second the Ron Zacapa Edicion Negra, I bought that plus the 23 and XO to taste test all three at the same time. The Edicion Negra just tastes better to me, It’s one of the only liquors I drink neat, most others get mixed with ginger ale.

Only problem is that only one store near me has it and they only get a couple bottles every few months so I just stock up when they have it.

Talk to me about rum. I have been intrigued lately by rum and contemplating venturing into it. I have been a single malt drinker for around 20 years as well enjoy a good sipping tequila and mezcal on occasion. I prefer my single malts from the highland and speyside region mostly and 14-21 years in age.. Tequila I prefer anejo and extra anejo. Love smokiness in my Tequila.

Now rums.
    I know age statements vary on what's in the bottle. Some are minimum aged while others have a range up to what's on the bottle. Also how do regions and different countries influence the flavor profile? Would love some suggestions on where to start. Thinking El Dorado, Appleton estate, Flor de Cana, and maybe something else.
    Zakappa 23 and XO are always in my Arsenal.

Hart & Son
    Original 1804

Rum Purveyors - First Supplier of rum to The British Royal Navy
    Made in Guyana

Enjoy; neat or with cola

If you're an experienced single malt sipper, you're going for flavor and complexity more than a simple buzz or something to mix, so you'd probably be disappointed after tasting most of the suggestions here. For a good sipper that would please the palate a single malt aficionado, and keeping it between $40-80 a bottle, I'd look into these:

Ron Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva,
    El Dorado 15 year,
    Plantation XO
    Plantation OFTD
    Kirk & Sweeney 23 year
    Ron Zacapa 23 year

Reactions: gimpy
    If you're an experienced single malt sipper, you're going for flavor and complexity more than a simple buzz or something to mix, so you'd probably be disappointed after tasting most of the suggestions here. For a good sipper that would please the palate a single malt aficionado, and keeping it between $40-80 a bottle, I'd look into these:

Ron Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva,
    El Dorado 15 year,
    Plantation XO
    Plantation OFTD
    Kirk & Sweeney 23 year
    Ron Zacapa 23 year
    C6BC8983-A941-44E5-8DD8-D46A4FCDBD9D.jpeg

Reactions: Odysseus1911
    First, you need to get a bit of an understanding of vast variety of Rums. Unlike Tequila, Bourbon, and many other spirits, there are no real "rules" on rum production, other than it has to be make with sugarcane as a base. I would suggest getting a bottle or two of the representative styles and then you can narrow down your tastes.
    Rhum Agricole (Martinique) is the most unique in flavor, it must be made from locally grown fresh sugarcane juice, whereas most other rums are made from molasses. It has a very grassy taste, quite unique. Rums from Jamaica tend to have the most flavors if they are made in the traditional method using pot stills and Dunder (muck left over from the distillation process that is left out to rot in an open pit).
    Those two styles tend to be the ends of the spectrum. In between you will find "Spanish styles" (Cuba, Puerto Rico) that are made using a column still and aged a bit and carbon filtered, so they tend to be lighter in flavor. "British styles" tend to dominate the market (Barbados, Venezuela, Virgin Islands etc) and are made with molasses and various combinations of pot and column stills. Then there are rums from the South Pacific, India etc. Rum is made practically everywhere.
    Ageing is far over emphasized as a measure of quality or taste and is more a marketing gimmick. In addition, the rules vary on what you can claim for "age". Most rums are blends of different ages and processes, as well as being aged in different barrels in different climates. What type of barrel you use (the most common is used American oak bourbon barrels) and where it is aged has a huge impact on the flavor. Color also means nothing as regards to quality, Bacardi silver for example, is aged 2 years, then carbon filtered to remove the color and all dark rums like Meyers or Pussers are colored with caramel.
    You will find many of the better rums, typically from smaller producers, are over-proof (can also be called barrel proof or navy strength).
    Most of the suggestions already mentioned are good, but it does depend on how you are going to drink the spirit. A rum that can stand up to a tiki drink won't sip as well on ice for example. One of my favorite sipping rums is Barbancourt from Haiti, it really is exceptional with a splash of club soda and lime.

Now rums.
    This is the answer you seek. Product of Barbados and recommend to me by an awesome guy from the Dominican Republic.
    16188468290613463018928905772109.jpg

Havana Club blanco, mix, with Reeds extra ginger ail on Ice .. it hands down nectar of the gods .

Bdhwjsba bdhsjsn ndkijennh ndkej m

pretty much sums it up. Get you some get shitfaced and start a goody ass thread about your experience 😊😊

I agree with the Ron Zacapa recommendations. I would say the best I’ve had is RonCentenario Real, 30 year and 25 year is really good too. The first two I definitely like better than Zacapa XO. These are incredible. El Dorado 21 and 25 are very good also.
    99B68F0B-109E-4533-8A02-7A8758707812.jpeg

Reactions: Odysseus1911
    Start with Havana Club dark rum and work your way into the ones labeled Ron!
    Can you even get that in the US? Not the dark, not the light but the other one...

It's the "real deal" and the proper rum for a "Cuba Libre". Fairly cheap in Canada, I used to stock up on it when I would make trips there.

Mount Gay is I think the closest thing in the US, I've probably got some. It's another one that goes excellent with Coke.

There's an interesting history to it all, I forget much of the details. Lots of thievery, corruption and crooked shit going on, then when Cuba when commie it really messed things up.

Well, I have bought Havana Club rum in the USA....Birmingham, AL specifically....haven’t seen it since

Why I hate and love this site.

Headed to the dam liquor store to track down one of the suggestions

I still stand by Bumbu.
    But I’m gonna try out the Ron

Attachments

• A4888BD9-2EA9-49F7-89AC-3F42524AAE93.jpeg
      A4888BD9-2EA9-49F7-89AC-3F42524AAE93.jpeg
      80.1 KB · Views: 23
    Well, I have bought Havana Club rum in the USA....Birmingham, AL specifically....haven’t seen it since
    Anything legally sold in the US is from Puerto Rico and made by Bacardi using the recipe from the original family. The stuff in Canada is from Cuba.

While I have nothing against the major rum brands, I would encourage anyone interested in rum to be more adventurous and explore some of the smaller brands and distillers. You get the advantage of finding some unique gems and are not paying the "big brand" markup (think Casa Amigos Tequila). Places like K&L Wines have amazing selections of unique bottlings in the $30-$60 range. I would also encourage you to look at American craft distillers like Privateer and Montanya, or search for craft distillers in your area to visit.