• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing tanned hides

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
I have 7 or 8 coyote hides I got this season. I want to get them fleshed and tanned so I can start making things with them.

Who would you guys use? What's a fair going rate? I have seen (googled) posted anywhere from $15 to $120 per hide.

Anywhere in Southern California flesh and tan hides?

Anyone? Who tans in California? would be willing to ship out of state too. Looking for recommendations...

I don't know any on your side of the country but.....look up "tanning hides with brains". It is a very simple diy process and leaves the hides very soft and supple. The process has been around since when the Indians were the only ones roaming in the USA.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Id love to do it myself but the misses would kill me if I did that at the house. She barely tolerates me skinning them.....not at the house...i mean she just barely tolerates me doing it full stop.

When I was stationed out there. I used trophy room Taxidemy in riverside. He did an elk, bear, and a couple of ducks for me at a pretty good price compared to the other shops.

But a coyote is not that hard to do at home. Skin it out
Clamp it to a 2x6
Break out the pressure washer (go at an 45 angle not 90) be careful around the face.
Put the hides in salt and tan mixture for 3-5 days (I buy mine from Ohio , McKinze, or other taxidermy supply)
Stretch it and let it dry.

Cost for everything would be around $40 bucks if you have a pressure washer $200 or less if you don’t.

Bear was about 6 months
Ducks was about 3 months
I shot the elk in Colorado and called him from the side of the mountain. Letting him know I was being stationed in North Carolina in 6 weeks. He told me to bring it in. I had it in my truck for the cross country trip.

If you do it yourself, the hard part is breaking the hide or making it soft. Coyotes dont have a real thick hide so it’s not terrible, but it’s still a pain in the ass. There are a few tanneries that you can ship them to yourself. Moyles is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but if you searched I’m sure the others would pop up

Some places allow you to send in frozen unfleshed hides but some want them to be fleshed and dried

Don’t most places want them fleshed before you send them in to be tanned?
Did you just skin the yotes and freeze them?
Yup skinned them in the field and then took them home and froze them....I dont really have a way to do much else tanning wise. The misses is pretty tolerant of most things like me storing dead yote skins in the freezer but I will be pushing my luck with fleshing and tanning them here at the house.

Yup skinned them in the field and then took them home and froze them....I dont really have a way to do much else tanning wise. The misses is pretty tolerant of most things like me storing dead yote skins in the freezer but I will be pushing my luck with fleshing and tanning them here at the house.
I’ve done squirrel when I was a kid. I just got done building a 17rem ar for coyotes but didn’t get finished early enough this season. If you can wait till winter I’ll do em for ya for the practice. How good of a skin job did ya do? How’d the face come out?

If you do it yourself, the hard part is breaking the hide or making it soft. Coyotes dont have a real thick hide so it’s not terrible, but it’s still a pain in the ass. There are a few tanneries that you can ship them to yourself. Moyles is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but if you searched I’m sure the others would pop up

Moyles looks good! I'll give them a call....

We used to do lambskins ourselves and its not too hard, else look up any taxidermist. I used Double Cut Taxidermy in Colville, WA to do my fallow head and hide - took a couple years, but the prices was by far the best i have seen and so was the work.

Hahaha lucky you. I am in LA....if I have 7 coyote hides....should I ship em or drive em?

I'd probably give them a call and ask them what they would like you to do. For me, they have been good people to work with.

Be sure to stitch up any holes before sending them in to be tanned or they may become bigger.

Shoot.....there may be a few....

I wish there was someone near me in Los Angeles that could teach me how to do it. I am the first one in my family to hunt so no one understands or knows what I am going on about.