• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I'm looking at buying some targets and considering
  1. Is a KYL setup beneficial over just a single target
  2. Is a KYL setup better to be progressively smaller targets at a single distance or a single size target at progressively longer distances
  3. Is there benefit to imposing constraints by limiting target size to something like an 8-10" kill-zone size target

Lets start with #3. This comes down to what we are training for. Ifs its hunting, then having a kill zone size target is appropriate. If its competition shooting then having 1 to 2 MOA targets work well. If you are new to long range shooing having 2-3 MOA targets might be needed to get you started and have fun, happy impacts.

Now #1. If the targets is large, like 12" sq inside 400 yards, its not going to do you much good. Inside 400 I like to use the KYLs to push me to hit smaller targets. Having a KYL can help us learn our limits. Limits in our rifle, limits in us, limits in positional shooting, so yes, I find them beneficial. But a KYL can also create bad habits. If we can't quite hit the 4th plate we'll go back to hitting the 3rd plate and not force ourselves to hit that 4th plate. This is where a single plate can help.

Finally #2. You will want targets at further distances to aid in learning wind calling. If we can hit a 3" plate at 300 yards great, but that didn't help you hit a 20"plate at 700 because we haven't learned to call the wind. Having 2 plates are further distances can help a lot. An easy big target to know we are in the right ball park and then a smaller target to really dial in.

When I started putting steel up I started with nice big plates to make easy hits. Then as I got better I moved those plates further away and hung smaller plates in thier place. Finally I added a KYL at 300yds.

Either way, what ever targets you choose, surfing a bullet onto any steel plate the most satisfying immediate response you'll experience. Enjoy.

I am a big fan of the saying "aim small miss small".

If you are shooting 2-3moa targets you might be pinging the target while reinforcing bad habits and not paying attention to how you're calling your shots. As long as you have a spotter who can help you make adjustments I think working on smaller targets at closer distances will help you nail down fundamentals and improve your shooting overall.

It depends on the type of shooting you are doing and the distances you shoot. If you are able to reach out to 800+ on any given day you should be able to tell if you're hits drop off significantly past 400 yards. If you're only able to shoot at shorter distances you may not realize that you're developing bad habits.

Either way, I would practice on the smallest target you're able to hit. Even if it takes a few adjustments to get on target.

Reactions: 47guy and Bro Mo
1 and 1.5 to 2 moa targets is what i like to practice with...start with the 1 moa and if your not hitting it then move to the 1.5-2 moa and see why...if your a good shooter then its usually wind if not then most likely something your doing...i also like to set a big target at mid distance just in case i need to see if its an equipment issue...practice small and it makes everything big when you shoot a match.

Hang Fast Targets hanger system allows for multiple targets to be hung on a Standard T Post. I use the KYL system on my range using the setup in the pic.
In addition I have a 2 plate swinger with a 6" and a 4" swinging target when things get dialed in.

We also have a 4 plate rifle rated fully armored dueling tree that has plates available in 3", 4", 6" and 8" sizes @ 1/4", 3/8"and 1/2" thickness.
The Dueling trees are available with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" FRONT ARMOR..... indestructible. Plates are interchangable without tools.
Swqv6We.jpg
64eRFsC.jpg

zGqAwmj.jpg
gVo4ruL.jpg

Last edited: