• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors tape on a brake

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
If a person wrapped tape around a muzzle brake to cut down on blast when hunting, did they manufacture a suppressor?

How do the brakes that can be closed fare in this?

I was just noticing how much some brakes and monolithic cans are similar.

Re: tape on a brake

no a muzzle break amplifies and a supressor reduces so adding on tape to a muzzle break you would just end up with pieces of tape everywhere and i doubt it would reduce noise

No...and you won't have made a damn bit of difference in the blast/noise that the brake creates either by just taping over the ports in the brake (the blast/gas will just blow the tape off/apart). But hey...go for it and be sure to make a vid you can post on youtube!!
wink.gif

If you want to cut down on the noise/muzzle blast/etc. created by the muzzle brake, then you need to a) remove the muzzle brake and install a thread protector when hunting with the rifle; or 2) get a suppressor and hunt in a state that allows you to use it while hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a person wrapped tape around a muzzle brake to cut down on blast when hunting, did they manufacture a suppressor?

I was just noticing how much some brakes and monolithic cans are similar.</div></div>

I do this, but only to keep water, snow, dirt out.

I agree with the above advice. tape is great for keeping debris out of the barrel. as far as noise reduction , even a 22 lr has enough pressure to blow through several layers of 100 mph tape wrapped around a muzzle brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a person wrapped tape around a muzzle brake to cut down on blast when hunting, did they manufacture a suppressor?

I was just noticing how much some brakes and monolithic cans are similar.</div></div>

I do this, but only to keep water, snow, dirt out. </div></div>

Probably be easier to clean up if you just use an extra small condom.......

it has been published in the past....somewhere, that just a piece of tape OVER the business end of a muzzle will distort the poa/poi by a fair schwack......i'm just sayin

? a carbon fiber taped at 2ft long and 1/2" thick may be a suppressor. But some tape over the muzzle brake holes is just going to blast off anyway.