• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taming a 16" 308 flame

FrozenRopes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
MA, USA
I put a JP Compensator - Large Profile on 16" 308 Winchester barrel for the main purpose of helping muzzle rise.
It helps a lot with recoil, but flames up and blocks the scope.

Is it the JP Compensator along with the shorter barrel causing this?
Would different ammo make a difference?

I've been thinking about trying another brake. I had these in mind:
Noveske KX3, probably the best flash suppressor, but lacking in muzzle rise
Primary Weapon Systems FSC30, a nice balance between muzzle rise and flash suppressor
BA BattleComp, the most expensive, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Any muzzle brake suggestions for a 16" 308 that won't flame the optics, but help with muzzle rise.

10-4
Thought it may keep you from having to buy a new brake. I also shoot a 16" 308, but use a suppressor most of the time. I do have a Linear style brake that I used, but it will be nowhere near efficient as the JP. I will be interested in what you find for load development. I currently use varget, switched from the RL 17.

10-4
Thought it may keep you from having to buy a new brake. I also shoot a 16" 308, but use a suppressor most of the time. I do have a Linear style brake that I used, but it will be nowhere near efficient as the JP. I will be interested in what you find for load development. I currently use varget, switched from the RL 17.

I'm going to use the brake for a 7mm, so I won't be out any money.
I wish I could own a suppressor, Massachusetts... That would solve all my problems.
I was also planning on using Varget... I'll let you know.

Ok back to the topic at hand.
So any thoughts or opinions on the following for a 16" 308?
Noveske KX3,
Primary Weapon Systems FSC30,
BA BattleComp,

I had a FSC30 on a SASS I used to own. Worked pretty well and there wasn't much flash. Thing is, when muzzle devices try to do 2 things, they're never (in my experience) as good as a dedicated device. The KX3 is really more for building back pressure on SBR's than taming recoil. I have no experience with the BA so I'll keep my thoughts to myself. Side note, also check out the AAC brakeout. It's a single chamber brake with a 4-prong hider on it.

I use a Smith Enterprises Vortex Flash Supressor on my Remington 308, and one on my M-4 at work. At night, with zero light, you cannot see any flame coming from the muzzle. With either caliber. The SR-25 systems on the other hand spew a massive fireball without a Vortex.
I highly recommend it and I would be shocked if it did not fix your problem 100%!

I don't know how Mass. laws are for 'evil' flash suppressors, but I run AAC Blackout flash suppressors on my 5.56 (16") and .308 (20") and get zero flash. I have used the SE Vortex for .308 in the past and they are excellent as well.