• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tangent Theta Scope Selection

SouthSurrey45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
Sunshine Coast BC
Hello everyone…for my second post on here lol. I was hoping for some discussion on reticle and scope selection for a TT.

I’ve decided I’d like a TT but can’t quite decide 3-15 or 5-25 and also wanted some reticle feedback. I’ve seen some complaints about the gen 3 xr being a bit too fine at low power.

My last scope was a S&B 3-12 with the P4L reticle which I found ok but I think I’d like something with a bit more information. Coming from using some lower end optics the S&B was really nice.

Now onto what I have and what my plans may be for the scope etc.

• What is the platform for the scope? Bolt
  • What cartridge are you shooting? Switch barrel .308 / 6.5cm
  • What is your intended use for the scope? PRS maybe, Benchrest yes, Hunting maybe, Target yes, Steel yes
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
  • Daylight, Lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 300 yds at the range, 300 - 600 in da woods 600 - 1000 on certain occasions
Thanks in advance

5-25 no doubt. For PRS, benchrest, etc you’ll want the 5-25. If the budget allows you could wait until the 7-35 as well. Should be a good scope. But the 5-25 is proven and available.

Agreed, I think the 5-25 will still be more PRS oriented. But it will be interesting how the 7-35 performs at the typical magnification ranges used for PRS.

When it comes to PRS listen to covertnoob, he knows his stuff. The TT 5-25 is the preferred optic for PRS shooters who choose TT. Will the 7-35 be “better” than the 5-25 remains to be seen; however, it does focus closer but I’m more curious if it’s more forgiving with DOF, parallax and eyebox - that’s where I can see this scope excelling; if it’s the same as the 5-25 I don’t see the extra 10x on top making a huge difference because FOV is your friend in dynamic shooting sports and mags above 20x at distance in heavy mirage get unfriendly really quick.

Regarding the Gen3 XR what you’ve read about the reticle being too thin pertain to the 3-15, at 3x it is too thin to be usable in many environments but the 5-25 does not suffer from this dilemma at least not to the level of the 3-15.

Reactions: SouthSurrey45
I don’t shoot PRS but I get plenty of feedback, training and tips from many PRS shooters including my co-worker Dan Bertocchini who just got second place against many strong shooters after having food poisoning last weekend at SLO. Hence the picture 🤣🤣🤣

FB73FE92-9301-46D3-87E6-4CD78A37F8D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Completely forgot about the 7-35. I don’t think I’ll need that kind of magnification though. The odds of me doing PRS are extremely slim. That scope does sound pretty good so far though.

I must have read the Gen 3xr being too thin in a 3-15 thread. I thought it was a nice looking reticle for sure. I’d love to try out an H59 too.

Has anyone used the AIF turrets ? I don’t think I’d need that but curious on feedback.

Completely forgot about the 7-35. I don’t think I’ll need that kind of magnification though. The odds of me doing PRS are extremely slim. That scope does sound pretty good so far though.

I must have read the Gen 3xr being too thin in a 3-15 thread. I thought it was a nice looking reticle for sure. I’d love to try out an H59 too.

Has anyone used the AIF turrets ? I don’t think I’d need that but curious on feedback.
I had a TT with the H59 and much prefer my Gen3XR. In the 5-25 it’s great. I’d suggest the Gen3XR Fine if doing benchrest just to get a little finer center dot. Honestly I don’t really think the TT turrets needed a locking mechanism and to me would be more trouble than their worth. Just my opinion

Reactions: SouthSurrey45