• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tape for AR sling tail

DirtyRod

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
I've searched, googled, etc and can't seem to find and answer.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of tape folks use to secure the tail on the rifle sling so it doesn't slip. Using a 2 point sling and had my AR hit the ground during a handgun transition when the sling slipped out of the buckle. I tried duct tape in my last class but when the barrel got really hot the tape/glue melted when it contacted the barrel and I had to scrape it off the barrel which was a pain.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Tape for AR sling tail

Tape is a patch you can expect to fail on a regular basis. Replace the weak link with a better sling. My Vicker's sling has multiple retention points on each end, and it has never even thought of coming loose while carrying it all day, every day, for months on end. I also hear great reviews on the VTAC sling.

If you're going to stick with your current sling, don't tape it, sew it with a heavy duty canvas needle and thread.

Thanx. Never thought of sewing it and, it's thick, so I would definitely need a serious needle and thread. Good point on having multiple retention points so I'll look in the box and see what I have. If not, I'll look into a better sling.

in every town there is a little old lady with a sewing machine. mine is at the local laundry mat. she owns the place and does alterations as well. i have had her sew up so much gear, she dont even blink anymore when i walk in with stuff, lol. a few $$ and you are good to go. and if sewing is to permanent, you can melt a hole in the webbing and use two chicago screws

CHICAGOSCREWS_550.jpg

chicago screws come apart. better than a rivet if you ever need to take that apart. not that a rivet would be a big deal at home. but in the field, chicago screws rock. just get steel ones

Chicago screws and Blue Loctite to keep them together until you want them to come apart. If you like your gear pretty, that is no scratches,double check where that sling lays and how the metal screws are oriented.