• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tape Bedding a RPRF

hpt396

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Wife got me a RPRF for my bday last month and I was so excited!...until I shot it. Best groups were .9s with mid Eley/Lapua. Shaw barrel got me into the .6s. Google revealed the aluminum tape bedding mod, so I tried it and got into the .5s with an occasional high .4. All at 50 yds. It was clearly an effective mod, so my question is why did it work? I understand why epoxy bedding works on my centerfire rifles, but not a simple piece of tape. Can y'all please enlighten me? Thanks.

It's basically a ghetto version of bedding. The tape compresses where everything is tight and slightly fills the voids where things aren't. Basically just stabilizes and supports the actions like bedding would but not as solidly. So you get some of the benefits for way less effort.

Soft and maluable. Exactly as @Mark_Dorman said. Fills voids, increases contact patch.

I did the same to fix someones rifle in a competition a few years ago on his freshly built PRS rig in a composite stock. Bedding was so bad i put alfoil tape on the recoil lug, and groups shrank from 1moa to the low 0.6s.. everyone was shocked.. was a "reputible" 'smith in Aussieland.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I've seen people pressure bed using a business card on a center fire rifle and have good results.

Don't ask what decade this happened, but we did have electricity and running water.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark_Dorman