• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tapered base for a Rem 541

dgwelsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Chestertown, MD
Is anyone here using a tapered base for a Remington 541. Currently my rifle is zeroed at 50yds which is also my max elevation. I have a ton of down but no more up and am thinking that an elevated base would get me where I need to be.
thanks in advance
dgwelsh

Re: Tapered base for a Rem 541

You either have the wrong bases or a defective scope. Have you tried a different scope or mounts?

I am in the process of trying a different scope, a VX 3, but the people who ordered and installed the bases and rings did not instill confidence in me. The scope currently on the rifle is a Falcon Merlin 10x42T and till now i have had no problems. (But that was inside 50yds.)

my 541t with weaver windage-adjustable rings only makes 25yds on its own. It is very common with the 541/581's

for some reason the 541/581 have issues with that. I was talking to some silhouette-types this weekend and they were all too familiar with it. Marvin Pearson makes a tapered base for the 541 but he has to have your action to measure for it because there were several different options that remington came out with. crazy I know.

So I put on the Vx3 4.5x14 just to see if I could learn anything. Well I had plenty of upward adjustment, 3 full rotations of the elevation dial. = to about 18-24" at 50 yds. So, and correct me if I am wrong, but its not the base or rings but a problem with the Falcon scope. A problem that can be corrected by adding elevation to either the base or the rings.

Edgerat, any idea of the price of the base? Or an email address?

some scopes have less elevation in them than others. Here is a pic of my 504 with marv's base and rings on it. Those are 1" rings which are actually too low for me for silhouette.

backup.jpg