• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent theta potential issue, opinions needed.

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
So a few weeks ago I purchased my first TT, mechanically and ergonomically it’s superb but I seem to have some optical issues, fanboys please don’t attack just yet as I think it’s possibly user error on my part and scope might not be set up properly yet. Figured I can get feedback from current or former users that have might have experienced the same.

The truth is that am quite impatient but still I feel like I set up my ocular properly, look at a bright clean area (I used the sky) set parallax to max and adjust ocular in small increments not looking at reticle while doing so and taking a look at reticle clarity after adjustment, I stayed at 20x for this because at that magnification I can see most of the reticle. I feel like I got the reticle as clear as possible, if anyone has a better or different method to set ocular please share.

So I understand that the parallax numbers are just for reference in other scopes but coming from scopes with said numbers it’s weird to be without them, I find that on my ZCO527 those numbers are on point, that being said the parallax on the TT seems off to me, to get a truly parallax free adjustment at just 100 yds the parallax knob is past it’s midway point from there out to 1353 yds (farthest target available) it’s just a lil further but not max and not close to infinity. I mean is this even a problem? Please school me on this it just seems not normal to me.

But to the bigger problem, when I Iook trough both the ZCO and TT objects on the TT seems smaller, not the FOV as I understand it FOV is the area size you can see, please correct me if am wrong, that’s comparable to the ZCO what I see is that the targets themselves or other objects are smaller compared to the ZCO at the same mag e.g. when I look at a 24” plate at 1,100 yards with both scopes at 20x or higher through the TT that target looks much smaller and to be honest not as clear. This is true with closer targets as well.

So I don’t know like I said am looking for opinions on this, I don’t necessarily think there’s anything wrong with the scope not saying that there couldn’t be either I just don’t know. This isn’t a ZCO vs TT post but I can say that I never had adjustment or set up issues with my ZCO or any other scope other than a Steiner TX5i a while back.

Thanks for the feedback!

So a few weeks ago I purchased my first TT, mechanically and ergonomically it’s superb but I seem to have some optical issues, fanboys please don’t attack just yet as I think it’s possibly user error on my part and scope might not be set up properly yet. Figured I can get feedback from current or former users that have might have experienced the same.

The truth is that am quite impatient but still I feel like I set up my ocular properly, look at a bright clean area (I used the sky) set parallax to max and adjust ocular in small increments not looking at reticle while doing so and taking a look at reticle clarity after adjustment, I stayed at 20x for this because at that magnification I can see most of the reticle. I feel like I got the reticle as clear as possible, if anyone has a better or different method to set ocular please share.

So I understand that the parallax numbers are just for reference in other scopes but coming from scopes with said numbers it’s weird to be without them, I find that on my ZCO527 those numbers are on point, that being said the parallax on the TT seems off to me, to get a truly parallax free adjustment at just 100 yds the parallax knob is past it’s midway point from there out to 1353 yds (farthest target available) it’s just a lil further but not max and not close to infinity. I mean is this even a problem? Please school me on this it just seems not normal to me.

But to the bigger problem, when I Iook trough both the ZCO and TT objects on the TT seems smaller, not the FOV as I understand it FOV is the area size you can see, please correct me if am wrong, that’s comparable to the ZCO what I see is that the targets themselves or other objects are smaller compared to the ZCO at the same mag e.g. when I look at a 24” plate at 1,100 yards with both scopes at 20x or higher through the TT that target looks much smaller and to be honest not as clear. This is true with closer targets as well.

So I don’t know like I said am looking for opinions on this, I don’t necessarily think there’s anything wrong with the scope not saying that there couldn’t be either I just don’t know. This isn’t a ZCO vs TT post but I can say that I never had adjustment or set up issues with my ZCO or any other scope other than a Steiner TX5i a while back.

Thanks for the feedback!
In regards to the image looking bigger on the ZCO. That’s the design of the ZCO eyepiece. It’s a benefit of the scope that other scopes don’t enjoy. I easily shoot my ZCO 10-15x in matches because the image is large. However with my TT I have to be closer to 20X to get the same image size feeling. That being said, you should find your TT has more FOV. Not by a lot.

As for your diopter, that seems like good job setting it.

In regards to the image looking bigger on the ZCO. That’s the design of the ZCO eyepiece. It’s a benefit of the scope that other scopes don’t enjoy. I easily shoot my ZCO 10-15x in matches because the image is large. However with my TT I have to be closer to 20X to get the same image size feeling. That being said, you should find your TT has more FOV. Not by a lot.

Appreciate this, am not an optical expert so I was like wtf but that is good info to have. I still love the scope and not knocking on it I just want t to make sure am not crazy.

