• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Pics, as promised.

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Well, today was perhaps my best range day ever. I first want to say thanks to all the guys here who told me to shoot my rifle before I messed with my scope mount. Your advice was spot on, and that is exactly why I asked here. These shots were made at 100 yards with my newly rebuilt Savage FP10 that I posted about a couple days ago. I shot this today at Pelham Fish and Game in Pelham, NH. After sighting in, I shot 3 5 shot groups (which were also excellent) but really wanted to challenge myself (and my rifle) with a 10 shot group, as required for posting here. So I shot this group. By the time I had fired the first 7 rounds, which were pretty much a clover leaf ragged hole group, I was so nervous and excited I could barely hold the rifle still. But somehow I managed to keep it together for the last 3 shots and came up with this. It may not be the best group ever, but I'm damn proud of it. And to think, I only paid $389 for the base rifle many years ago. It blows my mind.

2 of my closest friends who I shot with today:

IMG00045.jpg

Me, proud as hell:

IMG00046.jpg

And, of course, the target:

IMG00047.jpg

Thanks again to the forum for all the great advice. BTW, the load was 175 gr. SMK HPBT, 40 gr. IMR 4064, Federal Case, CCI Benchrest Primers.

Re: Target Pics, as promised.

Yeah, I know I don't look happy. But I was, and definitrly still in shock. And that was after waiting about 1/2 hour for the line to go cold.

That's tight man. I haven't tried it yet myself but I would think 10 shots is not just twice as hard as 5, more like 3 or 4 times as difficult. And for that price, pound for pound that's hard to beat.

You went shooting with Telly Savalas? Totally bad ass!

I could not tell what the rifle looked like. You should post pics of the rifle too. ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvilPistolGrip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's tight man. I haven't tried it yet myself but I would think 10 shots is not just twice as hard as 5, more like 3 or 4 times as difficult. And for that price, pound for pound that's hard to beat. </div></div>

Well, I've got about $2k into it total, $389 is what I paid for the rifle out of the box. Still hard to beat if you ask me, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You went shooting with Telly Savalas? Totally bad ass!

</div></div>

No, that's Daddy Warbucks. My best friend Tom, actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could not tell what the rifle looked like. You should post pics of the rifle too. ;-) </div></div>

Here's a link to the thread with my rifle pics:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1060886#Post1060886

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, you look SOOO happy. lol nice shootin' </div></div>

You seen his face, what's he got to smile about?...lol kiddin now
smile.gif

Nice shootin though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IfuHave2ask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, you look SOOO happy. lol nice shootin' </div></div>

You seen his face, what's he got to smile about?...lol kiddin now
smile.gif

Nice shootin though! </div></div>

pfft. Okay. Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful.

Gotta love a Savage 10FP. I have three of the 10FP's, one in a 10 Tactic, and all of them are sub-MOA guns. How do you like the B&C stock? A buddy has one on his rifle, and I am considering getting one for my .243 build. Is it pillar bedded, or does it use an aluminum bedding block?

Here are a couple groups I shot with my .223 yesterday, which has a Choate varminter stock and a Burris FII 4.5-14 scope. Load was 24.5gr H4895 behind a 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullet in Winchester brass (2900fps).

RugersandSharps003.jpg

RugersandSharps002.jpg

I LOVE the B&C stock. It is simply awesome. It has an aluminum bedding block, which I really like. The gun fits in it real nice and it looks and shoots great. I do love Savages. I love Remington 700's too but I don't want a rifle with a 26" or 20" barrel, I want a 22" or 24" barrel, and as far as I know Remington doesn't offer either in a tactical model. I'm really not interested in buying a new rifle just to have the barrel cut and recrowned. I don't want to drop $2400 on an M24 or XCR or whatever the hell the other high end 24" Remington is either. I'm not a cheapskate, I have a nice collection of MG's and DD's and other NFA toys, I just can't see spending a kings ransom on something that I can do with a $400 rifle. Anyway, I have always been happy with my Savage, it's always been a sub MOA gun and I'm glad to finally be done building it.

Nice groups, by the way. I assume they are 100 yard groups?

Yes, those are 100 yard groups. I've shot some sub 1" groups at 200 yards with the same gun using Black Hills 75gr ammo, but haven't tried the H4895 load at the longer distances.