• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent theta 3-15 hunter

jmw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2018
Missouri
I am considering this scope for a hunting rifle. Any opinions on it?

I’ve only handled one and not actually used it on the range but I wouldn’t buy one because I found the turrets to be wonky and the reticle a little heavier than it needed to be.

I’d go TT315M with the gen 2 Mildot if that’s what you’re looking for.

Reactions: Secant
I own one and like it. Reticle is usable a all magnification ranges without illumination, it's not a good prs reticle but I think it's great for hunting. The scope has a nice low profile on a hunting rifle.

Things that I would change:

Center dot in the reticle, could keep the rest as is. I would think there has to be a way to add 0.2 mil windage marks that are usable at higher magnification and still maintain visibility at low magnification, but I haven't seen anyone else offer this.

I would prefer locking turrets that you can see what it's set to when locked.
The revolution indicator is next to useless as its not visible from behind the gun and you can't determine it's position by feel.

I do like the scope and don't see me getting rid of it. If I was in the market currently though I would buy the 4-16x42 ATACR with MIL-R as it is half the price and I much prefer it's turrets. Although the eye piece rotating with the magnification ring bugs me on the ATACR.

I agree with the TT315M over the TT315H due to reticle and turrets. The Gen 2 Mildot is plenty thick and useable on low magnification without illumination, but Illumination is there if needed. You can also see the rev indicator & where the turrets are at all times. In my experience, the marksmen series turrets are not going to move accidentally, and locking turrets are unnecessary.

Reactions: jmw