Reactions: ZG47A
Yup. I mention this a few times in my reviews comparing these 2 scopes. It’s on my YouTube if you want to look it up. Essentially with a ZCO, it’s like watching a movie in theaters and your 32” TV at home. You don’t get more movie on the sides (FOV) but the picture/movie looks much larger.

I make a small mark on my parallax with a gold sharpie for 100 yards, so I zero at the same place every time time. I also put another small mark where I can basically run a match from like 350-1000 on the parallax knob. Typically that one mark will get me by unless there is heavy mirage or its a long range only stage, then I typically run the parallax closer to infinity. I have had both ZCO and TT and I never noticed that but it 100% may be true. Both are fine optics in my opinion and are at the top of the food chain so to speak. I set my diopter exactly the same as you, sounds like you were spot on doing so.

The eyepiece design making the image look bigger is also a very nice feature that sets the ZCO apart from many in its class :)

parallax on the TT seems off to me, to get a truly parallax free adjustment at just 100 yds the parallax knob is past it’s midway point
Are you nearsighted at all? Wear glasses but shoot without them?

I ask because I was near sighted (let's hear it for cataract surgery...yeah!!) but could compensate with adjustment of the scope's diopter and elected to do so. As a result, distance markings on the parallax adjustment were well off.

Had the cataract surgery, restored me to 20/20 (its fucking awesome), and after I readjusted my diopters, parallax indications were better aligned....but tbh, I rarely look at them. After the diopter is properly adjusted (and I leave it there), I set parallax for clarity of the target then do the little wiggle my head just a bit and make sure target and reticle stay aligned.

Best of luck

Are you nearsighted at all? Wear glasses but shoot without them?

I ask because I was near sighted (let's hear it for cataract surgery...yeah!!) but could compensate with adjustment of the scope's diopter and elected to do so. As a result, distance markings on the parallax adjustment were well off.

Had the cataract surgery, restored me to 20/20 (its fucking awesome), and after I readjusted my diopters, parallax indications were better aligned....but tbh, I rarely look at them. After the diopter is properly adjusted (and I leave it there), I set parallax for clarity of the target then do the little wiggle my head just a bit and make sure target and reticle stay aligned.

Best of luck
Yes I am but I wear my glasses while shooting and it sucks, been thinking about getting contacts just to shoot.

Reactions: Baron23
Yes I am but I wear my glasses while shooting and it sucks, been thinking about getting contacts just to shoot.
Go get your eyes lasered. I had glasses for 20 years. Lasering my eyes is the best money I have spent. You wont believe how much better you see your whole life. Road signs, writing on anything, posters. Also makes shooting way better.

Took about 2-3 months for my eyes to heal 100 percent. And start really noticing the changes daily.

I have a few scopes with numbered parallax. Honestly, they are all off. Some under, some over but enough that I cannot keep track. So I did what someone else above did.

Set my diopter, lock that shit down short of welding it, get my zero at 100 and mark parallax at 100. I use really runny whiteout (thicker ones peel clean off).

One dot 100m. Two dots 300m. Three dots 600m. Long line 1000m. I just have to move it down a touch when shooting yards.

Reactions: Islas82
a-hybrid-hen-giving-the-impression-of-being-headless-as-it-preens-CPD86M.jpg

Don't run around like this call the company and get your problem fixed maybe or at least give them the chance to screw with you . Either way best of luck .

• Haha
Reactions: Islas82
a-hybrid-hen-giving-the-impression-of-being-headless-as-it-preens-CPD86M.jpg

Don't run around like this call the company and get your problem fixed maybe or at least give them the chance to screw with you . Either way best of luck .
There’s always one of you around isn’t there, took a while. I asked for opinions, if the “problem” was obvious I would of contacted them long ago. Had a conversation with the distributor this morning and we came to the conclusion as all the people that have replied here have that there isn’t one and the TT is just a different optic that I need to spend more time with and get used to coming from ZCO.

You adjusted the ocular incorrectly. Wait till it’s dark or go into a dark room and put your scope mag on minimum. Turn on your illumination and set it to something where you can see the hash marks but not too bright. Adjust the diopter until the reticle is crisp. Now set the mag to 20x and double check the reticle focus. Should be crisp. If you set the reticle focus at high magnification you may have an out of focus reticle at low magnification.

Then test out the scope and you’ll be shocked how awesome the glass is.

The more I use it the more I get used to it. The parallax adjustment is great, no matter the distance you just turn that knob until reticle and target are in focus and is dead on. Picture quality and turrets are great.

Interesting, good info. Both of these optics serve me well.

It has become easier to shoot with glasses since I switched to a higher mount/rings.
It helps that I also wear aviator (code for big coverage old people) glasses with sufficient cheek bone clearance.

I used to wonder why my POI changes if I got up, looked through my spotter, reweld and shoot. Turns out, my glasses moved.