• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? Target Sizes for different Distances ?

shawn57nomad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Iowa (God's Country)
Can anyone give me the sizes, i.e. 5x7-150yds, of targets needed for 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, and 200 Yards for 22LR shooting. I found a spot at my inlaws in a gulch that has lots of wooded cover to the east and west. Gonna set up there for practice. Thanks in advance.

Re: ? Target Sizes for different Distances ?

Not so sure there really is a formula for this, Shawn. Here at SH we shoot at a 200 yard gong that is 5x7" and also one that is a 200 yard 5" disc in our monthly long range matches.

The Tactical folk out in California are shooting at 200 yard - 6" gongs,,, so it's a tough call to make. I've shot at gongs as small as 3.5 x 3.5 inch and 4x5 inches at 200 yards - (both very doable), so I would imagine whichever size you find challenging should be the size to go with.

Good luck!
smile.gif

only thing i can imput is to visit the NRA site for the type of targets / sizes they use in their rimfire competitions, that is if you want to mimic what is done by the shooting sports.

otherwise, a life size woodchuck, squirrel, rabbit, coyote or an idpa target would do fine for realistic sized game.

watching the biathilon, they use silver dollar sized targets at 164 ft. (54 yards).

maybe make up your own "ratios" based on distance

maybe even make them all the same size, and make a "out of bounds" circle. any hits outside of that don't count.

if it gets to be common place of constant hits "in bounds", you can always trim them down a bit.

we were shooting 3.5" at 100 here in our monthly rimfire matches, but got almost automatic 25 of 25 so we went to 2.5" which is offering more of a challenge.

Thanks guys for the info. I will consult the NRA pages and see what they are doing as reference and go from there. Much appreciated. I guess whatever each likes, to each his own huh? I am cool with that, the more challenging the better! Thanks!

these are store bought and easy to acquire. No trips to the welder.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

Sharpshooter Spinner Target
Product # 46221 -SDA22

or

Duplex Spinner Target
Product # 46422 -DQA22

Out past 100 yards they are sporty. I've shot at them at 200 yards. Have to admit missed a few times.

One club we shot with used MR-52 targets and another used SR targets at 200. The black area of an MR-52 is about 11 3/4" in diameter.

The best way is to buy a pack of the targets. Specify the MR-52"C" or SR-"C" targets. They are for center repair of the whole target and they're pretty cheap. MR-52 "C" targets are printed on 12 3/4" paper stock._Search "targets" for a source.

Flash

am not sure if what your asking. all you want is a formula to be able to find the size of a target at a shorter range, right? cuase thats just a simple math formula.

Competitive paper targets tend to be sized with reference to MOA.

F class targets have their ten-rings sized at around 1MOA (1" at 100yd, 10" at 1000yd), with an x-ring half that size. Other highpower rifle targets are size twice that size, 2" ten at 100yd, 20" ten at 1000yd.

If you're making your own, I find that a medium gray works better than black as a filler shade, allowing hits to be more visible with optics on the target face, while still providing sufficient contrast to work effectively with iron sights.

Greg

yeah friggin white waste from the sky to my drive! can't wait, seriously thinking about moving to MS where I was stationed previously so i can own just about any firearm i please. LOL! Howitzer to be owned by me on my front lawn, but of course not fired within city limits...hahahahah!