• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition target glue??

goldy1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
henderson, ky
What do you use for Target glue? Or what works best? I've tried a type of wall paper glue, but it wasn't that great. It took forever to dry and didn't spread that great.

Re: target glue??

Weldwood contact adhesive, buy it by the gallon at home depot. Put in a cheap harbour freight spray paint gun. Spray both the target & target frame, wait 10 mins the apply to frame.

We use wallpaper paste spread with a paint roller for our main targets when covering the entire piece of cardboard, and then a spray contact cement for the repair centers.

Jeffvn

Any brand or version of 3m spray adhesive works well if you spray back of target and the board you are sticking it to, and allow a minute or 2 dry time before you put them together.

Is san Diego we used some kind of powder poured in water. I don't know what it was, but it worked great. The wallpaper stufef didn't seem to work as well.

I've tried several different kinds of wallpaper glue... the thick stuff that comes in tubs works pretty well, but needs to be thinned considerably (in my opinion) to get it to dry in a reasonable amount of time, and to make it stretch further
wink.gif
Some places used to have some sort of powdered wallpaper adhesive that you mixed with water; tried it once and was less than impressed. Other places I've heard of use some sort of home-brew flour or corn starch + water mix (think paper mache) and swear by it. Certainly probably the cheapest mix available.

Recently I tried 3M 77 spray adhesive, as I needed to reface a bunch of MR target frames and handling wet paper sections, whether they are four, two or single piece faces just plain sucks by yourself - DAMHIKT!!! The main reason I was trying the spray adhesive was that we use corroplast for the backer, and getting that initial layer to adhere is problematic with the water-based adhesives like regular wallpaper glues. Some do, some... don't. Fussy $hit, I'm tellin' ya. Anywho, the spray adhesive worked pretty well, for the most part. Had some problems getting a consistent coating, and I *didn't* spray the backer first, wait, then spray the face and apply it. I think if I'd done that, it would have worked *great*. I know from experience that that stuff is next to impossible to remove if you do that - but again, working solo I needed the extended 'open' time granted by not spraying both surfaces. I paid for it in the end.

I think as the temps are warm enough now, I may start experimenting with the starch/flour + water mix for routine use (re-centering, etc.).

HTH,

Monte