• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Target camera for pistol shooting?

Nap Mag

The Activity
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2017
Does anyone use the Bullseye Target Cam https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020849881 or similar device for spotting hits on paper when shooting pistol from 25 yds and closer?
Hear me out on this. I shoot at a public range with mostly rifle shooters shooting slow fire (ie. not able to check targets frequently). I would like to increase my practice time since I am getting into USPSA and IDPA. Ideally I would like to shoot a string, go to the target and mark it with pasters or a sharpie, and shoot another string. As it stands now, after a couple of strings, I can no longer tell where my shots go, much less tell my A zone from my C zone hits. I figure my target cam would work for this. Anybody have a better idea?

This is a lot of hassle for very little added benefit. Another 10-15 hits and you won't be able to tell where your new hits are going, even with the camera. Finding a new range would be best. It's very challenging to get any real practice at practical shooting at a public range with a "community" firing line and occasional cold periods. I actually prefer practicing at the indoor range with the target tracks so I can send/return my targets at will.

This is also a side reason why dryfire at home is so important, and probably more important than live fire. You can do anything at home, limited only by your imagination. Movement, transitions, ports, barricades, etc. As long as you're working with a par timer and honestly calling your shots, you will improve, rapidly.

I use a FZ80 digital camera on anything to about 300 yards to record the target.
@ 600 the marker not the holes.
Sometimes video, sometimes single snaps in slow fire.

asshats shoot things set out at public ranges.... what ever you have at a 25 yard line needs to stay on the bench

The FZ80 (replaces my FZ70) stays on the bench with me.
100yd, 22 Nolser holes on typing paper
100yd-holes.jpg

Used target, free dots, one sheet of typing paper.

I video my matches to review my wind calls later.
(can't see holes at 600 though)
and sometimes video just for the fun of it.
Youtube, 100 yards, FZ70 at bench, 720P

and at the pistol range :)
Smile_45.jpg

Last edited:
Use 6" paper plates and change them out after each short string. My son pushing the trigger on the first string, then accepting
counseling on the merits of pulling trigger straight back and following thru.

IMG_4360.JPG