• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Post Reinforcement?

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I have a number of AR500 steel plates hanging up behind my house. They have been there for years and years with the same original T-post. A few months ago some relatives came over to shoot which was totally fine. After they were done, a few days later I noticed that they shot through and blew the main support out of some of the posts.

I was considering re-arranging everything anyway, so I pulled up each post and re-mounted everything with different mounting attachment methods. Did that and everything looked great. Then the same two came over to shoot again and low and behold they shot up the brand new T-posts AGAIN. In probably ten years I never shot the posts holding up my targets. They can't hit anything AR500 worth a crap, but they certainly can hit the T-posts from various distances.

The net result is, I am going to have to pull up several posts (again) and replace them, which leads to my asking the brain trust here to give me some ideas about how to protect the T-posts. It's not that posts are expensive, but rather, it's a pain in the ass to go pull them up out of the ground and re-mount my targets all the time.

I have seen a number of companies that sell AR500 T-post protectors. The problem is they are expensive. In some cases from the prices I see it would cost several hundred bucks to protect a few fence posts, (which I might do anyway under the premise of 'buy once cry once') but I am not totally sold yet. The other problem is that the targets are at various heights so initially I might have to change some of that up if I go that route. It will also limit me in the future should I decide to switch things up again because I don't have the stuff to cut AR500 to custom lengths. There are a few other downsides as well such as (supposedly) I would need to use their mounting solutions as well, which is even more $$$.

One idea that popped into my head is to get some treated 4x4 lumber and cut it to the length I like with a chainsaw and just bolt it on the post below the target. I have zero illusions that a 4x4 would stop any kind of rifle bullet, but maybe it could slow things down enough to prevent damage to the post behind it. Typically no one is shooting any larger calibers anymore so generally speaking we are talking about 5.56 or 300BLK (AR cartridges) and pistol rounds.

If anyone has any ideas to accomplish my goal please let me know by posting it up below. After I get a few ideas and weigh my options I will purchase what I need.

I get what you’re saying/asking and the struggle is real, but really man, t-posts cost less than the 4x4 protection would cost. If pulling them up is such a pain, invest in a t-post puller along with a t-post driver . Easy peasy.

Also, bring it up the issue with your relatives. It’s not that much to ask that they pay more attention while they are blasting away for free at your private range.

Edit for pictures:

1712708368502.png

1712708447788.png

Dial in a full rev of up elevation before you hand them a rifle.

Reactions: lash
I too have a hole in a t-post from where a "relative" shot it 😉.

I cheat and use a tractor to pull/drive them if the ground is dry and hard, but that is a bit excessive for a purchase if you don't already have them. A good soak in water will loosen things up considerably, or waiting until after a rain for maintenance.

No way would I start trying to reinforce the t-post as I can have dozens about all the time with various fencing projects. However that chap puller tool and jack are pretty cool looking for the hobbyist.

Reactions: AmmoFort
To expand on my previous post, I’ve been running long range matches for many years. Replacing t-posts is just one of the things that comes with many people shooting at steel over time. In the case of matches, there’s the added factor of time stress.

Reactions: MadDuner
The struggle is real.
I’m going to rebuild my portable stands soon.

View attachment 8392850

Buddy of mine couldn't get his 300NM to shoot, so he dropped it off for a couple months along with a bunch of reloading supplies. I had a blast (literally), until I tested at 650. Had my brand new 1/4" AR500, 30" gong up and shot it once. Data was good, so I went and pulled the gong. Sure as shit, put a dent in my new gong...serves my dumbass right.

Reactions: lash and MadDuner
Buddy of mine couldn't get his 300NM to shoot, so he dropped it off for a couple months along with a bunch of reloading supplies. I had a blast (literally), until I tested at 650. Had my brand new 1/4" AR500, 30" gong up and shot it once. Data was good, so I went and pulled the gong. Sure as shit, put a dent in my new gong...serves my dumbass right.
I got some .5” thick AR500 at full size USPSA silhouettes...and that stuff gets heavy fast!

I like a 1/4 AR gong…at 1000 plus. 👍🏻😁

Reactions: MadDuner
I have a number of AR500 steel plates hanging up behind my house. They have been there for years and years with the same original T-post. A few months ago some relatives came over to shoot which was totally fine. After they were done, a few days later I noticed that they shot through and blew the main support out of some of the posts.

I was considering re-arranging everything anyway, so I pulled up each post and re-mounted everything with different mounting attachment methods. Did that and everything looked great. Then the same two came over to shoot again and low and behold they shot up the brand new T-posts AGAIN. In probably ten years I never shot the posts holding up my targets. They can't hit anything AR500 worth a crap, but they certainly can hit the T-posts from various distances.

