• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me about the 20bra and 22bra

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Looking for a caliber for the next build. I’m wondering if anyone is running one of these two and what your thoughts are. What loads and velocities are you running?

Why not 22 GT? Way less ass pain forming cases. I'd estimate 2900-2950 for 88-90 grain .224 bullets just based on where the 6mm version falls with the 105-108s and what I've seen from various corners of the internet WRT load recipes. That's without going stupid on powder charge or barrel length. Worst case, 2850 fps?

I'd guess you can obtain "ludicrous speed" if using the 40-50 grain stuff for varmints if that's the desire. Looking forward to seeing some of those numbers. ;-)

mainly because I have a 6bra and love everything about the cartridge. It’s just so accurate, so easy to tune, so simple to fireform. I’m looking for a caliber more for target and hunting and shave some weight compared to my match set up 223 running the 75’s at 3075fps, and a little extra omph to my 20 tac running thr 35’s at 4020 fps. Both work great but I’d like to have a set up slightly lighter then the 223, and for longer use then the 20 tac.

Reactions: 260284
Would echo the comment above, another 20 caliber may not get you the “omph” you’re looking for. The 22 bore would open up your options.

Since you already have 6BRA components, have you thought about a short freebore 6bra. Alex Wheeler has mentioned using an 8 twist barrel slinging 50 ish to 60 ish grain bullets in his varmint rig with great results (red mist/acrobatics).

add velocity from there

shoot some 55s in the 20cal

Reactions: Matt_3479
Nothing to add on the BRA, I have a 20br, shooting 24ntx at 4700

I’d go 22 just for bullet selection
I’m a big 20 cal fan but bullet selection alone is what’s drawing me to 22 in this market. When you can’t find anything, something is generally better then nothing lol.

Would echo the comment above, another 20 caliber may not get you the “omph” you’re looking for. The 22 bore would open up your options.

Since you already have 6BRA components, have you thought about a short freebore 6bra. Alex Wheeler has mentioned using an 8 twist barrel slinging 50 ish to 60 ish grain bullets in his varmint rig with great results (red mist/acrobatics).
I’m not really looking for another 6mm as I have 2. The added bc of the heavier 22 cals interest me more then a light weight 6mm even though they are proven. The 20 cal works just fine for me, I’m mainly looking for an excuse to build a new rifle as I’m wanting to try a new action

Yes, I'd do the 20br again, bought an urban rifleman bull barrel remage for around $300, but it is a bit of a novelty for lasering groundhogs within 200 yards.
20br you are pigeon holed into light varmint bullets, unless you are doing an 8 twist to run the bergers, which may be better for mid ranges, but that is the extent of the heavy options, would suck if your barrel doesn't like them. 22br/a could with the right freebore could run lighter bullets, but still run the heavies with an appropriate twist...which I am doing this winter, if that works out I may get rid of the 20br barrel and do something real stupid.

mainly because I have a 6bra and love everything about the cartridge. It’s just so accurate, so easy to tune, so simple to fireform. I’m looking for a caliber more for target and hunting and shave some weight compared to my match set up 223 running the 75’s at 3075fps, and a little extra omph to my 20 tac running thr 35’s at 4020 fps. Both work great but I’d like to have a set up slightly lighter then the 223, and for longer use then the 20 tac.
3000 is easy with a the 88gr ELDM in a 22BR, so it should be easier in the 22BRA. Both of my 22 BR barrels are heavy 26", but a lighter version would make a great coyote/deer rifle with pretty decent barrel life.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Yes, I'd do the 20br again, bought an urban rifleman bull barrel remage for around $300, but it is a bit of a novelty for lasering groundhogs within 200 yards.
20br you are pigeon holed into light varmint bullets, unless you are doing an 8 twist to run the bergers, which may be better for mid ranges, but that is the extent of the heavy options, would suck if your barrel doesn't like them. 22br/a could with the right freebore could run lighter bullets, but still run the heavies with an appropriate twist...which I am doing this winter, if that works out I may get rid of the 20br barrel and do something real stupid.

Yah that’s the only thing that makes me hesitant on the 20 bra. Wouldn’t be much use to me if I couldn’t shoot the 55gr bergers. My 2 20 tacs shoot 35-40gr’s perfectly and fast
So it wouldn’t be much better in the br variants.

Yah that’s the only thing that makes me hesitant on the 20 bra. Wouldn’t be much use to me if I couldn’t shoot the 55gr bergers. My 2 20 tacs shoot 35-40gr’s perfectly and fast
So it wouldn’t be much better in the br variants.
Are you tac’s bolt or AR set ups?

Are you tac’s bolt or AR set ups?

Both were bolts, ripped apart the one and rebarreled to the other action as a back up barrel for when the first burns out and sold the second action (700 done up). So now I’m looking to build the back up coyote and target gun. Hence thinking 20 or 22 cal.

These are the two currently. 223 tl3 (bravo) target/practice gun weighing in at 17lbs and then my 20 tac ks arms sar action weighing in at 11.5lbs if I recall. I don’t like dragging out the 223 due to weight so would like to add another
7DB59FB3-E5AD-44AC-AD7D-EC77C7761006.jpeg
DC65CD16-68ED-4B0E-9D12-3BF34D4BC8A4.jpeg

What’s the goal?
The goal is mainly to continue my action quest. So I need to try and come up with 3 more builds on 3 different actions and I have to start somewhere. So I’m thinking of a 22 cal for the purpose of coyote hunting/target.

Reactions: 2c1fr