• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talked to an Ardent Anti-Gun Dem the Other Day...

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So the guy at American Legion turned out to be a long time fund raiser for them. Mans phones, calls people, arranges for donations. Said he's become disillusioned as of late, but still espouses many of their ideals. We talked a while, it was just the two of us and he's a really nice guy --he's a Korean and Vietnam vet, was in for the duration of BOTH wars and left SGM. When I told him that if they'd just back away from attacking the 2A, they'd get a LOT more votes. He said "they don't want to take away ALL your guns" and "don't you know what the 2A says, what it means?" and he went into the milita/standing army argument, to which I responded those ammendments were passed by the same congress that passed the first standing army, Legion of the US, which was renamed five years later to "US Army". He didn't really have a response for that. So I continued by telling him that the Constitution itself states that if necessary, it's the duty of the citizens to organize and defend the values of the nation, even against our own government if need be. That can only be done with a healthy respect for the 2A. That in essence, it gives the average citizen arms parity with the average soldier (to a degree, it's been whittled down of course). He said they couldn't dream of the technology we have today and I told him it was already changing in their day, explaining rifles vs. muskets. He tried to use the hunting argument slyly, saying they aren't concerned about hunting weapons but what do you hunt with AR's? I told him it's not about hunting, that it's one of the best and most common rifles for a variety of shooting sports as well as defense, and yes, people DO hunt with them, regularly too. When he learned that I had 'em, and actually had one tricked out SBR behind the seat that day, including an M2HB and others at home, he was surprised. I told him I of course keep 'em locked in a 3 ton vault using a combo and a key and take the responsibility very seriously, he got interested and wanted to hear more. He really leaned in on the NFA stuff. I told him about growing up with 'em, and it got him to reminiscing about hunting as a kid. He said his dad also kept a pistol and told him to never touch it. Then gave the "it was a different time" argument. I told him that yeah, there is a difference but that can be fixed. That he didn't touch his dads pistol for the same reason I didn't touch my dad's pistol: I respected firearms. I also had my own, was taken shooting and had been hunting, but learned early I preferred shooting to hunting. I'd also shot his pistol at the range, which gave me more respect for it as a kid. Instead of putting something off limits and sheltering me, I was taught and understood, so when friends came over, they weren't allowed to touch the firearms. I didn't share in their curiosity. I also had a wicked pellet rifle to use to train with, and had the same respect for it. I was taught firearms aren't the tools you use to settle arguments with, not to brandish and that they're last resorts for self defense. Instead of letting PlayStation or Netflix teach your kid how to use firearms, how about the parents do that instead? With real firearms? It's the only way. He ended up having to concede or agree with a lot of what I told him. I used some of you guy's arguments and recalled the first standing arm by being 1791 from "Military Jeopardy", so go 'Hide!

At the end, it went very well. I think he genuinely learned something about firearms culture and where most of us come from. That we're not "crazy gun nuts" or any of that shit. He doesn't help Dem Party anymore, but I think that was coming anyway (I think he's breaking ties altogether but not over firearms I'm sure). I find this to be common though, that if you are respectful and honest and treat them well, they usually change their mind to some degree post discussion, unless ardent hardcore anti's. It's just hard for one American to deny another American freedom based on faceless doctrine to his face when he gives a good argument and is covered by the Constitution. Groups aren't as easy to talk to.

All in all, it was a good conversation and I think he learned a lot about the culture. Hard to believe he made it this far in life without knowing some of that. But they do say America is number one when it comes to the ability of denial and avoidance of facts.

This is how you win hearts and minds. Most liberals are liberal because the have no real exposure to conservative values. It's nurture not nature on this particular front. As I've said a my entire adult life, our country was founded by people who disagreed with each other. But, they were able to cooperate DESPITE their differences. Having an open mind is a two way street. It involves processing an argument, and responding with fact.

Good work!

In all honesty, he sounds like a "yes man". Just MHO. He would've sucked dick with anyone wanting to sit and drink with him at the Legion.

Reactions: diverdon
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 9.15.21 AM.png

Very nice. If you can ever get a liberal to shut up and quit calling you names for 5 minutes you can normally have a good conversation. I dont need to change their mind as much as their attitude. They dont want guns fine. Dont take mine and we will both be happy.

I know a lot of the guys on our local SWAT team. Knew a lot of em before they were LEO. They will be at home taking care of their families and not raiding anything.
    So who will be?

I agree, I have had some decent conversations, and a lot that are not even decent.
    When they mention forced taking as a possibility, I ask just that, if they are willing to have a civil war over it? And if they are willing to die for what they believe in or they just want someone else to die for them? Spineless pukes every time.
    Its a big difference to believe in something and be perfectly ok dying for that belief. My faith, my family, and the Constitution are on my list.

