• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target backers

Russ257

???
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I am in charge of range maintenance at my local club. We are currently using homesote. While it works it is about 18-20 dollars per sheet and if we get really heavy rains it falls apart.What are other clubs using? Is there anything better out there. People shooting shotguns really tear it up is there anything different we could use for that?

Re: Target backers

Somebody was telling me the other day they were using scrap conveyor belt material.

If you know anyone who works at an airport, the "rubber" material from the luggage conveyors gets replaced fairly frequently, and they are usually glad for somebody to take it away...

Conveyor belts from coal mine applications work incredibly well as target backing...awesome stuff especially if you can get it "donated"!!
wink.gif

I don't know if you can buy it from somewhere commercially or find it on the market anywhere, but living in Lancaster, PA...you should be able to find someone in the trade local to you who can either "donate" it or sell it to you.

couple other options: chicken wire and clothes pins, construction safety fence, have members collect all the political yard signs they can find (after the election, do not want to upset the politicians)(also check with your local sign shop they often have over runs or incorrect signs for free or cheap) have them at the firing line so shooters can put them out as you need them, take up a collection for some ballistic steel gongs, really want to get thrifty find a local retailer that is friendly and get some of their discarded cardboard (appliance places often have the bigger pieces. Just some ideas let us know what you come up with it may benefit others. Good luck

Danel

Agree with PLATYPUS on the corrugated plastic sign material. Been using that stuff for several years and works great! I attach it to 2x2 firring strips with drywall screws and washers - it stays attached and won't pull loose. Staples hold very well.

Old conveyor material works real good. Local range has it on only the one range. Don't know if they didn't get much or what. We were shooting pistols at it and it almost was self healing, barely looked touched.

we use old office cubicle walls, wood frames inside, and fabric material make it easy to staple too. Also local Conservation Dept range uses the rubber but after a summer in humid midwest they are all warped and wanting to roll up and its hard as hell to staple to.....when its not flat I am saying

Although not as cheep (free!) as old conveyor belt, stable matting is excellent. This is a pad of thick spongy rugger that horses stand on. One can get it at Tractor Supply, race tracks, tack shops (do not let any females of your acquaintance get near horses).

I bought some foam insulation from Lowe's. It's 4x8 sheet. Cuts easy with a knife, and damn near self healing when I shoot it. It's blue in color, and I think I paid about six dollars a sheet.

i always liked using a 1x4 plank with a 2'x4' cardboard stapled to it. then just add pasties as needed. shove a few of these in the mud on a pond bank and instant simulated zombie. where i work these planks come on the raw material pallets as packing so its all free and makes pretty good picket fencing too. also a tangerine on top of a milk jug is a nice "reactive."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: astro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought some foam insulation from Lowe's. It's 4x8 sheet. Cuts easy with a knife, and damn near self healing when I shoot it. It's blue in color, and I think I paid about six dollars a sheet. </div></div>

This is really a good way to go. I do this on my home range, 2X4 frame supporting it. They get a lot of shooting and will go about 2 years before they are shot up enough that a heavy wind cracks them. I secure them to the frame using drywall screws with the plastic discs used on nails to hold insulation, all cheap at Lowe's.

Targets are easily hung with toothpicks. I got this idea from a heavily used DNR range, the rangemaster said it had significantly cut down their maintenance costs vs the previous plywood system.

Our Club acquired a big bunch of water damaged ceiling tiles from a contractors' supplier year ago. Essentially, they are Celotex in 2' x4' panels.

After holes appear, we staple movers' packing paper (essentially blank newsprint) as a facing behind the targets.

Pounding in a pair of 16" rebar sections, 1" apart, front and rear, about 6" into the ground, provides support that allows the ceiling tile to be slid down vertically between the rebars.

No frames, no hassle, simple to erect and take down.

Greg

If you know anyone around shipping places there are also the pieces of plywood that go over the skids that works fairly well.
Although a good afternoon with 45s make it disappear kinda quick.
The conveyor is probably the best idea, although heavy. and interesting to afix targets to at times.