The net result is, I am going to have to pull up several posts (again) and replace them, which leads to my asking the brain trust here to give me some ideas about how to protect the T-posts. It's not that posts are expensive, but rather, it's a pain in the ass to go pull them up out of the ground and re-mount my targets all the time.

I have seen a number of companies that sell AR500 T-post protectors. The problem is they are expensive. In some cases from the prices I see it would cost several hundred bucks to protect a few fence posts, (which I might do anyway under the premise of 'buy once cry once') but I am not totally sold yet. The other problem is that the targets are at various heights so initially I might have to change some of that up if I go that route. It will also limit me in the future should I decide to switch things up again because I don't have the stuff to cut AR500 to custom lengths. There are a few other downsides as well such as (supposedly) I would need to use their mounting solutions as well, which is even more $$$.

One idea that popped into my head is to get some treated 4x4 lumber and cut it to the length I like with a chainsaw and just bolt it on the post below the target. I have zero illusions that a 4x4 would stop any kind of rifle bullet, but maybe it could slow things down enough to prevent damage to the post behind it. Typically no one is shooting any larger calibers anymore so generally speaking we are talking about 5.56 or 300BLK (AR cartridges) and pistol rounds.

If anyone has any ideas to accomplish my goal please let me know by posting it up below. After I get a few ideas and weigh my options I will purchase what I need.
My view is screw post protectors and just don’t let them shoot your targets….but this attitude is prob why my relatives hate me! Haha

I get what you’re saying/asking and the struggle is real, but really man, t-posts cost less than the 4x4 protection would cost. If pulling them up is such a pain, invest in a t-post puller along with a t-post driver . Easy peasy.

Also, bring it up the issue with your relatives. It’s not that much to ask that they pay more attention while they are blasting away for free at your private range.

Edit for pictures:

View attachment 8392841

View attachment 8392843
You ain’t had blisters till you run a pounder for three weeks straight

I mean, it's a <$10 T-post. If you hit it, most shots are only going to damage the web, not the spine. To shoot through the spine would require multiple hits in the exact same spot. All it has to do is hold the target up. If the target is still standing it's good to go.

Shoot the suckers until the target falls down (if that's even possible), then replace it and quit worrying about it. Consider it a consumable, and frankly one of the cheapest in that group.

Edit for pictures:

View attachment 8392841

View attachment 8392843
Did you know you can actually use the driver to pull the posts too (if you're patient)?

"hey guys, next time you come over to shoot, buy some posts and bring them with you. If you shoot up the ones there, just replace it before you leave. Thanks"

I too have a hole in a t-post from where a "relative" shot it 😉.

I cheat and use a tractor to pull/drive them if the ground is dry and hard, but that is a bit excessive for a purchase if you don't already have them. A good soak in water will loosen things up considerably, or waiting until after a rain for maintenance.

No way would I start trying to reinforce the t-post as I can have dozens about all the time with various fencing projects. However that chap puller tool and jack are pretty cool looking for the hobbyist.
Story time:

A buddy and I are going to pull up a bunch of old t-posts. This is years ago, and as usual we had been nippin and sippin all day. Tie the chain around the post, and he would pull it out with the tractor. Easy undo the chain on to the next, I tie, he would pull away.

Making great progress, I guess we had done an easy 20 of the things.

Then one starts to bend, no big deal, sometimes they come out easy sometimes not. Then SNAP, BING......oh hell.

The T-post had snapped at the base, flew forward about 10-12' and hit the PTO on the tractor like a spear. Put a good burr on the pto it hit it that hard.

About that time we decided that was not the best way to be removing the t-posts, and perhaps using the bucket to pull them up would be safer.

With how fast that happened, I bet it would have gone clear through him and if it did not kill him then and there, the chain that came along with the post would not have done any favors.

I was not on the tractor, so I can't include that in the 101 ways I almost died.

Story time:

A buddy and I are going to pull up a bunch of old t-posts. This is years ago, and as usual we had been nippin and sippin all day. Tie the chain around the post, and he would pull it out with the tractor. Easy undo the chain on to the next, I tie, he would pull away.

Making great progress, I guess we had done an easy 20 of the things.

Then one starts to bend, no big deal, sometimes they come out easy sometimes not. Then SNAP, BING......oh hell.

The T-post had snapped at the base, flew forward about 10-12' and hit the PTO on the tractor like a spear. Put a good burr on the pto it hit it that hard.

