• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tango Down Bipods?

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
Any of you guys that own or have used one have any input on it? I currently have an Atlas on my AICS and I'm not really a big fan of it, lol. I've used a few Harris bipods and there fine, but there just to fugly on the front of my gun
smile.gif

Any input is appreciated
Jake

Re: Tango Down Bipods?

Well since the Atlas is damn near considered the end all be all bipod on this site, you'll probably have to specify what you don't like about it for anyone to be able to recommend something different.

If you're just looking for someone to say "Go ahead and get the TangoDown" I think I just did.

let me get it straight you actualy like a harris more than an atlas? wow that is a first there is no accounting for taste get whatever floats your boat.

Jekerz ,

I have many Harris , a couple of Atlas , one TangoDown , one GG&G , a couple of Parker Hale and one VLTOR/TD bipods , let me understand what you do not like in the Atlas and I'll tell you if any of the others 'll fit your needs .

PP out

I love the looks of the Atlas, its nice a sturdy but I absolutely despise the ball joint on the top, just makes the entire thing seems sloppy to me. As I said before, the Harris is nice, but its just God awful ugly, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the looks of the Atlas, its nice a sturdy but I absolutely despise the ball joint on the top, just makes the entire thing seems sloppy to me.</div></div>
Have you tried <span style="font-style: italic">tightening</span> the ball joint?
crazy.gif

Once you preload the Atlas (even with the knob loose), it shouldn't be sloppy at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the looks of the Atlas, its nice a sturdy but I absolutely despise the ball joint on the top, just makes the entire thing seems sloppy to me.</div></div>
Have you tried <span style="font-style: italic">tightening</span> the ball joint?
crazy.gif

Once you preload the Atlas (even with the knob loose), it shouldn't be sloppy at all. </div></div>

lol, yes its as tight as I can get it without a pair of pliers. You can sit the gun on the ground, and "load" the bipod and feel it tilt forward as you load it, pick the gun back up and the entire thing is at an angle, it happens no matter how tight the thing is.

IDK maybe I just need to get it over it and use it... paid like $300 for it, lol

Jake

Jake,
I have an Tango Down bipod in 99% condition that I would be more than happy to trade for your Atlas. Let me know.

Jakerz, just so I'm clear here, you say you can tighten the knob making the pan/cant tight, right?

So if I'm understanding you correctly, what bothers you is that when you load the rifle, then pick it up the legs are angled back? That is what bothers you, how it looks with the legs deployed, pre-loaded and not shot from but rather picked up?

I admit, to have never considered that aspect of the Atlas design before.

Back on topic.... Yes, I have a tango down on my Sig 556, and I like it. It's pretty sturdy for the money, and folds up nice.

Why are they so dang expensive compared to other bipods....?

The Tango Down or the Vltor version are more for use on an SPR type rig. I would NOT reccomend it for an AI or any build in an AICS as there is considerable flex in the legs when loaded and frankly I just dont see how they would hold up for too long.

The TD is also very slow to deploy in regards to extending the legs for additional height.

so we're now focusing on the form over the function? maybe LL should've called this website <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #33CC00">SniperArt.com</span></span> lol

I like the atlas. I hear of some trouble here and there but are great bipods.As for the harris I have never heard of looks being more important than function on a tactical rifle. I might need to focus on that for my next rifle.

Yes Kasey, that is correct. When I load the bipod is tilts back, giving me the false idea that its flexing and that bothered me. I'm not getting rid of the Atlas and I'm not disappointed in my purchase at all, I was just asking about the Tango Down one because it looked like a nice setup, but I was afraid of the composite legs flexing to much.

As for as "form over function" I use my rifle to punch holes in paper, and I've never had the paper shoot back, to date. So yes, form is important to me, but function always takes the upper hand in my book.

Thanks for the info guys, think I'm sticking with my Atlas.
Jake

I have a Tango Down Bi-Pod on my SPR setup that I have used for four years now and it is pretty kick ass for that platform.

bipod.jpg

The Pro's of the system are:
It is quick to deploy / adjust.
Previous poster should note that all you have to do to extend the legs is pull them.
(The Leg adjustments only lock one way.)
The traversing feature is smooth and has just the right amount of tension.
The height of the bipod is perfect for an AR running 30 round mags on level terrain.
The feet are about as effective as "Pod-Claws".
When folded, the bi-pod is designed to flow smoothly into the forestock.
It is a very robust setup that is designed for hard use.
(Legs are made of a proprietary glass-reinforced nylon & carbon-fiber reinforced nylon.)
No edges to get snagged on.

The Cons of the system are:
It is pricey...
The use of lights and lasers can be hindered.
The legs do have some flex in them by design.

Bottom line, it is designed around an AR type platform and is best suited for that.
Can it be used on other things, absolutely.
But it's design is not fully realized that way.

Military Morons web site has an excellent write up on it.
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access.html

netranger6, sorry to go off topic but looking for clarification/verification from the OP on the subject matter the OP introduced.

RobertB, I too have heard of trouble with the Atlas thus my interest and participation in this thread. Sometimes it results in a better product (Hellbender washer stack) other times, it's a individuals personal likes/dislikes which makes it harder to address.

Jakerz, thanks for the confirmation, I do hope your actual shooting experience off the Atlas over-rides the appearance.

Just my opinion, but the Tango Down seems difficult to deploy. It a small thing but the recessed buttons aren't the easiest thing to quickly open. IMO, the harris with the notched legs and Atlas are far superior no matter which rifle they go on. I use the TD side mount bipod on my son's 22 m&p.

Used them on an SR-25 in the sand, took them off and now they are in a drawer somewhere in my house...

Thanks for all the info guys, Im sticking with the Atlas for now, wonder if I can order the upper part separate to mount it to a picatinny rail?

Jake