Reactions: Fig and diverdon
    I've had a few similar conversations in the past (though perhaps I am a bit less eloquent than Strykervet.) More often they have taken the facts I've given them to some liberal brain trust and been trained in a few bullet points they can use to shut you down the next time you are having a conversation in public. These people do not tend to be honest, they tend to be practiced in deception.

I think it was a mistake to discuss any of your toys with some one like this. Think about who his friends and contacts are. If you wanted to try to educate him you should stuck to the realm of historical facts, current statics and Philosophical ideas. You get no bonus points for giving this guy peek into your toy box. I know of people who have been robbed after discussing their toys with friends over beer. Connected? I can't prove it.

Five years from today if you feel that this guy has really switched sides that would have been soon enough to discuss the fact that you actually have guns.

A friend had highschool aged sons and often let his sons bring friends over to learn to shoot. My friends #1 rule was all phones and cameras go into a locked box before any guns come out. This was to assure that the boys would not be able to share pics of his guns over social media.

Reactions: jrassy
    I had one of those conversatons recently. Didnt turn out so well. After a lot of bullshit rhetoric it came down to me asking him..."so if armed men broke into your home at 3am would yu fight of die?" The gutless little fuck wouldnt answer. More spinning bullshit like"id try to flee...I dont believe in killing, Id try to disarm them" I kept pushintg for an answer "fight or die?". He finally accused rme of attacking him and said "this conversation is over."Its the same every time, why bother.?

I had one of those conversatons recently. Didnt turn out so well. After a lot of bullshit rhetoric it came down to me asking him..."so if armed men broke into your home at 3am would yu fight of die?" The gutless little fuck wouldnt answer. More spinning bullshit like"id try to flee...I dont believe in killing, Id try to disarm them" I kept pushintg for an answer "fight or die?". He finally accused rme of attacking him and said "this conversation is over."Its the same every time, why bother.?

The simple fact is he is probably better armed than you are and plans for him and the rest of the master class to keep their guns. I guess my wife is right when she says I'm a real asshole to some of the people I have political disagreements with. I don't take kindly to someone telling me that I should be happy to be their property.

Reactions: Fig
    I have been an officer for 25 years and have been to law enforcement tactical marksman (sniper) school a few times and I can tell you that I will not be taking anyone's firearms. The issue is a lot of the newbe's are mellinials and some (most) should not be carrying guns or have any authority without adult supervision. I have had some pretty heated arguments with new officers and they are being taught this shit in the academy's. Most of these people have never been in a true fight so they react with emotion instead of tactics. We are going to be in a hell of a mess in the very near future as these dipshits take over.

I have been an officer for 25 years and have been to law enforcement tactical marksman (sniper) school a few times and I can tell you that I will not be taking anyone's firearms. The issue is a lot of the newbe's are mellinials and some (most) should not be carrying guns or have any authority without adult supervision. I have had some pretty heated arguments with new officers and they are being taught this shit in the academy's. Most of these people have never been in a true fight so they react with emotion instead of tactics. We are going to be in a hell of a mess in the very near future as these dipshits take over.

I'm sorry to hear a lot of what you are saying. Hopefully most of those kids grow up to where they can make the correct choices.

At any rate, check one more enlightened. I generally have good conversations with people like this, I don't get confrontational. I let them say something stupid, then show it to be wrong or shock them when they realize I'm one of those guys. The "I have the main weapon for a Stryker and short silenced AR's of all types" usually gets 'em. Then I explain how I store them and respect them and how using them in crimes is the farthest thing from my mind. They think all gun owners, especially collectors of multiple AR's and NFA stuff, are all alike and are all racist homophobe assholes looking for someone to start shit with so they can use their firearm. They like me though, I'm not like that, so when I explain to them logically the fallacies they've been led to believe, they generally listen. What is it, DISC theory? Saw it in that movie about Wonder Woman's creator. Domination, inducement, submission, compliance? Compliance breeds discontent, inducement breeds willingness to go along. So dominate someone into compliance, they'll do what you want but rebel. Induce or seduce them into submission and they willingly go along. This is akin to taking an anti to a firing range and "flipping" them. Give 'em an AR and show 'em what it's all about along with a little lesson.

It's about making friends, really, but if they feel guilty after firing the AR or can't repeat the lies after learning the truth leading to them not being able to fully commit to "the cause" anymore, well, that's fine too! But Granny always said you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and she was tended to always be right.