• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent Theta Review

I love reading folks 'opinion' on optics, or any other topic. I've noticed, regardless of what site I've been on, Ducati/motorcycle site, archery, piano, etc.....if there are humans involved, someone is gonna get butt-hurt at someone saying X about Z. Get over it. The thread, posted by Glassaholic (I think), testing all the alpha scopes, dated 2017, was the only reason I ordered a Vortex HD II the end of last year. I canceled that order and went with the HD III.....and at LE price, its a steal. THANK YOU Scott at Liberty Optics!!!! A buddy, who is a NF fanboy, absolutely roasted me for months about ordering a Vortex. When he looked through it a few weeks ago, the only thing he said, 'Man, that looks good.' I do not have the luxury of looking through the alpha scopes, so I will go with what I read, on honest evaluations + I'm NOT spending $5K on a scope.

Reactions: Stoweit
I love reading folks 'opinion' on optics, or any other topic. I've noticed, regardless of what site I've been on, Ducati/motorcycle site, archery, piano, etc.....if there are humans involved, someone is gonna get butt-hurt at someone saying X about Z. Get over it. The thread, posted by Glassaholic (I think), testing all the alpha scopes, dated 2017, was the only reason I ordered a Vortex HD II the end of last year. I canceled that order and went with the HD III.....and at LE price, its a steal. THANK YOU Scott at Liberty Optics!!!! A buddy, who is a NF fanboy, absolutely roasted me for months about ordering a Vortex. When he looked through it a few weeks ago, the only thing he said, 'Man, that looks good.' I do not have the luxury of looking through the alpha scopes, so I will go with what I read, on honest evaluations + I'm NOT spending $5K on a scope.
Yeah, it’s the “they called your baby ugly” reaction. Every time, no matter the product

👀👀👀👀

Attachments

• DD219445-1685-4978-976A-026CC78C61F2.jpeg
    DD219445-1685-4978-976A-026CC78C61F2.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 8EE759D6-EF4D-4DEA-BF38-E7B09E3774E7.jpeg
    8EE759D6-EF4D-4DEA-BF38-E7B09E3774E7.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 276
Opposite experience here, had ZCO 5-27 mpct2 liked it except reticle was too thick. Changed to tt 5-25 gen3xr and am happy. I tend to run at 15x or more when shooting, lower than that I use primarily to find targets so fine reticle isn’t a problem.

Opposite experience here, had ZCO 5-27 mpct2 liked it except reticle was too thick. Changed to tt 5-25 gen3xr and am happy. I tend to run at 15x or more when shooting, lower than that I use primarily to find targets so fine reticle isn’t a problem.
If I only intended to use the top half of the magnification range, I would have been much happier with the reticle. I think the Gen 3 XR reticle would be great in a 8-40 scope. I'd still like to see the markings and digits a bit bolder even in that application.

I just think anyone who can afford these things is allowed to have their own opinion about them.

Precision rifle isn't my only expensive hobby, and while I do better than most, I'm not Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos... so if I spend $5k all on one single "toy", it better be worth it to me.

Thankfully I've managed to make arrangements here and there to "kick the tires" on many of these pricey alpha-tier scopes that get discussed fervently around here, and I've had to make some actual phone calls and speak to folks and even part with a little restocking fee cash for the privilege. (I don't just habitually order shit just to send it back, I contact the sellers and let them know I want to take a look and find the best way to do that without screwing anyone or getting stuck with a high-dollar item I don't want.)

In the end, for me, yeah, some of the alpha-tier glass is pretty nice... but for my $5k I'd still rather have a Razor and a vintage Fender Strat rather than a TT, but that's just like my opinion man lol. YMMV.

Meh. I had the opposite experience. It's all personal preference. Tried every comparable scope out there, including ZCO and ATACR. Stuck with TT. And the locking ring isn't plastic. Does the diopter rotate if you don't set it properly? Yeah. That part is a bit of a pain. Just hold the ocular and then tighten the METAL ring (it's not plastic). Once set, it doesn't move. Been shooting with TT for 8 successful years.

