• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Range Correction...Double Check My Math

3bnRanger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Happy Father's Day Gentlemen!

I'm through my 1st week of Sniper School at OPOTA in London, Ohio. Our Instructor wants us ready for a cold bore shot at 300 yards on Monday....I would appreciate a math check.

Here's the specs: Remington PSS .308, Federal Match 168gr BTHP MK, Leupold Tactical-.25moa increments, sight height = 2.1", zero is 100 yards, zero conditions are standard. Of course I will adjust for temperature and humidity at the time of the shot so I'm strictly interested in checking my elevation correction.

I came up with an adjustment of 4.679 MOA and would therefore correct 18 clicks up. Range profile is level. Also, does anyone have an accurate way to measure scope height with a McCann Industries picatinny night scope rail attached....I'm having a difficult time in obtaining an accurate measurement. Thanks in advance gentleman.

Re: Target Range Correction...Double Check My Math

That is right, pretty much 5 MOA is baseline 308, so fine tuning it to your rifle giving you 4.5 seems about right.

I would suggest spending as much time dry firing prior to the shot, even before the class. Dry fire on the line and you'll reduce any cold bore deviation you might have by inoculating yourself to that first round flinch which causes the cold bore deviation. <span style="font-style: italic">(providing your didn't clean it last night)</span>

Scope height is center of the bore to center of the scope tube, you don't have to get to the millimeter, but you can use the hole in the receiver if you have to.