• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Idea / Anyone Do This Yet?

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
I'm thinking of hanging a 3/16 x 8 inch AR400 gong behind my 100 yard TQ-4 paper target when I'm shooting with my Aperture Sights at that distance.
Anyone else do something similar to this? I would just try and center it up about 12 to 18 inches behind the target. The bullet would pass through the
cardboard backed TQ-4 Target and should echo a ring back to me, letting me know I'm at least in the black / or staying in the black. Just a thought for
a target application that may come into use down the road.

I mounted an angled plate to the back of my stand but it's to force the bullets into the ground. Should work well for your application too. I would think that the farther out you go, the handier it'd be.

Yeah, if you don't have a spotter w/ appropriate optics it sounds like a good option. Another may be to use one of the large round plastic spinners and attach your target directly to it - you'll still see it swing on a hit.

I made a target ipsc target like that that held a steel plate the size of the "a" zone behind the cardboard ipsc target. It worked well and saved time taping the target. the splatter from the plate would cut up the cardboard some but I would use heavier cardboard and it would last a long time.

Keep in mind the wash from the round impacting steel will tear up your target legs (likely wood) and stand (likely pot steel).