About that time we decided that was not the best way to be removing the t-posts, and perhaps using the bucket to pull them up would be safer.

With how fast that happened, I bet it would have gone clear through him and if it did not kill him then and there, the chain that came along with the post would not have done any favors.

I was not on the tractor, so I can't include that in the 101 ways I almost died.

Yes ...always with the front end loader. Never by pulling... that's how you end up with a t-post in your PTO 😄. Sorry, I assumed everyone did it the same way.

FWIW, you can drive them real fast with a front end loader too. One guy holds upright, the other guy just lowers the bucket and presses the post in. I just use a post driver if I only have 4-5 to do. If I have a quarter mile to run, my wife is certainly out there in a tractor, lowering the bucket as I hold posts.

To the OP, you have just gotten unlucky. It is going to happen sooner or later. Things like a 4x4 or whatever might last a few more hits, but sooner or later it is going to get chewed up. Issue with wood there is also the chance the splatter will chew it up.

When I very first setup my home range roughly 10 years ago I set an old tractor tire down there and hung a plate inside it.

1712750798688.png

I also stapled some targets. I don't think I had even used it yet at this point, it was really to set some crap down there to see how it would look before putting dirt in front of the RR ties. This is the only photo I have of the tire and that is what I want to say. This was an OLD and VERY HARD tire off my old ford. I drilled a hole in the tread part of the tire, ran a cable through, then out another hole, hung a plate in there. I really wanted to see and capture as best I could the splatter.

I was floored at just how tore up that inside of the tire got. I bet it was worn thin in about a month, now I had a new home range and was shooting A LOT, but still wow. And the power of that splatter. Really made me think and I built up the sides of the range so the "legs" of the U shape are now as high as the back stop. If there was a top it would be a tunnel.

I bring that up because the wood might last longer and take several hits. It can be damaged by the splatter from other plates. Again I have some wood currently for one plate, and I have had to replace it from time to time, just a 2x4.

here is a little more current photo of the home range, the dirt that had been piled in front of the RR ties is now all over grown, you might see some in the back still poking through. The boards behind are to walk on in the wet. This area will stand in water.

The black things are a former trampoline frame, now you know why so many country rednecks have shit everywhere, gonna use that for somethin. During their life they got quite a few holes in them. You will see the one on the far left has some angle iron welded to it, and you can see some hits on it....that, and this is the truth, test shots. I was wondering if I could/should armor plate the legs as that is where most of the damage comes from. Yes I admit I have hit it, but again in truth it really is other people. They have cut the thin cord that has the small hanging cardboard targets. Have you ever tried to shoot a rope in half Clint Eastwood style.....impossible, but for someone missing the target by a good inch nope, cut clean in two.

Anyway the 3/4 thick angle iron did stop all handgun rounds, but did nothing for rifle, and IIRC it did not stop really warm 357's out of my lever gun. And anything centerfire rifle just forget about it. At the time I was moving from handgun games and my thought was to play one of the long range games, so I was moving to rifles, but still shot a great deal of handgun usually when I had people out. It was just not worth it.

To fix the holes I tried several different things, not sure what would be best. Some I cut the hole out and welded in new metal....too much work. Some I cut down a few bolts, pushed those into the holes welded in place, grinder to look good....too much work, and....

Others I just welded the bolt in place and left it....then like the story on the T-post above I worried about making a spear out of a bolt that got hit by a bullet, or the bullet deflecting in some odd way. No I don't like that way.

What I ended up doing is just cleaning the paint and rust, and filling the area with weld. Not sure it is right, but who knows, hopefully god loves stupid people, he must as there is so many of them, and perhaps this action of repair counts me in that group.

I also welded a couple bolts on the top of the frame to hold the cable that held the plate.

For handguns the cables work just fine, and I really like how the plates really swing. With rifles however, the cable is just not strong enough, so all have not been replaced with chain.

Anyhoo that is a long post on how I have my home place setup.

1712751187185.png

1712751789679.png

Wouldn't you know it... Last night before I went to sleep I was browsing the internet when I happened on a company that had 1.5" x 13.5" AR 500 strips on sale that are meant to be post protectors. On top of that they were throwing in some free 4" gongs with your order. Not sure what I will do with the extra gongs, but hey at least I will have them.

On top of that I had a coupon code as well. Not even taking into account those free gongs they are throwing in with my code and all that I got them for around just under half off including shipping.

Anyway that problem solved itself (I guess) and it didn't cost me a several hundred dollars either. At the very least it will be insurance that won't wear out anytime soon.