I had the ATACR for about a week before I returned it. Didn't like it at all. Didn't like how the ocular rotates with magnification change. Didn't like the translating turrets (I prefer non-translating on the TT). Didn't think the glass was as good as TT. And there were a few other things I'm forgetting since it was a few years ago.

My point isn't to discredit OP's opinion. Just to reiterate that we all have 'em and just use whatever scope you like. It's no big deal if someone else shoots with something else. I don't have problems with the reticle size, but I'm using the Gen 2, not Gen 3 so I can't comment on that. And I rarely shoot below 15x anyway. I'll back down the mag to acquire a target and look around, but if I'm shooting at distance (800-1200 yards), I'm at 25x. So reticle being too small isn't an issue for me. Markings on turrets are sized fine for my eyes.

Last edited:
I can quantify it: great glass (IMO, I have 20/12 vision in my shooting eye as well as perfect color vision), flawless tracking, proven robust construction, great reticle selection, ideal parallax feel and markings, excellent windage and elevation markings, terrific Mil/Leo pricing program, great customer service, and very responsive to the military and long range shooting communities wants and needs.

Thanks for your review.

Reactions: BreisV
You can count on it.
Ditto on your impressions of the ZCO. I have 20/15 vision and perfect color perception as well and am on the fence as to what to go with to replace my very old Mark 5. Seeing well through the mirage at 600 and beyond is my primary limitation right now.

There is another topic here which might be interesting to explore which is exceptional vision vs average and how optics compensate for the latter vs former where great eyes compensate for optics. I can’t wear most sunglasses as they have distortions I can see.

Ditto on your impressions of the ZCO. I have 20/15 vision and perfect color perception as well and am on the fence as to what to go with to replace my very old Mark 5. Seeing well through the mirage at 600 and beyond is my primary limitation right now.

There is another topic here which might be interesting to explore which is exceptional vision vs average and how optics compensate for the latter vs former where great eyes compensate for optics. I can’t wear most sunglasses as they have distortions I can see.

It doesn't bother me too much, but same. All my sunglasses and ski/snowboard goggles have distortions. If you move your head around and up/down, you can see little waves and distortions. Kind of boggles my mind why a $400 goggle or $200 pair of sunglasses isn't perfect.

The TT has to be one of my favorite scopes. I have it with the H59 reticle and it has never disappointed me. It’s mounted to a Cadex Kraken in 6.5cm. Repeatable all day Long at 1000yd at less than .5 MOA.
The Hendsolt 3.5x26 is another amazing piece of equipment, just wish it had another reticle option, like a Horus.
This is another 1000 yd .5 MOA (set up on an AI asr).
All the high end glass we now have out there is amazing, choosing between the Heldsolt, TT, S&B etc is like splitting hairs.

I personally think of it is prersonal preference once price is removed from the equation.
I have Kahles and S&B on more riffles than any other brand, I don’t think I’d buy another at the current prices though. Todays prices on Kahles and S&B have gotten ridiculous.

This all too funny. I have 24 year as a professional photographer. It the same in the photography world, I have cheap $10 lens and $15K lens. It all how you used them and who is using them. I have seen guys with $1000 photo equipment out shoot guys with $10K camera equipment. It comes down to the shooter. Same here, I have seen guys with Ruger and cheap Vortex out shot the guy with the fancy AI and ZCO . The TT and ZCO are the new boys on the block, they are great products and it what the new generation millennial weekend shooter wants; the latest and greatest. Not saying the old stuff can't compete and get the job done, they sure can as proven in competition and war for decades. They all work they all break and nothing is perfect and yes sometimes service is good and sometimes not. It all comes down to the shooter. I have seen the TT and ZCO and they make a nice product but grossly over priced like a Bentley or Rolls Royce but not needed to be successful. I like practical and value for my money. We don't need status symbol. Shoot what you can afford and what you like don't worry about the other guys. While he's bragging about is his/her new expensive toy get your shooting done and out shoot them. That's how I shut them up, lets see how well you can use that fancy scope. Its all about the SHOOTER not the equipment. LOL PEW PEW

Last edited: