• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent Theta 525P CCA GEN2XR Review

blbennett1288

Rivet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2017
    Hoover, Alabama
    I have been thinking about how to sum up my experience with the T525P in a tag line, and the correct words are mind-numbing refinement. @Dthomas3523 said boringly good. The scope is exceptionally good in all areas but lacks that “wow factor”. Everything is so well executed on the scope that no one aspect stands out. I suspect this is what you would want in an Alpha scope, no nonsense.

Reticle - the GEN2XR is a fairly dated reticle and I was a bit apprehensive about it from simply looking at the reticle card. After several range sessions I feel comfortable in my findings to post them.

First, I think it necessary to state my progression through reticles. I started with traditional reticles like Mil-Dot, TMR, MIL-R, SCR and moved towards Christmas tree like reticles in SKMR3, MR4, EBR7B. I found that I simply was not using the tree enough to justify having it obstruct so much of the view.

I was looking for a crossover between the 2 types or going back to a standard reticle like the MIL-C or MPCT1.

This led me to the GEN2XR, which is extremely intuitive and uncluttered. The line thickness is just right and does not make me want a center dot. I was originally worried I would miss the 0.2mil sub-tensions I had with other reticles. The 0.5mil hash and 1mil dot make the reticle quick and easy to use. I find it easier and quicker to navigate holding windage with less clutter. Instead of going to a 0.4mil hash, just hold a little off of the 1/2mil hash. Instead of holding 0.6-0.7mil, just bracket the target with the 0.5mil hash and mil-dot. Same units and same hold, different way of thinking about and executing the hold.

Eyebox – Boringly good on all magnifications as expected.

Diopter – very smooth and quick with locking ring. The locking ring doesn’t lock down all the way, so you can still move the diopter slightly if adjusting the Tenebraex cover.

Magnification Ring - Extremely tough, it definitely needs an aftermarket throw lever. The numbers are raised so you can see what magnification you are on from behind the scope.

Elevation - I zeroed on a 20moa base and I have in excess of 19mils of elevation up travel left. Elevation turret is 15mils per rev. Scope has 30mils of internal elevation and turrets are limited to 28mils.

Turrets - Bar none the best turrets I have ever used. The tactile feel is perfect. The spacing is perfect. The turrets are audible with hearing protection. The toolless zero is a really nice feature that works well.

My model came with the CCA “Click Count Assist”, same thing as S&B’s MTC turrets. Originally, I wasn’t crazy about them and wished I had got TT’s standard turrets. When it is mounted up and, on the rifle, the CCA is phenomenal. It is the only turrets I have confidence dialing elevation without looking at. No need to break cheek weld, just count the full mil heavy detents followed by whatever tenth you need. Because of the CCA these turrets are also exceptionally fast.

The CCA on full mils has a slight wiggle, CW and CCW once on the full mil value, you do not notice this during use but is an observation to be noted. I suspect this has to do with the detent design.

Tangent Theta Elevation video

Second Revolution Indicator – metal piece that protrudes when past 15mils. There is no binding or increased resistance when entering the second rev indicator range. It is exceptionally smooth and starts at 14.8mils and is fully deployed at 15mils. I do wish the indicator was a different color. The exterior is black and the interior is unfinished. A different color would make it easier to pick out.

Tangent Theta second rev indicator video

Zero Stop and Zeroing – Zero stop is set at 0.6mils below zero. With the toolless zero you have the luxury of taking that out and having a hard stop on zero. The toolless zero is awesome, unscrew the cap 3 turns, adjust turret back to set point and tighten back down hand tight. No need for a coin or screw driver. They are plenty tight just using your fingers.

Windage & Turret – Internal adjustment range is +/- 10mils. The turret is limited to +/- 6mils. The windage turret has a crisper feel and the CCA is tighter and more audible. I suspect this is to keep it from moving and I do not think I would like this feel on the elevation due to the resistance.

Tangent Theta Windage video

Parallax
    – Really good and echo’s my sentiments towards the ZP5 parallax. More or less, parallax free past 300 yards. The turret has no distance markings and is easy to turn. Only two settings really; inside 300yards (where parallax needs to be adjusted) and past 300 yards. Parallax from 50m to infinity. Parallax has the same knurling at the turrets.

Illumination – 11 settings alternating off in between each setting. The illumination takes your standard DL2032 3v lithium battery. The illumination is not daylight bright. The knob is easy to turn and has the same knurling as the turrets and parallax knob

Glass/Image – I am not going to touch on this too much as it is a TT and we know the glass is amazing. The resolution and clarity are unparalleled. I am constantly surprised by what I able to discern. The image is ungarnished with a superficial hue or tint. The field of view and depth of field are excellent. TT’s name was built on outstanding glass and it performs flawlessly in this department.

Form Factor – It is longer than the ZP5 but doesn’t appear or feel long. This might have to do with the larger turrets. The overall length is 16.73”. As stated the turrets are on the larger side, and the illumination protrudes furthest out. If the scope was going to get hung up on anything it would be around this area as the rest of the scope is sleek. The magnification only has the small tail that stands out. The scope weighs 40.56oz but seems much more robust than the weight indicates.

Fit/Finish - The machining and tolerances are superb. From purely an engineering standpoint the turrets are phenomenal as the sound a feel of them is truly next level. The Toolless Re-Zero, knurling, turrets, ect are excellently machined to surprising tolerances. The second rev indicator in and of itself is a magic trick. There is no wiggle or play in any of the fittings. The finish reminds me of that on the AMG but superior in scratch resistance and not as matte.

Warranty - The warranty is a forever warranty and transferable. It is handled by Armament Technology Inc. I have contact them several times with questions about the CCA turrets and they are always quick to respond.

Summary – The scope is mind-numbingly excellent in everything it does and has been refined to near-perfection. The turrets are the best I have used. The glass is phenomenal as expected out of TT. The eye box is massive and generous. The reticle is the epitome of refinement. The machining is outstanding for a riflescope. And the scope just looks good, there I said it.

Is the scope without fault? No. The recommendations I have for improvements are small: 1.) second rev indicator painted a different color 2.) daylight bright illumination 3.) throw lever included.

Last edited:
    Not gonna lie, as I was scrolling down I thought the view through the tire was a phone scope pic and had my jaw on the floor. Color pop on that HDR is no joke.

Great review, thanks for taking the time to put it together.I own the TT315m and love it.The 315 also has a very tight mag lever.i wish they would have made it a little smoother.

Reactions: blbennett1288
    @MNTC, great info on the CCA/MTC, after feeling how amazing MTC is on the new Schmidt DT II+ turrets, I'd love to see Tangent bring this feature back. Seeing what you sold this scope for in 2019 blb makes me wish I had a time machine :D

I haven't ever had the opportunity to run the CCA turret on the TT but I did inquire about doing a run of them last week. I'm waiting on quantities required and then will order them in, if the interest in there. Personally I would put them on many rigs as I love the MTC on my Schmidts.